Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Additives

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additives

My car's almost at 40k miles now and I've been thinking about running some seafoam in it or top engine cleaner in the hopes that either of those would help prolong engine life. One of my coworkers asked me about something called slick50? or something? I've never heard of it but I thought I'd ask.... What do you guys think about these internal cleaners? Any experience with them?
Old 06-27-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Stay away from Slick 50. As for Seafoam you might want to go ahead and invest in a Catch Can. AMW is a sponsor and they have an awesome catch can for about $88.

The only thing i've put in my car is Red Line Fuel System Cleaner. But I only have 17k miles and a catch can so who knows.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't done anything but add some fuel injector cleaner here and there, I have 84k miles on my car, and it runs fine. Some of the crap out there is just gimick so don't bother, just get some injector/system cleaner in here and there and it will be fine.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
I haven't done anything but add some fuel injector cleaner here and there, I have 84k miles on my car, and it runs fine. Some of the crap out there is just gimick so don't bother, just get some injector/system cleaner in here and there and it will be fine.

the sea foam acctually works, its the injector cleaners that are the gimicks. the only way u can clean your injectors is with the right tool, which most people don't have. i use gm top engine cleaner, u would be suprised how much it cleans stuff up
Old 06-27-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

But does it foul your plugs or cause any other problems? I just throw injector cleaner in every 8k miles or so, not all the time, just when I remember or see it on sale for $2.99 I don't know about that sea foam, never seen it anywhere or know what it does.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

hmm I figured that the injection cleaner would work... always seemed to do a little good for me. I just got the redline cause I know they make good ****. So what's the deal with Seafoam... never seen it before
Old 06-27-2004, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Seafoam is an all petroleum cleaner that you can pour just about anywhere in your car according to the bottle. Crankcase, fuel tank, throttle body, etc. all for different cleanings. The guy I know who uses it in his focus uses it in the throttle body. You poor a third of a quart into an open throttle body. Run the car for five minutes. Turn it off for a bit and then go drive it. Its supposed to disolve carbon and be cat and o2 sensor safe. Its also supposed to produce a pretty impressive cloud out your exhaust from what my friend has told me. What I don't know is if its harsh on engine parts or if that cloud is just the stuff itself burning.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

You know Seafoam works, because after you suck it into your engine white smoke pours out of your exhaust. It basically cleans carbon deposits out of your engine.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LittleDonny
You know Seafoam works, because after you suck it into your engine white smoke pours out of your exhaust. It basically cleans carbon deposits out of your engine.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LittleDonny
What you know is that white smoke pours out, so you assume its cleaning. What I don't know is if seafoam burns and produces white smoke. Thats why I was asking the question. I kinda want to know if anyones actually looked and seen what it does to injectors, engine internals, etc. before I just say yeah it works cause it burns.