Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam for all stock LS1 factory exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam for all stock LS1 factory exhaust manifolds

See my sig....My 2002 factory stock....except for a SLP y-pipe put down 330 hp 342 torque. 6 speed car. Pretty good numbers. Is there a cam that will be easy on springs, get close to the same MPG but will give more power? I want the same power curves but with an additional 50 hp and 50 torque. What is this EPS baby cam I hear about or does Tick Performance have something? I like maybe more torque lower in the curve if possible. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok so you want a cam that gets close to the same gas mileage as stock but will add another 50 hp...us that correct?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

I would be happy with 40 hp and 40 torque increase...just don't want it too choppy or my fuel mileage to get hammered.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Supercharger.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

So you have stock Manifolds, ORY, and a stock catback? Factory manifolds will choke any cam's true potential.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cam for stock manifolds, and idle sound.

check out the old TR "old man cam" cheaTR, and I think it was MTi that had a stealth, and stealth II cam. For reading info on something like that. I would think any good cm guy could get you something like that currently. Like ed curtis, hes really good and doing a LS cam for what you want out of it
Old 10-14-2014, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My truck picked up 40rwhp with Kip at Cam Motion's "drop in" truck cam. He makes something similar for the ls1.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there a cam that will be easy on springs, get close to the same MPG but will give more power? I want the same power curves but with an additional 50 hp and 50 torque.
There is no such thing. If that was the case, EVERYONE would be running one. You can gain the power on stock manifold sure, but it will kill your mpgs.

If you want power AND mpgs then you need to up compression and get more efficient headflow. I did an hci recently with significantly higher compression and a pretty good sized cam but actually get better mpgs on the highway then when I was stock. Around town is a different story, but I gained quite a bit of power and average mpgs didn't go down at all since cruising efficiency makes up for the inefficiency around town.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My truck has lost no noticeable amount of MPG in town, on the highway it seems like it might have picked up a little under half a MPG but needs to be tested more long term for confirmation.

It uses ls6 springs I got online for $40 shipped. I used stock pushrods and changed literally nothing but the cam and springs.

Most people would look at the cam specs and turn their nose up...I was even skeptical and thought it might gain 10rwhp on a good day. But clearly the combination of a little more duration/lift and Cam Motions lobe profile is one that works well for people who want what the OP wants from his car.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Technically installing a mild cam like the old man cam won't kill gas mileage on its own.

Driving it such that you will actually notice the extra hp OTOH, will.

I've gotten 24.5 mpg in a heads/cam LS1 Trans Am on the highway, then 6 the next day at an open road race.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Technically installing a mild cam like the old man cam won't kill gas mileage on its own.
However, a cam that will gain him 50/50 accross the board as he wants would kill your gas mileage in town. There's no way around it, extra duration and lift will allow more air and fuel in. Idling is what really gets ya.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

How does more air get around the throttle plate at idle?

Seriously, there are tradeoffs, like valvespring life, increased emissions, but fuel economy is a minor one.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

How does more air get around the throttle plate at idle?
First of all the cylinders get their air from the intake manifold and is based on how long the intake valve is open for. More duration and higher lift = more air/fuel mixture in. There's no way around it. How do you think aftermarket cams make power if not by allowing more air/fuel in during each intake stroke. It's internal combustion engine 101 man.

Second of all what decent sized cam (again one that gains 50hp not some baby cam) have you heard of that doesn't require idle tuning aka letting in more air? Not only that, but usually it comes at the expense of a higher commanded RPM which not only draws in more air on it's own but also wastes more fuel due to having more intake strokes per minute of idling.

Seriously, there are tradeoffs, like valvespring life, increased emissions, but fuel economy is a minor one.
Lol ok, putting in a big cam doesn't waste anymore fuel than stock. You can believe what you want. Let's not even begin to talk about cams with big overlap that basically lets fresh fuel out the exhaust pipe without even burning it off in the power stroke of the engine. That surely is good for fuel economy
Old 10-16-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

A) We aren't talking about a "big cam". It is a relatively small cam.

B) I didn't say no more, I said driven the same, there was very little difference. In reality it is <10%, since my heads/much larger cam 01 Trans Am lost ~10% (certainly <15%) on the highway.

I can probably dig up mileage logs from long ago when my car had a TR220/114 cam, and mileage was close to stock too.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Found it. This is a web page from my old website, last write date is 3/23/2003.

Gas mileage in a modified 2001 Trans Am 6-speed
The car has a number of mods, but the ones that might affect gas mileage are: TR220/114 cam (220º/.553"/114), FLP long tube headers with cats, Hooker catback, lid, under drive pulley and tuning. In this configuration the car dyno'd 380 rwhp and 372 rwtq. Gears are the stock 3.42:1.
Leg 1: Grand Prairie TX. to Joplin MO.

Tire pressure was at 38 front and 33 rear. There are a number of stop lights and towns to slow down for, but the bulk of this leg was 65-70 mph speed limit highway. The ac was not used, but the (flip up) headlights were run for about half the miles, and the defroster was used for a little while.

Miles driven: 350

Time: 5.6 hours

Average speed: 62.5 mph

Fuel used: 12.7 gallons

Mileage: 27.55 mpg
Leg 2: Joplin MO. to Pacific MO.

Tire pressure was at 38 front and 33 rear. This was all sixth gear highway with no stops. I did have to run the lights and defroster some as it rained.

Miles driven: 251

Time: 3.4 hours

Average speed: 73.8 mph

Fuel used: 8.9 gallons

Mileage: 28.2 mpg
Leg 3: Sullivan MO. to Big Cabin OK.

Tire pressure was at 32 front and 27 rear. This was all sixth gear highway with no stops. I had the T-tops out and did not run the ac or defroster.

Miles driven: 263

Time: 3.6 hours

Average speed: 73.0 mph

Fuel used: 10.1 gallons

Mileage: 26.0 mpg
Leg 4: Big Cabin OK. to Grand Prairie TX.

Tire pressure was at 32 front and 27 rear. I put the T-tops back in for this leg, but had to run the air conditioner for much of it as it was hot. I also drove it to the car wash and around town a little to burn up the rest of the crappy 91 octane I bought in Big Cabin. There were several stops and a traffic jamb on this leg. Still, much of it was spent between 65-78 on the highway in sixth gear.

Miles driven: 340

Time: 5.6 hours

Average speed: 60.7 mph

Fuel used: 13.4 gallons

Mileage: 25.4 mpg
City driving:

The car typically gets 16-18 mpg in town driving with a little highway. Ironically, this is about the same mileage it got when stock making 311 rwhp and 334 rwtq.
Road course mileage:

Tank 1, 2 sessions in the dry. 42.1 miles, 7.1 gallons of gas for 5.78 mpg.

Tank 2, 1 wet and one dry session. 42.4 miles, 5.8 gallons of gas for 7.3 mpg.

Tank 3, 2 wet and 2 short dry sessions. 69.7 miles, 9.7 gallons of gas for 7.18 mpg.

EDIT: The tire pressures were lower on the way back because I decided to run an autoX while in St. Louis, and had to let air out at the event to keep them ideal. I didn't have a pump and didn't bother with it.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

We aren't talking about a "big cam". It is a relatively small cam.
I understand your setup may be different, but the OP asked for and I quote "an additional 50 hp and 50 torque". A cam that will make that kinda power will not be relatively small and will not be minor hit to fuel economy.

I didn't say no more, I said driven the same, there was very little difference. In reality it is <10%, since my heads/much larger cam 01 Trans Am lost ~10% (certainly <15%) on the highway.
Again I'm talking cam only as the OP was inquiring about. I know that a properly setup hci can gain efficiency, which is why a few posts before this I mentioned just that (as in if you want power AND efficiency you need to do some headwork).

I can probably dig up mileage logs from long ago when my car had a TR220/114 cam, and mileage was close to stock too.
A TR220 is a tiny cam with the same lift as an OEM LS6 cam and negative overlap. Of course that's not gonna affect efficiency much, but it also ain't gaining you 50rwhp on an otherwise 100% stock engine.

My point is, yes a cam can be done and not affect mileage. But a big enough cam to gain the power that the OP wishes to gain will in fact have a hit on fuel efficiency, especially around town.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good points, you know your stuff. I respectfully disagree, but we aren't really that far apart.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With stock exhaust manifolds I'd go with at least a 8* I/E split(@.05") to help offset the more restrictive exhaust.
So, does the car need to be able to pass a tailpipe emission test..?

I'd go with a cam like a 218/226 with a lsa in the 110-114 range(depending on emission testing) and keep the IVC about 38*+ 1* . Overlap will vary from -6* to +2* .

Contact Cam Motion.
http://www.cammotion.com/contact.php
IMO, Cam Motion cam lobes are mild(ramp rate is roughly 55) and can be had with almost lift you want, plus they're cut to closer tolerance and on better cores than Comp Cams. So what you get is a cam that actually very closely matches it advertised specs, and should last a very long time, along with the rest of the valve train.

IMO, Comp Cam still makes a good cam, just the quality standard appears to be slightly lower. If you decide you want to go with a Comp Cam for cost reasons, then I'd recommend go with a custom grind using the XtremeRPM (highlift) lobes for both I & E cam lobes. For slightly more power at the sacrifice of some valve train life go with LXL lobes for the intake side an the XtremeRPM (highlift) lobes for the exhaust lobes. FYI, this will still be milder the EPS cam lobes.

As far as the MPG, on the interstate/freeway I would expect it not change IF you continue to drive the same on the interstate/freeway, but with city/town driving I would expect it to go down at least a little bit since I highly doubt you'll be able to resist pushing the gas pedal at least a little bit harder than normal.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-17-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Cam for all stock LS1 factory exhaust manifolds