Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found some small cracks in my L33 block???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found some small cracks in my L33 block???

Bought this motor as a pull out and I was disassembling it down to the shortblock to check out the internals today...

I found three very small hairline cracks around the edge of the oil galley plug that is right above the oil filter.

They look superficial, and I do not think they extend past the thin lip that encompasses the plug.

Here are my questions... The rest of this motor so far has looked pretty good. I was going to take it to the machine shop and have it re-ringed, honed, and have them check out the bearings, so I think they could tack these up with a TIG pretty easily, but...

1. Do you guys think these are from a casting imperfection?

2. If not, what would cause these? I can't find any other cracks anywhere else. The starter boss and all of the other holes on the outside of the block look great.

Opinions on whether or not I should even have these welded up?

Pics.

Thanks,
Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Being a threaded plug, cracks there shouldn't be an issue, but! WTF would cause that area to crack in the first place? I wonder if someone tried ramming a cup plug in there, I'd want to find out more before trusting it...
Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Teching In

I know right ^^
The stock allen head plug was in the hole... Nothing has ever been touched on this motor as far as I can tell. Stock everything, most bolts had never been touched. You could tell that nothing had been broken loose in the past. None of the bolts had any marks on them, and all of the gaskets were stock GM. Plugs and wires didn't even look to have ever been changed. Ran the VIN and supposedly only 58,xxx on this motor. IDK??
Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Well, it wasn't leaking before, right? It would have been caked in oil and dirt. I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like it cracked when the machine cut the pocket for the plug.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Well, it wasn't leaking before, right? It would have been caked in oil and dirt. I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like it cracked when the machine cut the pocket for the plug.
My thoughts after studying it were the same as yours. I personally at this point believe it happened at GM during manufacturing, but I want to get as many peoples opinion on it before I decide whether to have them tacked up or put it out of mind. I am interested to see if anyone has seen anything similar or not on any other blocks.

No leaks, it was dry as a bone around the plug.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I just happen to be working on an L33 as well, the block is on the workbench.

Same cracks as yours! I didn't remove the plugs either.
I think you are good to go!

Ron
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

If it wasn't leaking, and it doesn't go anywhere near the threads, i'd leave it be. It's not a high-stress area, and cracks like that aren't going to propagate further into the block.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Teching In

^^ That's good to hear from both of you.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Found some small cracks in my L33 block???