Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking In Cam / Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Breaking In Cam / Springs

I never thought of it before, but one of my Ford buddies mentioned I should find out. Do I need to drive her nice for awhile when I get it back. I've got a small cam (w/ .600" though) and the Comp 918 springs. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

ya i would.

do 3 or 4 heat cycles taking it easy.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, you should definetely heat cycle those springs. Turn the car on, bring it up to operating temps, then let it cool down over night. You're running a cam with a .600" lift, and 918 springs? Don't you think that's pushing it for the 918's? I'd go with a dual spring set up.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Krab
Yes, you should definetely heat cycle those springs. Turn the car on, bring it up to operating temps, then let it cool down over night. You're running a cam with a .600" lift, and 918 springs? Don't you think that's pushing it for the 918's? I'd go with a dual spring set up.
I'm new to the cam world, and I did a LOT of asking around before I made my purchase, and everybody seemed to think the 918's would be okay. I even asked the guys down at TR, and they gave the old thumbs up too. Hopefully it works out.... On the heat cycles,.... my car is being rebuilt almost 100 miles away from where I live. Will say 1 heat cycle be enough if I drive it REALY REALY Nice on the way home? I only ask, because I have to be at work the next day, so I can't stay down there too long. Whadayathink?
Old 06-29-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

a buddie of ours had a cam put in and drove it home, like 80 miles or so. he drove it easy and let it cool down over night and it was fine.as far as the springs go, i think i would have put in the dual springs. better safe than sorry. the 918's will work, but how long before one breaks? not worth it . just my .02.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Sweet Cheeks

I'd say 2 heat cycles. Good luck with those single springs.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

One heat cycle will be fine, just be sure to let the engine come up to operating temps each time before you bring the rpms high. About the springs, like I said, I would have gone with a dual set-up. Those springs are rated at a max lift of .600", so you're kinda pushing them to their limits.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the guy i bought my cam from builds engines and works for comp cams....he said the 918s are stronger than most give them credit for..he said he has seen them on a car with a cam that had a .615 lift and they had no problems
Old 06-29-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was told that the 918's were sold as rated @ .600" but were actually rated @ .625". The guys at Thunder Racing said I should be okay w/ this set up almost indefinetly, but I should still check them every year or two. I think what I'm going to do is have the mechanic start the car and get her warm for me while I'm driving down there. I'll pay him, drop off the rental, have a friend pick me up, and go back right before he closes and run it up one more time and leave it there for the night. Then I'll warm her up nice and easy, and drive it nice on the way home. Come Sunday though, it's on. It's going to feel like a new car again. New Cam, STB, SFC's, and 8 fully opporational cylinders again!! Going to be hard to give up the fleet model Cavaler though......
Old 06-29-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are strong and will handle it but the ? is for how long and to what expense when it gives. Hopefully at least you made sure that they are the blue striped ones. I definitely would not use a used set if that is the case. Might want to look into a set of Patriot Golds or Crane's when the $ is convenient.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94form2000z
They are strong and will handle it but the ? is for how long and to what expense when it gives. Hopefully at least you made sure that they are the blue striped ones. I definitely would not use a used set if that is the case. Might want to look into a set of Patriot Golds or Crane's when the $ is convenient.

Good luck.
If by "blue stripe" you mean new, then yes, they're new. I ordered the CAMP-K package from TR as per somebodies suggestion. I got the cam, the springs, and the rods (+ gaskets) for $650. Below is an email corrispondance between me and TR. And I talked to them on the phone before hand to be extra sure. If I can get my heads next year, then I'll for sure look for new springs. I'm going to put the "Patriot Golds / Cranes's" in my wish folder so I don't forget what they are. Thanks.
__________________________________________________ ______________

We have had great luck with the Comp 26918 valve springs. If you drive your car the way you say, you probably won't have to worry about spring life. For the guys that drive them hard and take them to the limits with the larger cams, we usually recommend checking them once a year, but we have customers who have been running these springs for 2+ years with no problems.
Angie

www.thunderracing.com
Toll-Free: 877-516-7223
Phone: 225-754-RACE
Fax: 225-754-7220

----- Original Message -----
To: sales@thunderracing.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 2:28 PM
Subject: RE: LS1 Cam:

Okay, yes I do have one more question. How much life can I expect out of the springs that come w/ the package deal? I'm totally new to the cam world, but the .600 on the Old Man looks pretty tough. I'll probably never go to the track, and if I did, I wouldn't have DR's on it. Thanks again for your help. I'm looking forward to this.

Scott