Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Motor Mounts

Ok so here is my question, I am finishing up my 6.0 build. I am looking for info on what style of motor mounts that would work best for my application. I have seen the solid mounts as well as the Polyurethane

1. http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...unts-Pair.html

2. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/en...FUgS7AodZEsAnA

Which are the best ones my car? My car is a street car?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama99z
Ok so here is my question, I am finishing up my 6.0 build. I am looking for info on what style of motor mounts that would work best for my application. I have seen the solid mounts as well as the Polyurethane

1. http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...unts-Pair.html

2. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/en...FUgS7AodZEsAnA

Which are the best ones my car? My car is a street car?
I've read that the solid motor mount cause a lot of vibration but I've never used them. I have poly mounts in my car currently and they do cause more vibration then stock but I feel like its not unbearable.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

I just put solid mounts in my car but i haven't driven it yet so i can't say. But one of the nice parts about solid mounts is I've never heard of them needing to be replaced.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Motor mounts are normally a life of the vehicle part, the "never needing replacement" argument is the dumbest one I have ever heard.
Solid mounts will break other things unless the chassis is stiff, like rollbar or rollcage stiff and at that all they will do for you is cause squeaks and rattles and reduce comfort, leave them to dedicated racecars.
Even poly is overused, it compromises comfort for no real good reason.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Motor mounts are normally a life of the vehicle part, the "never needing replacement" argument is the dumbest one I have ever heard.
Solid mounts will break other things unless the chassis is stiff, like rollbar or rollcage stiff and at that all they will do for you is cause squeaks and rattles and reduce comfort, leave them to dedicated racecars.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I have Prothane. They will raise the engine back up if your stock rubber ones are old...

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...-motor-mounts/
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Street car, then go poly mounts.
I've got poly mounts on my engine and IMO, I don't think they cause hardly any additional vibration at all over stock mounts.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Prothane Mounts Here, Love them!!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

After doing some research, I am leaning towards the prothane rather that the Energy Suspension poly mounts. From what I have read the prothane ones seem to fit better without ant modification. I guess I'll find out.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Prothane Motors are alot more stiffer than the softer energy suspension mounts, same with both companys tranny mounts too
Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I vote for the solid mounts....
they dont cause vibration.....
you will notice that your whole car rocks back and forth a little bit if you have a decent sized cam with a good amount of overlap...
but its such a small amount, on such a big vehicle, that its barely noticeable...like you might see your shifter shaking a bit but you wont feel it...

also, everything will feel more solid...its amazing how much better it feels like the power gets planted when you change....
why...because having a solid motor mount allows all the power to get transfered to the driveline instead of getting a little bit wasted in the motor mounts flexing and absorbing everything.

it is better to get a pedestal style mount rather than a clamshell style... but they both work, and you will see your engine raise up a nit with both due to the motor mount no longer compressing and flexing.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I said i have never "heard" of them needing replacement. Also i have never heard of solid mounts on the motor breaking things but if u had solid engine mounts and solid trans mounts then i could see things breaking. OP if u want stock feel stick with the softer materials. For me i didn't like how much my engine twisted when revved so i went solid. To each his own i guess
Old 12-06-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another +1 for poly mounts
Old 12-06-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I've had them all. My car currently has Prothane polys and that's what I will be staying with. Don't buy from hawks, buy from summit or another sponsor here. 1. The owner of hawks is a low down dirty sob 2. he doesn't sponsor here 3. Summit does 4. Other sponsors here carry the same mounts.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I had Spohn solids with a Prothane trans mount. I loved them. No issues at all.

The vibes increase ever so slightly, but you get used to it quickly. This was a DD car as well, and I never broke anything.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock mounts....limit strap. Best of both worlds.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I had Spohn solids with a Prothane trans mount. I loved them. No issues at all.

The vibes increase ever so slightly, but you get used to it quickly. This was a DD car as well, and I never broke anything.
+ ^^^
Daily driver here (Spohn Performance 992, Spohn Tubular LS1 Solid Motor Mounts 1998-02 Camaro V8) love them and they will cut bout 8lbs of weight over stock

less weight = faster and more gas mileage
just like the woman said that pissed in the sea , every little bit helps
Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I've had them all. My car currently has Prothane polys and that's what I will be staying with. Don't buy from hawks, buy from summit or another sponsor here. 1. The owner of hawks is a low down dirty sob 2. he doesn't sponsor here 3. Summit does 4. Other sponsors here carry the same mounts.
01ssreda4, I have decided that I am boing to go Prothane on both the motor and trans mount. As far as hawks, I've never bought anything from them personally so I can't speak on that. However I just purchase some new ARP head studs ans a ATI pulley from Summit yesterday actually,they were almost $ 60.00 higher on the studs. If anyone doesn't know it or not they will price match, they actually price match and bet the price from the other supplier by $ 1.00 It's a PITA to check around with others but on this 1 order all and all I saved almost $ 100.00. More savings = more go fast parts!!!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed a 6.0 into a customers car. I used the prothane mounts that he provided and honestly I don't real notice any extra vibrations in his car that I don't feel in mine with worn out stock rubber mounts. They were pretty easy to install with everything out the car. So I got a set for my car as well and am tryin to get motivated to go outside and get started this morning.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BKsNHRA
I just installed a 6.0 into a customers car. I used the prothane mounts that he provided and honestly I don't real notice any extra vibrations in his car that I don't feel in mine with worn out stock rubber mounts. They were pretty easy to install with everything out the car. So I got a set for my car as well and am tryin to get motivated to go outside and get started this morning.
BKsNHRA, let me know how they are once they are installed.

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts