Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use any oil on GM head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Do you use any oil on GM head bolts?

I am installing Gm head bolts on my motor and AI Heads, do I use any oil on the threads.....??
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

No! This ain't a SBC...the GM head bolts should already have a dry sealant on the bottom portion of the threads already, if they don't then they have already been used and are useless, other than making a head bolt thread chaser..
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Thank you, you got me... I am somewhat new to LS1 engines. I have done several SBCs. I have already chased the threads with a bolt I ground down on 2 sides. So I will torque heads down tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

No doubt, in my opinion it's much easier to work on LS engines because the gasket/sealing of engine is done with oring gaskets rather than dealing with a bunch of silicone and all that...if you can do a SBC you definitely can do an LS engine...another word of advice is once you do the until torque of the head bolts draw a vertical line on the head of each bolt with a marker bc it makes life much easier when trying to put the final "twist" on the bolts rather than trying to eye up how many degrees you have turn the bolt and it will get you the perfect amount of clamp on the head...good luck with the project bro
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Thanks, I will do that. Yeah its in a 1980 Trans am....putting the new subframe in next week...hopefully having it running in a couple of weeks. I have a new SLP oil pump too.....should I take the plugs out and prime the pump just spinning the motor with the coils unplugged and fuel pump relay out?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

To prime, that's what I would do.

Let the starter kick the engine over a few time without the plugs or fuel. As long as you used assembly grease on the pushrods, cam, rockers, and poured some oil over the top end, then priming of the pump with the starter will be sufficient.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^yes sir
Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
No doubt, in my opinion it's much easier to work on LS engines because the gasket/sealing of engine is done with oring gaskets rather than dealing with a bunch of silicone and all that...if you can do a SBC you definitely can do an LS engine...another word of advice is once you do the until torque of the head bolts draw a vertical line on the head of each bolt with a marker bc it makes life much easier when trying to put the final "twist" on the bolts rather than trying to eye up how many degrees you have turn the bolt and it will get you the perfect amount of clamp on the head...good luck with the project bro
good tip on marking the bolts
Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Pfadt is sponsoring now? Excellent. Wish you guys would do coilovers for the F-Body!

Quick Reply: Do you use any oil on GM head bolts?