Sponsored by:

Hy-per Lube Zinc Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hy-per Lube Zinc Replacement

Gents,

My local advance started carrying this stuff. Since my cam was replaced back in Nov. with a slightly larger (but same profile: LSL) exhaust lobe I've had a little more sewing machine noise than I would care for. This was using Rotella T6 (5W-40) and Valvoline VR1 (10W-30) Racing Oil (the blue no detergent stuff, not normal VR1). Today I switched to regular Valvoline SynPower (10W-30) and added a bottle of Hy-per Lube Zinc replacement, just as an experiment.

What I can say immediately is that the valve train has much less noise. It really sounds quite a bit better. I took some videos with my phone, but I really couldn't hear the difference in those. I can definitely hear the difference when driving, especially when you pull up next to someone. This stuff is higher than a cat's back at $16 a bottle, but I figured WTH. Anyone with experience got anything to say about it? I've linked to a few threads below the pic of the bottle.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2786001&page=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1798894
Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Banned

that stuff is pretty pricey... Lucas also makes a aditive with zinc... wasnt too sold on this stuff reading some info bout this product... it's not zinc, its a "replacement" i work at an auto parts store, spent some time reading into all the aditives. $16 is a bit high for it to... but, onthe other hand glad it made a difference for u, some guys seen nothing!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

What preload are you running on the Johnsons lifters? .030"?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just run Brad Penn oil, fairly priced and haven't had an oil related problem.

IMO, People overthink oil big time!! But whats more important is oil pressure. Make sure your oil pump is up to the task of higher rpms if your running your engine hard. With that being said second thing to look at is oil quality, I run Brad Penn oil because its affordable and has Zinc in it.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Launching!

What are the long term effects of using the Hyper Lube Zinc Replacement?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't need zinc unless you're breaking in a flat tappet cam...
Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have not tried that one. But I did buy a quart of Rislone zinc @ Advance $9.99
I do agree it quieted it down quite a bit and this was right after a cam install
that was much larger than before.

Quote:
What are the long term effects of using the Hyper Lube Zinc Replacement?

None if you do not run cats.

Quote: Don't need zinc unless you're breaking in a flat tappet cam...

That's debatable and it gets pretty heavy. Do a search there was a pretty good zinc thread not too long ago.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I saw that today in O'Reillys. $17 there.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
Don't agree. The new SN rated oils have much reduced protection, which when our motors were built, it was in there. Also, many are running stiffer springs, faster cams and higher RPM. I will stick with a high zinc oil. If you want to run the low protection EPA certified SN oil, good luck with it.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Don't agree. The new SN rated oils have much reduced protection, which when our motors were built, it was in there. Also, many are running stiffer springs, faster cams and higher RPM. I will stick with a high zinc oil. If you want to run the low protection EPA certified SN oil, good luck with it.
I'll take my chances. I haven't seen any problems associated with older engines with premature wear due to "inferior" oils of today.

You can't just reduce protection of a product and claim it works for all engines. That's what the API is for.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
What preload are you running on the Johnsons lifters? .030"?
Good question Jake. When I set them up originally I was .035ish hot (0.042" cold). I did not replace the cam myself as I was 100 miles from home and short on wifely good will. New cam was the same core and should have given about the same (fairly deep) preload, but I havent checked myself. It was checked by the very reputable shop that did the wrenching. Its on the list obviously, the set that failed with the prototype rollers was quieter until they weren't. EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, there were some oils those didn't like as well. Hopefully I wrote that down somewhere.

Hardly any sewing machine noise now. Im thinking that is worth $16 to me, but im going to retry just the untreated oil next...just to make sure.

Obviously I am with Vettenuts, because I don't expect my cats to live 10 years anyway. But in case you haven't looked, this is zinc replacement and it says it will not damage cats.

Last edited by therabidweasel; 07-29-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Please see below.

I agree. If everything stays bone stock you "should" be OK. But as soon as valve trains and rev limiters start changing you need to reevaluate your protection and make sure its adequate for the intended uses. Zinc is an anti-wear additive. If its not there, you're motor is fucked. EPA is mandating zinc levels in retail oils be reduced. Why anyone can't see that is beyond me.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Then why doesn't GM recommend zinc additive with a 7000rpm motor like the z06? Not trying to argue but a roller valve train doesn't require it because of the the roller lifters, zinc helps a flat tappet where it's metal on metal at the cam, but I can't disagree with wanting added "protection", to each his own...I worked at autozone so I have to talk a little **** because you got it at advanced lol...
Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

The zddp is not just for the lifters. It provides a cushion for all valve train parts.
Even if it only helps a little it dosnt hurt at all.

I use gibbs ls30 on my stuff

Tim
Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Then why doesn't GM recommend zinc additive with a 7000rpm motor like the z06? Not trying to argue but a roller valve train doesn't require it because of the the roller lifters, zinc helps a flat tappet where it's metal on metal at the cam, but I can't disagree with wanting added "protection", to each his own...I worked at autozone so I have to talk a little **** because you got it at advanced lol...
Because the valve train is light (titanium valves), the spring forces are low. There are guys on here running 450 lb open force, which is much higher than the Z06 factory setup. GM has to design to the new requirements, most guys on here aren't even aware of what is going on with API, the EPA and how they are screwing with the oils. The oil that was Mobil-1 when your car was new no longer exists, even though the bottle remains the same.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, I'll bite. My cavalier is getting high on the miles and the valvetrain is clattering like a typical 2.2. I'll give this stuff a try to see if it quiets it down any. I've been running Castrol syntec in it since about 100k and it has seemed to help. It has 216k on it now.
All arguments here have merit, so I'm willing to give ita shot. I just have a hard time believing oil companies would just remove a critical aspect of an oil and claim no adverse effects for any engine
Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

GM has to design to the new requirements, most guys on here aren't even aware of what is going on with API, the EPA and how they are screwing with the oils.
This is the reason is not a widespread topic. If you told everyone buying new cars that their engine lifespan could possibly be reduced due to emissions (zinc being reduced) there would be a huge uproar. So they push the requirements on the oil companies and the car manufacturers try to design their best around it, and in the end 99.9% of consumers never need to know. Most don't care anyway, as long as there car cranks when they turn the key they could care less what's happening inside their engine.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a look at ZDDPlus, I've been using it in my engine(4oz bottle per oil fill)) for the last 9 months, and haven't noticed anything abnormal in the topend of my engine, or during oil/filter changes. FYI, I have noticed a clear reduction in valvetrain noise since using it in my engine.
BTW, it runs about $10 per bottle.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've heard good things about ZDDPlus as well. I'm running VR1 conventional now though and can't complain. It's good stuff, and cheap.

Quick Reply: Hy-per Lube Zinc Replacement