Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little help with what heads to use

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help with what heads to use

Ok Lets start with this. I don't want to hear you can't daily drive this or comments like that! And second off I understand some people on here have awesome budgets and buy 2-3k dollar heads I do not have the budget. And lastly I have been searching ALOT! Like every night for the past month for a few hours my problem is I see some ppl say get this and some ppl say its overkill, I see some ppl make 420 and then same mods not break 400.

ok motor is on the stand for a cam package. It is an ls1 with shitty 806's running an m6. So far I have the btr .660 titanium kit ms3 112 cam ported ls6 pump. This week I will be ordering the ls2 chain and btr pushrods once I can measure for length. I have headers, working on an 8.8 swap with 4.11 gears and I'm going with a true dual setup with cut outs. Here's some of my questions

-my goal is 410-420 is this realistic?
-Ls6 intake will it cut it? Some say buy fast others say it's a waste
-ported polished tb? Same questions with intake
-ported descreend maf or is stock ok?
-powerbond or similar Ud pulley ati isn't in budget

Now the big question with many variables....heads, I have 806's can I reach this? If no what if I flycut pistons and mill them? Still woulnt work how about 241's, still not there how bout milled with a local engine builder doing a slight port job on them and lastly 799 heads don't have the money for 243's can't find them for under 600. If I get the 799's what do I need to do to them or are they ok in stock form.

Thanks in advance and sorry about my rant and huge post, I'm just stuck and I know there's a lot of very knowledgable members here.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You'll probably hit 400 with the ms3 cam since its a Max effort cam and your a manual transmission..

Your build looks pretty good, if you can get some 799 heads which are 243's in disguise I would.. You would for sure go over 400+ with that combo..

241's with a mill job and valve job/bowl blend is another good budget option but to be honest the labor to do that plus the cost of the heads is starting to get up there..

I would keep your 806's for now and enjoy the cam, if you can mill them cheap and rent a fly cutter tool then I would do that..

It's not just about budget, it's also how quickly do you want to get the project done.. Dealing with multiple shops etc... Just prolongs everything..
Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

-my goal is 410-420 is this realistic?
Yes
-Ls6 intake will it cut it? Some say buy fast others say it's a waste
For the power levels you think of, YES, LS6 will cut it to about 450rwhp. FAST is not waste but that can be added down the line later.
-ported polished tb? Same questions with intake
YES, search around you can find literature on DIY write ups
-ported descreend maf or is stock ok?
From my own personal experience over the years, leave the MAF alone, do not remove screen. Once you mess with MAF you'll need some serious tuning to readjust
-powerbond or similar Ud pulley ati isn't in budget
Yeah it will help, but IMO get the best harmonic balancer you can afford, with a cam the size you're planning and the rpm it will pull, controlling bad harmonics can prolong your motor's life.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys I have tried to find the best route with the money I have/will have to spend. I found 799's at the local salvage yard for cheap, they actually have a couple sets. Let me ask this. Can I get past the 400 mark on my untouched 806's with around what I'm looking to put on the car? Is there anything I'm missing that would get me there or more on my stock 806's. Personally I don't want to touch the heads other than my spring kit but I also have a goal and want to hit it. Reason I say I would rather not touch the heads is because that's next winters project I don't want to do a minor upgrade this year and redo it big next year
Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ryant10275
Thanks guys I have tried to find the best route with the money I have/will have to spend. I found 799's at the local salvage yard for cheap, they actually have a couple sets. Let me ask this. Can I get past the 400 mark on my untouched 806's with around what I'm looking to put on the car? Is there anything I'm missing that would get me there or more on my stock 806's. Personally I don't want to touch the heads other than my spring kit but I also have a goal and want to hit it. Reason I say I would rather not touch the heads is because that's next winters project I don't want to do a minor upgrade this year and redo it big next year
If your dead set on 400+ then yes I would pick up the 799 heads..

It's all subjective, we can guess all day but usually a good cam is worth 360-390 hp and add heads to that and you are around 410-450

This is generalizing but will give you an idea of where you want to land.. Aftermarket heads/ ported stock casting heads will be in the upper end of those numbers..
Old 10-21-2013, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Ok and will I have to flycut with the 799's? I guess I'm going to go that route I can pic these up for 300 at the local yard
Old 10-21-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ryant10275
Ok and will I have to flycut with the 799's? I guess I'm going to go that route I can pic these up for 300 at the local yard
I would measure piston to valve clearance, saves all the guess work..
Old 10-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Launching!

806 heads are basically the same as 241s,no matter what you see on the net(except for the valve covers and head gaskets of course).if you do make a switch to 799s,you'll have to source new valve covers.since your on a limited budget(I am too)at the most I would get your 806s milled and the valve job freshened up.if the heads are in good shape,run them as is.depending on the miles or condition of the 799s your looking at,they could need work as well.which means more money.

Quick Reply: Little help with what heads to use