Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impala FWD 5.3's, any good? Talk to me! :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala FWD 5.3's, any good? Talk to me! :)

So, looking for a LS1 swap and everyone is stupid over the prices for these things. A GM V-6 is $1k all day long and a LS is $4k??? Absolutely retarded!!

So, once I was over my b!tc*ing, I was looking at the 5.3's for now to get me going. I can find a MANY impala 5.3's on the cheap. What gives? Though they are FWD, will a t56 or 4L80 bolt up just as quick to one as a f-body LS1?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I gotta comment, this is at least the second time Ive seen you complain about pricing like this, where are you seeing these prices??? Why are you comparing GM's truck V6s to their HIPO V8s???
Ive seen PLENTY of complete LS1s go for way less than $4,000... Hell you could buy a brand new crate LS1 for around that back when they were new.
Have you compared prices for other engines with similar power? You'll quickly see that not only is the LS1 cheaper, but also lighter and physically smaller than just about anything in its power range.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LM7 5.3's from salvage yards are 500-800$...

LS4 will not work, it has a FWD bellhousing mount on the block and isn't compatible with anything but FWD setups or mid-engine's like Fiero.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I gotta comment, this is at least the second time Ive seen you complain about pricing like this, where are you seeing these prices??? Why are you comparing GM's truck V6s to their HIPO V8s???
Ive seen PLENTY of complete LS1s go for way less than $4,000... Hell you could buy a brand new crate LS1 for around that back when they were new.
Have you compared prices for other engines with similar power? You'll quickly see that not only is the LS1 cheaper, but also lighter and physically smaller than just about anything in its power range.
See, thats the problem with non thinking humans, just a bunch of idiots. You have the same (not physically) everything, alt, ac, brackets, wiring.... The production costs are roughly the same. The ONLY difference is 2 more pistons and 20(?)lbs of metal. Do you think that REALLY costs $1500 more to produce? And you just put up with it? Yea, I complain, its asinine and stupid. Then again, I am sure the housing boom and burst was just fine for you, made common sense and totally acceptable? Keep hanging on to that complacency theory and watch the sellers realize supply and sheepish demand. Engines will then go twice what they are now thanks to that thinking. Its happening with the housing AGAIN! Humans just dont get it! People need to take a stand when things get out of control or you have whats called our government. Then again, must be nice to have a job where you have enough money to not have to worry about it. Bravo for you bro!

Originally Posted by N20zuki
LM7 5.3's from salvage yards are 500-800$...
LS4 will not work, it has a FWD bellhousing mount on the block and isn't compatible with anything but FWD setups or mid-engine's like Fiero.
True, but thats just for the block. If you add in the wire harness, pully/acc brackets etc that match up to a "pull", your back up to $1500. Thats knocking on the door of a LS1 which then begs the "decisions decisions delima, lol.

Explains why they are so cheap and normal priced (in my opinion). Looks like I am just gonna have to take it up the kazoo to get an LS1?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by camarotestdriver; 10-02-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:39 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by camarotestdriver
See, thats the problem with non thinking humans, just a bunch of idiots. You have the same (not physically) everything, alt, ac, brackets, wiring.... The production costs are roughly the same. The ONLY difference is 2 more pistons and 20(?)lbs of metal. Do you think that REALLY costs $1500 more to produce? And you just put up with it? Yea, I complain, its asinine and stupid. Then again, I am sure the housing boom and burst was just fine for you, made common sense and totally acceptable? Keep hanging on to that complacency theory and watch the sellers realize supply and sheepish demand. Engines will then go twice what they are now thanks to that thinking. Its happening with the housing AGAIN! Humans just dont get it! People need to take a stand when things get out of control or you have whats called our government. Then again, must be nice to have a job where you have enough money to not have to worry about it. Bravo for you bro!

True, but thats just for the block. If you add in the wire harness, pully/acc brackets etc that match up to a "pull", your back up to $1500. Thats knocking on the door of a LS1 which then begs the "decisions decisions delima, lol.

Explains why they are so cheap and normal priced (in my opinion). Looks like I am just gonna have to take it up the kazoo to get an LS1?

Thanks for the info.
How about you find another hobby if you can't afford to enjoy it?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

See, thats the problem with non thinking humans, just a bunch of idiots. You have the same (not physically) everything, alt, ac, brackets, wiring.... The production costs are roughly the same. The ONLY difference is 2 more pistons and 20(?)lbs of metal. Do you think that REALLY costs $1500 more to produce?
You really think the LS1 is essentially the same as the V6's with just two more cylinders? Really? Thats the problem with non thinking humans... You clearly have a lot of research to do.
Again, find me a 350hp factory engine for what you can buy an LS1 for.

And you just put up with it? Yea, I complain, its asinine and stupid. Then again, I am sure the housing boom and burst was just fine for you, made common sense and totally acceptable? Keep hanging on to that complacency theory and watch the sellers realize supply and sheepish demand. Engines will then go twice what they are now thanks to that thinking. Its happening with the housing AGAIN! Humans just dont get it! People need to take a stand when things get out of control or you have whats called our government. Then again, must be nice to have a job where you have enough money to not have to worry about it. Bravo for you bro!
Dude, get back on the meds... Or off them, whatever calms you down.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Um no... They sell for 500-800$ with accessories, wire harness, PCM, Throttle body to oil pan... Obviously you are going off of Facebook social groups for your prices and craigslist, Get on the phone and call salvage yards. Most salvage yards are even on Ebay, If you had your location and are somewhere inside the continental US I would show you a few in your area with very quick searches.

If your starting to complain now about how much $$$ a junkyard pull out motor is then your in for a rude awakening when you start buying parts to complete the swap.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Complete-Eng...p=mtr&_nkw=5.3

Last edited by N20zuki; 10-03-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.
The cost to design/engineer, manufacture, test, and produce an engine isn't just the sum of metal you use. Are you so dense that you don't realize that when you buy anything, you're not just paying for materials?

You go engineer an engine as revolutionary as the LS1, out your man hours in and money out of your pocket, and see how much you charge for it lol.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Epicness.....in 3,2,1....
Old 10-04-2014, 09:06 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by N20zuki
I have been on ebay, car-parts.cXm, CL and every place in between "literally" every second I am not working and until I go to sleep for a LONG time. I have search EVERYTHING from full cars to junk yards to friends for well over 7 months. There is NOTHING to my door for $800 that’s not a paper weight or I would not be on here whining and crying.

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
Are you so dense that you don't realize that when you buy anything, you're not just paying for materials?.
Yes, but I AM smart enough to know that be it a Brigs and Stratton engine or a LS1 engine, the SAME time (okay, lets keep this fair V-6 vs V-8) goes into each setup testing the same things. Only diff is 2 more cylinders, aka material. They didn’t make one that serves you coffee and gives you oral pleasure while driving and the other doesn’t. How dense are you not to realize that?

Like I said, a $500 diff is understandable, but a $2k+??? I am not buying it at this point, especially when said $800 fully dressed motors were dime a dozen and now you can only get a bare block for that, and, I do mean stripped. I have checked well into it. I am not spouting off some unscientific results, lol.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta pay to play! And a fwd motor won't work, unless your putting it in the back of a fiero.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Don't matter how much in extra material it cost. Its worth what ppl are willing to pay... and the market.

a big Mac only has seeds on the bun and 1000 island dressing but a double cheese burger is basically the same and is 1/4 the price. So your paying that extra 75% for seeds on the bun and some lettuce, it's the way of the world. YOU WANT THE BIG MAC than you GOTA pay for it lol
Old 10-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ws6turbo
Don't matter how much in extra material it cost. Its worth what ppl are willing to pay... and the market.

a big Mac only has seeds on the bun and 1000 island dressing but a double cheese burger is basically the same and is 1/4 the price. So your paying that extra 75% for seeds on the bun and some lettuce, it's the way of the world. YOU WANT THE BIG MAC than you GOTA pay for it lol
75% more just for seeds? Holy crap!! Dont get me started on another rant at least until I am finished with this one!

Fine, I will have a Big Mac please......
Old 10-29-2014, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Holy ****, guy. That 4.3 V6 shared absolutely nothing with the LS engines. That motor was over 30 years old when they were still putting it in trucks last year. The damn thing didn't even get MPFI until something like 2004 or 2005. So, the 4.3 isn't just a LS1 with two cylinders missing.

And if you can't find a 5.3 for under a grand complete , then you aren't looking at all.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been on ebay, car-parts.cXm, CL and every place in between "literally" every second I am not working and until I go to sleep for a LONG time. I have search EVERYTHING from full cars to junk yards to friends for well over 7 months. There is NOTHING to my door for $800 that’s not a paper weight or I would not be on here whining and crying.
Ebay is not a good indicator of the market. Car-part.com is. And if you haven't found a complete 5.3 in good condition for under $800 on there within 50-100 miles, you're either flat out lying or you're an idiot.

Yes, but I AM smart
No, you're not:

be it a Brigs and Stratton engine or a LS1 engine, the SAME time (okay, lets keep this fair V-6 vs V-8) goes into each setup testing the same things. Only diff is 2 more cylinders, aka material. They didn’t make one that serves you coffee and gives you oral pleasure while driving and the other doesn’t. How dense are you not to realize that?
USED engine prices are not set by material, developmental, and production costs. They're set by the market: demand and availability.

If you apologize for being an *** and provide your zip code I'll locate what you seek.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Holy ****, guy. That 4.3 V6 shared absolutely nothing with the LS engines. That motor was over 30 years old when they were still putting it in trucks last year. The damn thing didn't even get MPFI until something like 2004 or 2005. So, the 4.3 isn't just a LS1 with two cylinders missing.

And if you can't find a 5.3 for under a grand complete , then you aren't looking at all.

While I would agree with you, they STILL had to do research on that engine which I am sure took just as much time and effort, and, finally, the LS engine WERE comparitivley priced at one time to the 6 banger a while back, but, they went fkn awall sky high. Dont tell me they didnt. Ask my dishes that are piled up and havnt been done in months (rinsed well but not washed and put away). Explain that to the 3 loads of laundry that hasnt been done and the work i am not doing which my boss is yelling at me about because I am constantly looking. I am in the virginia/maryland/DC area and there is NOTHING that resembles what you speak, price wise. Last I checked, i WAS able to get a 5.3 totally stripped block for $300. Catch was, it was full of water. Trust me, I am not talking ****.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ I was gonna say the internet (especially ebay) ain't the only place to look, ... what do you think ppl did before internet. And from the sounds you want it at your own price of choice so if that's the case eBay ain't no place for a bargain.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Teching In

5 minutes on car part and $425 dollars later, i had an running lq4 shipped to my door...
Old 10-29-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Just -5 brain cells by reading this thread

Quick Reply: Impala FWD 5.3's, any good? Talk to me! :)