Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are roller rockers worth the money for a bolt on application?
Yes
23.81%
No
76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

School me on Roller Rockers (in a bolt on car)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default School me on Roller Rockers (in a bolt on car)

Now that I'll be selling my cammed SS for a C5Z, I've been researching bolt on's quite a bit. One thing I cant wrap my head around is roller rockers. What ones are best for stock application? I'm sure I could go out and spend over 1K and be fine, but is it overkill for a stock application?

I see the SLP 1.85 kit for around $1,060 with the springs. Not sure if that's a good deal or not.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Now that I'll be selling my cammed SS for a C5Z, I've been researching bolt on's quite a bit. One thing I cant wrap my head around is roller rockers. What ones are best for stock application? I'm sure I could go out and spend over 1K and be fine, but is it overkill for a stock application?

I see the SLP 1.85 kit for around $1,060 with the springs. Not sure if that's a good deal or not.
Not really a bad idea for a bolt on car, but you don't need $1k worth of rockers. Scorpion rockers or even Yella Terras would work for much less dinero.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Know It All
Not really a bad idea for a bolt on car, but you don't need $1k worth of rockers. Scorpion rockers or even Yella Terras would work for much less dinero.
I'd never spend 1k on rockers. Just hypothetically speaking.

I liked the slp kit because it came with the springs. I'm just unsure of the quality.

Maybe yellatera and BTR spring kit?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd never spend 1k on rockers. Just hypothetically speaking.

I liked the slp kit because it came with the springs. I'm just unsure of the quality.

Maybe yellatera and BTR spring kit?
Yeah, those would work. The YT rockers and BTR springs are pretty popular.

Are you planning a cam swap in the future?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no need for roller rockers in a bolt on car. A lot of knowledgeable people will tell you to stay with factory rockers with the trunion upgrade as they are lighter and don't really have problems when the valvetrain is set up properly. Why do you feel you need roller rockers?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Know It All
Yeah, those would work. The YT rockers and BTR springs are pretty popular.

Are you planning a cam swap in the future?
Probably not. I want the stock drive ability and stay smog legal. I have a pretty good bolt on list going but I don't have a clue when it comes to rockers. Don't hear much talk about them.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowsol95
There is no real need for roller rockers in a bolt on car. A lot of knowledgeable people will tell you to stay with factory rockers with the trunion upgrade as they are lighter and don't really have problems when the valvetrain is set up properly. Why do you feel you need roller rockers?
I like the challenge of squeezing every last HP in a bolt on application. Gaining power under the curve is a good thing and maybe it will carry power a little further.

On a C5Z, you have to shift into 4th gear before you trap. That kind of sucks. I could run a 28" tire but I've been told it will be a dog in 1st and 2nd then. Maybe the rockers will allow me to ride 3rd out.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Roller rockers aren't going to do what you think they will with a stock cam bolt on car. There are much better places to spend $1000 IMO. Usually the guys that switch to roller rockers have bronze valve guides with big lift cams or the new low lash solid roller guys.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Roller rockers aren't going to do what you think they will with a stock cam bolt on car. There are much better places to spend $1000 IMO. Usually the guys that switch to roller rockers have bronze valve guides with big lift cams or the new low lash solid roller guys.
Totally agree. It will most likely be one of the last mods I do. A fast intake costs 850$ and gains are around 15 hp. If I picked up 8 or so with rockers I'd be happy. Plus the valve train would be more reliable. Does that sound about right?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

I'm not an expert, but I find it hard to believe you would pick up that much with the stock cam. If you went to the higher 1.85 ratio you talked about you might pick up something with the added total valve lift, but you have to remember that roller rockers are significantly heavier than the stock rockers. The trade off for heavier weight might wash the gains from added lift. If the choice is between a fast intake or roller rockers 9/10 people will tell you to buy the fast.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is not true. If he goes with 1.7 roller rockers then yes there really are very little hp gains. However you dont have to spend 1k on roller rockers. Yella terras which is what I would go with are 500 brand new and sell for 350 used frequently. 1.8's will gain him 15hp or so and about the same in torque.

The c5z's had issues with springs breaking on them stock and were recalled. Now personally with a car like the c5z I would be changing springs as a preventative measure with that in mind because I have no idea if the springs were ever changed, and depending on the mileage of the car the springs are probably about due anyway. So I see springs as a wear item and the cost isnt calculated into the rockers. He will also need pushrods, they are cheap at under 100 bucks a set. On an m6 cars most guys and myself included like to go to a hardened pushrod anyway in the even of a mis shift.

Totally agree. It will most likely be one of the last mods I do. A fast intake costs 850$ and gains are around 15 hp. If I picked up 8 or so with rockers I'd be happy. Plus the valve train would be more reliable. Does that sound about right?
Scotty on an ls6 a fast might get you 10hp, doug picked up more with his but I havent seen another case replicate that lol his was ported though as well. But I agree I love chasing every last hp with bolt ons. I think a set of 1.8 rockers are the way to go. I'm going to do a set of those on my ls3 in the future after I have the intake reworked. You will gain 10-15hp with them and like I said above get yella terra ultralite 1.8's.

The old ones had some issues but in 2011 I believe the new versions are much better. They can be identified by where the numbers are stamped. on the old ones 1.8 is stamped on the left side or middle the newest ones have it on the right side which is what you want. They are very wuality rockers and what sets them apart is that they have a very low moi. They are still mroe than stock but are much less than other aftermarket like scorpion or HS which means it will be easier on springs and other things. Contact Tony or Martin as they use them frequently and can spec you the proper spring.

I would do all the bolt ons first and not have the car dyno tuned until you get the rockers on as they will certainly change the tune to an extent.

I have held them all in my hand and nothing beats a set of JESELS but YT's are the next best thing and are affordable.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not an expert, but I find it hard to believe you would pick up that much with the stock cam. If you went to the higher 1.85 ratio you talked about you might pick up something with the added total valve lift, but you have to remember that roller rockers are significantly heavier than the stock rockers. The trade off for heavier weight might wash the gains from added lift. If the choice is between a fast intake or roller rockers 9/10 people will tell you to buy the fast.
You're probably right. I have a fast intake now. I think it's way over priced. I came across an LS6 intake from Peak performance IIRC, you can buy it ported. The gains from it are impressive.

I think the SLP rockers and close to the stock area when compared to weight.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

$1000 was the figure he gave, I didn't make that up. I said the 1.85 would probably make a few more, but 15whp is really hard to believe. Have any back to back dynos to prove that theory? Added lift helps, but that does nothing for his problem of having to shift into fourth. Without changing the cam I don't see roller rockers helping add stability in the upper rpm ranges to rev more. The cam will be out of steam way before that anyway.

Last edited by slowsol95; 07-07-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Roller rockers were a foundation mod in OLDER engines with ball fulcrum rockers and are a lot LESS worthwhile on gen3+ engines that come with a roller fulcrum. Drop it.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Roller rockers were a foundation mod in OLDER engines with ball fulcrum rockers and are a lot LESS worthwhile on gen3+ engines that come with a roller fulcrum. Drop it.
Changing to 1.8 ratio and picking up more HP isn't worth it?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:26 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default School me on Roller Rockers (in a bolt on car)

Just me, but is go with the Scorpion 1.8's all day if that's the route you want to go. They're 100% USA made and haven't had a failure since their latest revision. A lot of people still judge them on their previous issues. This isn't the case anymore. They're a quality roller rocker.

If I could find a set used for a good price of throw them on my car, absolutely.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The title makes it sound like were just comparing rockers to RR's and ill agree there but if he goes to 1.8's like suggested there is absolutely a gain. not as much as a cam but certainly not worthless.
$1000 was the figure he gave, I didn't make that up. I said the 1.85 would probably make a few more, but 15whp is really hard to believe. Have any back to back dynos to prove that theory? Added lift helps, but that does nothing for his problem of having to shift into fourth. Without changing the cam I don't see roller rockers helping add stability in the upper rpm ranges to rev more. The cam will be out of steam way before that anyway.
1.8 rokers change everything except when the valves open and close. duration is slightly effected as well as lift as well as the ramp rate....these are a couple i foun done on ls1 cars. smaller cam but worse heads. all ls motors, ls3's, l76, ls2, ls6 etc all pick up similar gains with 1.8 rockers. HIOssiliver on here gained 13whp i believe on his bolt on ls6. I expect to pick up the same on my ls3 when i do it.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...rwhp-gain.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-tomorrow.html

i found those in 5 min there are plenty more out there.

Whigham, I agree the scorpions are nice pieces but after weighing quite a few different RR's with siilar designs to the scorpions as well as talking to tony I really would pay a little more for the YT's. Holding them in your hand you can feel the obvious weight difference, also the yt uses a 2 rocker shaft design whereas the scorpions bolt in like factory rockers that to me is worth the extra 150-200. It will be much easier to control on the springs, besides whats 2 bills when modding a car lol?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The summit brand rockers are rebadged scorpions. A little cheaper and in stock. Fwiw if I was going through the trouble of pulling the valve covers I'd drop in a set of beefier pushrods also. Pushrod deflection cost a lot more horsepower than people think. Especially with these aggressive lobed hydraulic roller cams.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HISS
The summit brand rockers are rebadged scorpions. A little cheaper and in stock. Fwiw if I was going through the trouble of pulling the valve covers I'd drop in a set of beefier pushrods also. Pushrod deflection cost a lot more horsepower than people think. Especially with these aggressive lobed hydraulic roller cams.
That's good to know.

New push rods with stock cam? This will be going in a C5Z.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

i normally would say go with 11/32 pushrods and you could but on a stock cam i think the 5/16 ones would be fine but 11/32 wouldnt hurt. if it had an aftermarket cam 11/32 all day or larger

Quick Reply: School me on Roller Rockers (in a bolt on car)