Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq9 6.0. heads,cam,full bolt ons,magnaflow 3' good enough ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq9 6.0. heads,cam,full bolt ons,magnaflow 3' good enough ???

ok guys like the tittles says. im looking to see if this is holding me back. i have a 6.0 lq9, victor jr efi, ms3 cam, 241 ported polished milled heads, full bolt on's and i have an off road y i think tsp with a 3' magnaflow system. i would like to know what u guys think if this y pipe magnaflow set up is holding my motor back. i love that the car is so quiet now. had true duals and loved it! till i gutted the car sounds too loud for me every thing shakes and u cant even hear the radio.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A different y pipe (still catless) might net you a handful of hp (~5) so no it's not really holding anything back.

A 2.5"+ true dual with an x pipe might be worth a few more hp over that.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redtan
A different y pipe (still catless) might net you a handful of hp (~5) so no it's not really holding anything back.

A 2.5"+ true dual with an x pipe might be worth a few more hp over that.
thanks for the reply

i had a true dual 3'' mandrel bend h-pipe with magnaflow bullets. but the drone was killing me. also they told me that the set up i have will give me back pressure and will net more hp at the end. is this true i was thinking about doing the 4''. im guessing sense its so quiet now my mind might be playing tricks on me lol

im also thinking a big shot of nitrous in the near future. but ill ad a 3 in cutout out at the 4'' y to compensate and add more exhaust flow...
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I went from a single Hooker catback to dumped 3 duals and I could feel alot of low and midrange. Never had it on the dyno but I definately felt a difference. That was a heads/cam stock bottom end. I don't really think a 3" single system would give you more power than a 3 dual set up. Back pressure is bad. Why not run the duals under the axle?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What numbers did you put down. What trans and who port the heads
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I went from a single Hooker catback to dumped 3 duals and I could feel alot of low and midrange. Never had it on the dyno but I definately felt a difference. That was a heads/cam stock bottom end. I don't really think a 3" single system would give you more power than a 3 dual set up. Back pressure is bad. Why not run the duals under the axle?
yea i know it wont give me more power. im saying if feels like its holding me back but not sure if its the noise or if it really is. under the axle doesn't look good u can see the pipes from the back of the car.

Originally Posted by sbf
What numbers did you put down. What trans and who port the heads
i haven't dynoed the car. i street tuned it and that was it. the heads were ported by a friend of mine that says he's the **** porting the combo before was 5.7 ls1 with same heads and same cam true duals and now everything the same on a 6.0 lq9 with y pipe but feels slower...

with the 5.7 i went 7.1 at the 1/8 at 90 mph. im taking it to the track this Friday to see what it runs...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

don't know what it is but i ran a 7.6 last night hit the trans brake at 4000 1.7 1.8 6.0s dont know if its the exhaust or the converter
Old 04-13-2013, 03:34 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

i would put the dual 3 back on with a flowmaster y merge (dual 3 into single 3.5 or 4). how long were the bullets? the flowmaster y merge has a smoother transition and really helps get rid of drone. the hooker maxflow straight flowing 14 inch case muffler is nice muffler to add. magnaflow oval case 14 case would also be good.

with car gutted, hard to get quiet. i would put some dynamat extreme sound deadner. adds weight but it is not in the front so not bad.

but definitely you need dual 3s exiting from headers with an lq9 6.0 and big cam. no doubt. i oughta know....
Old 04-13-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by low2001gmc
i would put the dual 3 back on with a flowmaster y merge (dual 3 into single 3.5 or 4). how long were the bullets? the flowmaster y merge has a smoother transition and really helps get rid of drone. the hooker maxflow straight flowing 14 inch case muffler is nice muffler to add. magnaflow oval case 14 case would also be good.

with car gutted, hard to get quiet. i would put some dynamat extreme sound deadner. adds weight but it is not in the front so not bad.

but definitely you need dual 3s exiting from headers with an lq9 6.0 and big cam. no doubt. i oughta know....

i think the bullets were 14 or 16 in not sure. i just got tired of everyone saying my car is not a dd or a street friendly car. so i quiet it down but i see and feel that is held back. i didn't know if it was the exhaust or the converter. *** now i have a way tighter converter.... i have the magna flow case right now
Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the help so far. would like some more info some more people shim in.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well went open header to the track and picked back up what i had los os im guessing it was the exhaust only things changed were exhaust and plugs
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Unless you are running a very high quality 4" merge into an open cutout, the true duals will pick up peak power and a lot of area under the curve to any F-Body catback once you're over 400rwhp and especially once you hit 450rwhp.

A 3" open pipe can't support that sort of HP without pretty big losses. At 450+ the duals pick up a lot of torque compared to just a 3" cutout - but you change your A/F running open vs closed. Which is why I advocate running one or the other. Of course, the duals will always be louder than something like a Magnaflow, but you could run the duals out the back and use Flowmaster 44s or something and get the noise down.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a magnaflow setup on a 2000 F-body literally pick up nothing by opening up the cut out. I think you make the most by optimizing the Y. I do think true duals will make a touch more power.

We also had a 99 twin turbo formula with a magnaflow catback. That car picked up 55 rwhp by opening up the cutout. A turbo car is a whole different animal though and any exhaust restriction will kill them quick.

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Custom Camshafts & Valvetrain - Remote HPtuners Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Unless you are running a very high quality 4" merge into an open cutout, the true duals will pick up peak power and a lot of area under the curve to any F-Body catback once you're over 400rwhp and especially once you hit 450rwhp.

A 3" open pipe can't support that sort of HP without pretty big losses. At 450+ the duals pick up a lot of torque compared to just a 3" cutout - but you change your A/F running open vs closed. Which is why I advocate running one or the other. Of course, the duals will always be louder than something like a Magnaflow, but you could run the duals out the back and use Flowmaster 44s or something and get the noise down.
im going back to true dual x pipe with 4 bullet dyno max mufflers and see how it goes. im going to run them out to the back under the diff see how it works out. i don't know how much power im putting down never dynoed the car always street tune. but by my mph it should be 440 wheel hp

Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC
We had a magnaflow setup on a 2000 F-body literally pick up nothing by opening up the cut out. I think you make the most by optimizing the Y. I do think true duals will make a touch more power.

We also had a 99 twin turbo formula with a magnaflow catback. That car picked up 55 rwhp by opening up the cutout. A turbo car is a whole different animal though and any exhaust restriction will kill them quick.
i know turbo anything after the down pipe is a waist but in n/a nitrous def felt the difference tho. the car went from 89 mph to 94 so either exhaust or plugs made big difference...

by the mph it went from 380 hp to 440
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Change out the Y-pipe merger for either a Flowmaster, or Vibrant with a 4" exit, then run it into a 4" cut-out followed by a 4" to 3" reducer and back into the magnaflow cat back.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Change out the Y-pipe merger for either a Flowmaster, or Vibrant with a 4" exit, then run it into a 4" cut-out followed by a 4" to 3" reducer and back into the magnaflow cat back.
im gonna go with true dual 3' x with 4 3' in dyno max mufflers 2 before and 2 after the diff call it a day

Quick Reply: lq9 6.0. heads,cam,full bolt ons,magnaflow 3' good enough ???