Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mast LS3 Small Bore Heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Mast LS3 Small Bore Heads

Looking to see if anyone has any impressions of THESE heads... What cams have they used, HP/TQ #'s as well as any track times.

I've talked to Damon @ Mast about them and even though they sell them, nobody has really provided any feedback.

First off, I know they are more "optimal" for a stroker 3.9 bore, and that's soon to come. Damon said they would be a bit lazy below 4-4.5k, but that they'd turn on like a f*cking LIGHT SWITCH there after.

With 4.10 gears, I couldn't imagine it being that bad, as well as an OPTIMIZED camshaft from FTI.

Anyone have any thoughts or contributions?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...t/viewall.html

Stick with cathedral on the the small bores.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see the benefit unless you are going to mount a blower that has a rectangular port manifold... Obviously there are a lot more options in the rectangular port so I do see the benefit there. But that said, I just priced these on MAST's website... $3600+ for the black label small bores as spec'd. And that's not even the most expensive options.

Edit: let me phrase that differently. Obviously there would be a benefit. But the cost/benefit would be high/low. Why not add a supercharger to your current setup?

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 09-28-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I say go for it Dave. Ed can take care of the "under 4000 RPM laziness with the cam he specs you. Plus, those heads will be a monster on any size stroker you decide on down the road. Have you decided what intake you plan to run if you get them?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:06 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I can't see the benefit unless you are going to mount a blower that has a rectangular port manifold... Obviously there are a lot more options in the rectangular port so I do see the benefit there. But that said, I just priced these on MAST's website... $3600+ for the black label small bores as spec'd. And that's not even the most expensive options. Edit: let me phrase that differently. Obviously there would be a benefit. But the cost/benefit would be high/low. Why not add a supercharger to your current setup?
1299 each. Not bad to me. Stands are a bill by themselves. Where did you come up with 3600?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I say go for it Dave. Ed can take care of the "under 4000 RPM laziness with the cam he specs you. Plus, those heads will be a monster on any size stroker you decide on down the road. Have you decided what intake you plan to run if you get them?
After talking to different folks, it's gonna be a stock ls3 intake. If it was an LS7 type head, then a FAST for sure.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

They sure look nice from the piston's view.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

After you sell the AFR heads and FAST, you'll have damn near funded those MAST heads. Plus, LS3 intakes can be had for cheap. Sounds like a winner to me.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I've never been impressed with LS3 heads. 225-245 cathedral port heads walk all over ported LS3s in 400cid combos. And that's where the CSA is similar and optimized for the displacement.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:30 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by Ed Curtis

They sure look nice from the piston's view.
That they do!!

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
After you sell the AFR heads and FAST, you'll have damn near funded those MAST heads. Plus, LS3 intakes can be had for cheap. Sounds like a winner to me.
That's the plan. I'll just keep the throttle body.

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I've never been impressed with LS3 heads. 225-245 cathedral port heads walk all over ported LS3s in 400cid combos. And that's where the CSA is similar and optimized for the displacement.
I think someone here soon is going to post some fairly surprising results... With a 3.9" bore
Old 09-28-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I think someone here soon is going to post some fairly surprising results... With a 3.9" bore
If by surprising you mean, "wow look at all that money he spent to make the same power as a budget 5.3 head combo", then I agree.

Perhaps there is a VERY good reason why they aren't popular

The same money will get you TFS or AFR heads, and anyone would be a fool to pass those up over a ported LS3.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
If by surprising you mean, "wow look at all that money he spent to make the same power as a budget 5.3 head combo", then I agree.

The same money will get you TFS or AFR heads, and anyone would be a fool to pass those up over a ported LS3.
You'd brighten up this thread by leaving it. Whigham is looking at something a little different, and if a cam man like Ed Curtis thinks this might be a worth while thought, maybe just, maybe there's a reason.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Already have AFR's. Looking to change it up. You're aware these aren't your typical ported stockers, right?

I've got a trick or two up my sleeve as well.

"'ll take 11* valve angles for added PTV clearance, Alex..."
Old 09-28-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 427zm
You'd brighten up this thread by leaving it. Whigham is looking at something a little different, and if a cam man like Ed Curtis thinks this might be a worth while thought, maybe just, maybe there's a reason.
What is Ed Curtis going to do that Horace Mast could not?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:48 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I agree. Every since the first small bore LS3 heads came out years ago, I didn't think they would be popular. You can bandaid it all you want with "proprietary cam specs" or different manifolds, but you can't get around the fact that those ports are just excessive for smaller displacement engines and it's proven in the torque curve every time. Mast did a very good job on their small bores, and I feel they corrected most of the LS3 design flaws, but it's not a budget head anymore.

The LS3 heads are a good head on a "modest budget", but when you take out the "modest budget" part, there are better options.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:51 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Horace has Cary working for him now, for starters. Also, these aren't the old 12* L92 heads they did...
Old 09-28-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Horace has Cary working for him now, for starters. Also, these aren't the old 12* L92 heads they did...
Well, I would agree Mast could do what Ed can do, but that's not the point I was making. The point was if a highly respected and experienced LS man such as Ed or Mast think this is a valid Head for good power, and believe there is a market for it, there has to be a reason. Generally people that are interested in making money like to make products that customers will buy in order that they can make money.

I agree with Dr. Whigham here, if we can see some solid results from LS3 small bores and the pricing can be reasonable, there maybe a move away from the cathedral group think. Don't get me wrong I am currently running cathedrals, and they make good power, but there is a reason the new LT engine family is running square ports.

I truly feel the reason shops like to push cathedral heads is because they KNOW what the results will be. Since most shops aren't sure of the results of small bore LS3's they won't push them b/c of what a customer may expect. Also, they aren't sure of what cam would be good with the small bores since there is so little experience with them out there. ED is'nt scare here, and I look forward to your combo setup Dr!
Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I guess I'm a bit surprised by some of the action in here. Since when does outside the box thinking, or tinkering, been frowned upon?

Sure, there are proven "time and time again" combos out there, but I just want to try something different.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Yeah - them POS L92 heads never impress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEH6j...ature=youtu.be

Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I'm a bit surprised by some of the action in here. Since when does outside the box thinking, or tinkering, been frowned upon?

Sure, there are proven "time and time again" combos out there, but I just want to try something different.
Originally Posted by Ed Curtis
Yeah - them POS L92 heads never impress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEH6j...ature=youtu.be

Gents, I applaud the outside the box thinking here. I look forward to the combo you put together, and the results!

Quick Reply: Mast LS3 Small Bore Heads