Next mod opinions!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next mod opinions!?

Alright guys Mods are in my sig

I have a dilema

Im trying to determine the "choke point" on my car right now or determine what would be my best bang for my buck..

I have thought about going straight to a cam and I was thinking about doing the LS7 cam as I feel its a great cam for a daily, I dont want to sacrifice to much mpg and driveability cause I have a really long commute. It will give me a decent bump in power and with the wide lsa and long exhaust duration it will be good for spray
I have an opportunity to get an ls7 cam and all the parts needed for the swap for a really good deal

I also dont have headers yet. So I can either spend 800-1000 on headers or spend 175 on a cam and parts associated. I get free tunes for either one.

Technically a cam will give more power but then a cam only works its best with headers.

Also with my spray i feel like headers would be good since im burning so much more fuel

Here is the catch though, Ive been considering doing shorties. LT's are a pain in the *** to me and so much more expensive. If there is something else I could do that would give me a good gain or capitalize on my spray, let me know! I just want the most power for my money at the moment

What do you guys think???

Last edited by Jarren_b; 10-18-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jarren_b
Alright guys Mods are in my sig

I have a dilema

Im trying to determine the "choke point" on my car right now or determine what would be my best bang for my buck..

I have thought about going straight to a cam and I was thinking about doing the 228R again as I feel its a great cam for a DD

I also dont have headers yet. So I can either spend 800-1000 on headers or spend 800 on a cam and parts associated. I get free tunes for either one.

Technically a cam will give more power but then a cam only works its best with headers.

Also with my spray i feel like headers would be good since im burning so much more fuel

Here is the catch though, Ive been considering doing shorties. LT's are a pain in the *** to me and so much more expensive. If there is something else I could do that would give me a good gain or capitalize on my spray, let me know! I just want the most power for my money at the moment

What do you guys think???
I would bite the bullet and go with some good Long Tubes! Then the cam after. Long tubes in your situation will be the best choice!Based off your modz!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Basically what point in my car is holding me back the most right now?

Exhaust? intake? cam?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ws6man29
I would bite the bullet and go with some good Long Tubes! Then the cam after. Long tubes in your situation will be the best choice!Based off your modz!
How come you think exhaust should be first?

What is holding me back more? My small stock cam or my restrictive stock exhaust lol
Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

How come you think exhaust should be first?

What is holding me back more? My small stock cam or my restrictive stock exhaust lol
The first thing to do is to get the air in quicker by intake etc.. and get it out via headers and cat back or true duals. Once the car breathes better and and get rid of the exhaust better it lays the foundation to go into cam,heads etc!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Your engine is an airpump. Headers can be worth 25-30rwhp.

Small cam like you're talking is worth maybe 15-20rwhp even with longtubes.

You can still get good mileage and good drivability out of like a ~224 duration cam with faster ramps and more lift than the LS7 camshaft. Those are worth more like 40rwhp when you have the intake and exhaust sorted. EPS has a 222/226 113 that would be good and would work well with a set of ported LS6 heads like the PRC Stage 1s. That would be a pretty good budget setup that could add 70rwhp for like $1600.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

On an LS1, why even go with an LS7 cam? The LS7 is not a Gen III engine, so a new timing set, front cover, and harness extension are needed to make it work. The parts that are required to get it to work are going to put the total cost close to if not over a custom cam that would perform better.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Launching!

listen to KCS.
best bang for your buck is LT headers,in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KCS
On an LS1, why even go with an LS7 cam? The LS7 is not a Gen III engine, so a new timing set, front cover, and harness extension are needed to make it work. The parts that are required to get it to work are going to put the total cost close to if not over a custom cam that would perform better.
Im trading a guy a spare N20 bottle for all the parts needed and the cam.. I get it free basically
Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Im trading a guy a spare N20 bottle for all the parts needed and the cam.. I get it free basically
So buy headers and install the free cam etc??
Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Just do headers for now if you want to mod something. I wouldn't bother installing a stock cam. Other then that i'd say save your money for a dd and mod the car the right way.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:17 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Oh, well that's different than what you originally said. If you're getting it free then why is there even a "this or that" decision? Do both!

Quick Reply: Next mod opinions!?