Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPartsDirect vs. GMPerformance

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default GMPartsDirect vs. GMPerformance

I apologize if this is the wrong section to post this. I am new to the LSx world and am building a Turbo LQ4 84 Nissan 300zx. I am going to be placing an order very soon for all my gaskets to finish this rebuild.

My question is are the parts on GMPartsDirect.com any different then what you find online at many aftermarket parts companies labeled as "GM Performance"? The prices are lower from GMPartsDirect, but I want to purchase the latest and greatest for all my gaskets and seals. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Parts I need to buy:

LS2 Lifter Guides
LS9 Head Gaskets
Front and rear cover gaskets
Front and rear main seals
Oil Pan Gasket
LS2 timing chain
LS1 crank sprocket and cam sprocket
Oil pressure sending unit (Top back of block)
Valve seals oem replacement to use PAC 1518 springs

Any input to the best/economical sources is appreciated. Thank you
Old 05-23-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iv always bought from GMPartsDirect. never had a problem.

check out the ws6store for some of your parts as well. sometimes there cheaper and i think have free shipping if you spend $100 or more.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
iv always bought from GMPartsDirect. never had a problem.

check out the ws6store for some of your parts as well. sometimes there cheaper and i think have free shipping if you spend $100 or more.
Thank you for the input!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

+1 for ws6store
Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMpartsdirect is Flow Chevrolet in, I believe, NC.

Their parts are cheap, but shipping and handling is expensive.

It's much better to order several things from them at once.

Even shipped, their prices beat my local LA dealer prices, which are above MSRP.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM Parts Direct is just a dealership that sells GM parts. It's no different than SDPC or GM Parts House. The difference is that GM Parts Direct is usually cheaper than all the others even with their exorbitant shipping fees.

GM Performance Parts is now Chevrolet Performance Parts. They aren't a distributer/retailer; rather, they are the performance parts arm of GM.

At the end of the day, get a part number and shop around.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
At the end of the day, get a part number and shop around.

What Demonspeed says...It's little more work, but, there are sometimes big differences in prices and shipping between vendors.

(I actually get a good discount from my local GM dealer. They beat or match a lot of the online places and they never charge me freight.)
Old 05-23-2013, 03:37 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I stock everything you need, and I'll do my best to beat anyone's shipped prices if you give me the chance.

Also, for the price of the LS2 chain with new GM sprockets we could save you a little more money with an aftermarket timing set. But if you prefer the GM, we could do it either way you like.

We are a Genuine GM dealer, a Chevrolet Performance dealer, and we are also a dealer for most all aftermarket performance companies.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Last edited by Scoggin Dickey; 05-23-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:43 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CattleAc
(I actually get a good discount from my local GM dealer. They beat or match a lot of the online places and they never charge me freight.)
This is the best thing to try and do -- create a relationship with your local parts department. Even if they mark it up 10% from cost they're still making money on something they wouldn't have normally sold -- and they've got a customer who will keep buying and sending people their way.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Scoggin Dickey: I will give you the opportunity, and if it goes well, I will be purchasing much more in the future. I am building a forged LS1 so I will need some things of course, so lets talk
Old 05-23-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

scoggin is also good. i have bought from them as well. me and there website dont get along well tho lol
Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I've purchased from Scoggin - never had any issues. They usually have great deals.

But I've bought a lot from WS6Store and Mike K is awesome. I changed an order a few weeks back and he covered the cost difference. It was like $6 to swap the parts, but he told me not to worry about it. They have generally the best prices around, a REALLY good selection of stuff, and awesome customer service.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

I always shop around for parts but keep coming back to gmpartsdirect. Even with their inflated shipping fee they are usually cheaper than anyone by enough to justify the shipping or spend the time haggling to get someone else to match. I think my only oem part so far that has not come from gmpd is the ctsv accessory drive that Fred beans blew everyone out of the water on but summit pm'd it so I got it from them.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only buy stuff from GM parts Direct when it's a no kidding GM special part. Like a crossover tube, console lid, special bolt or screw....Other than that engine parts like everything you mentioned, I stay away. Look for someone like Summit Racing, Texas Speed etc (Essentially someone who has the stuff in stock).

GM parts direct has NOTHING in stock. You order from them and it takes a week or more for them to ship. They order it from their vendor, wait to get delivered to them and then they ship to you. Nothing like a 2 week wait for parts....Not only that...NO returns on special ordered parts (which everything is)

Quick Reply: GMPartsDirect vs. GMPerformance