Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new eagle kit internally balanced, needs balancing before install??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question new eagle kit internally balanced, needs balancing before install??

i just got my eagle kit in with eagle crank internally balanced and the h beam rods and je pistons. should i have this kit rebalanced??? the mechanic may have the engine put back together by the time i can contact him in the morning. if it is should i pull the engine back apart if everything needs rebalanced or is it close enough? thanks.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it says its balanced then its OK!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:58 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

You need to have it balanced if you bought all the parts seperately. If it was bought as a balanced kit with all parts weighed and machined before shipping, then probably not. By internally balanced, that usually means that it doesnt have an external balancer on it. But properly balancing the crank to the weight of the pistons and rods is definitely needed for a long lasting motor.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are right BIG TEX, but he said he got an Eagle KIT.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I got the lunati kit... and is balanced.. but most are not trusted.. Lunati is known for a little better quality, yet mine was off on balance so.. I would.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you alter anything ,I mean flycut or cut the top of the pistons as some do for proper deckheight? How much was it off?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:24 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I was unaware that Eagle sold a complete rotating assembly "kit" thats pre-balanced like Lunati.

I own an eagle crank, eagle rods, and diamond pistons. I bought the parts seperately from a vendor and had them balanced before shipping.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Launching!

i bought them from a vendor in dallas who said it was a kit and was internally balanced. i dont know if it just means the crank was balanced and not the rest of the kit or what. i just assumed that it was all balanced but now i am getting a little worried. will you be able to tell if it isnt balanced when i crank the engine? or will it be off so little that it is hard to notice with a cam loping anyway? if it is off it will shorten the life of the engine? and no i did not modify the kit at all. probably should have balanced it huh? the kit consisted of eagle crank and rods and je pistons.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive seen this forsale on ebay before, its not an "eagle" kit, as in, its not sold by eagle directly. I would spend the money to have it balanced. No question asked, cause its not like something you can take off and do on the weekends with your buddys, so i would make sure its balanced.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stop!!!

Do NOT put that engine back together w/o having the rotating assembly balanced. Even if its redundant (and its probably not did they provide a bob-weight sheet?), its an excellent idea for piece of mind and well worth the extra cash.

Originally Posted by fozziejared
i bought them from a vendor in dallas who said it was a kit and was internally balanced. i dont know if it just means the crank was balanced and not the rest of the kit or what. i just assumed that it was all balanced but now i am getting a little worried. will you be able to tell if it isnt balanced when i crank the engine? or will it be off so little that it is hard to notice with a cam loping anyway? if it is off it will shorten the life of the engine? and no i did not modify the kit at all. probably should have balanced it huh? the kit consisted of eagle crank and rods and je pistons.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

had to cut #8 piston.. and I think add a little weight somewhere.. not sure now.. but wasn't real bad, but glad it was done. mine were out of the deck pretty far.. so we just used a special .010 more cometic gasket.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:40 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Is this the kit from "KCM"? I went by their location and talked to them about it when it first came out. I'm pretty sure they bought all the parts (Eagle crank and rods with JE pistons), then balanced it before selling as a kit. If it was KCM, they are a good shop, but I'd call and double check just to be sure.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unless the kit came from a well known and trusted shop, I'd rebalance the assembly. I wouldnt trust the manufacturer. I'm sure it'd be fine using the "rough" balance the manufacturer does, but why not go the extra mile and get it just right. I'd also check the weights of the pistons and try to get those close to each other.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Launching!

i dont know the name of the shop i bought this from. i am pretty sure it was an individual that i bought this from anyway. his name was russel shoulders. he lives in dallas. i found out about him from a local shop that does a lot of drag racing of their own. they said they buy from him all the time. i dont know if the KIT really is balanced i do know that the crank was for sure. and the bad thing is he already had it installed by the time i got there yesterday. i am not sure what to do because what happened to this motor originally was it spun a rod bearing and this would be a good cause to spin another being out of balance and all. i certainly do not want to have to re-pull the engine but i dont want to pull the engine back apart either. what should i do? where should i go to have the computer re-burned. i was told that there was a guy in tulsa oklahoma that could reburn the onboard pc so i wouldnt have to buy an aftermarket computer for this car. does anyone know if anyone closer to northeast texas does this or what is the guy in tulsa's name? what is a number i can reach him or someone else in the area that reburns ls1 computers because i was told you cant tune an ls1 that has been modified as much as this one, if it still has the stock computer. let me know thanks.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

BALANCE IT! Even if it comes out right on the money, it is WELL worth the cost to make sure. If its off the engine will not run like it could. My 388 is so well balanced that even with front and mid plates (solid mount) the car DOES NOT shake even when I "attempted" to idle (246/253 109LSA) at 700RPM (died a lot but still SMOOTH).
Old 08-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Launching!

where can i get my computer on my 99 reburned if that is what i need to do? if not what should i do i dont want to by a new control system, that cost way to much. i want to get the chip in it reburned if i can, not just reconfigured. somebody let me know what they did please. thanks.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

where can i get my computer on my 99 reburned if that is what i need to do? if not what should i do i dont want to by a new control system, that cost way to much. i want to get the chip in it reburned if i can, not just reconfigured. somebody let me know what they did please. thanks.
LS1Edit or HPTuners
Old 08-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Launching!

i need to find a place around here to burn my computer. hptuners is in cali right? i cant tow my car on a trailer all the way out there. can i like mail my computer and tell them everything i have done to it and them make it right, or is that not possible? i would rather go with someone in the northeast texas area maybe dallas or somewhere kind of close. i was told by a man named bob norwood out of the dallas area that the computer would have to be burned because gm computers werent made to be modified??? he said he only knew of one person in the world that could burn my computer and the guy lives in tulsa oklahoma. he said his name started with a w but he couldnt remember exactly. he said something like watt. if anyone knows how i can contact him please let me know. thanks.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

i need to find a place around here to burn my computer. hptuners is in cali right? i cant tow my car on a trailer all the way out there. can i like mail my computer and tell them everything i have done to it and them make it right, or is that not possible? i would rather go with someone in the northeast texas area maybe dallas or somewhere kind of close. i was told by a man named bob norwood out of the dallas area that the computer would have to be burned because gm computers werent made to be modified??? he said he only knew of one person in the world that could burn my computer and the guy lives in tulsa oklahoma. he said his name started with a w but he couldnt remember exactly. he said something like watt. if anyone knows how i can contact him please let me know. thanks.
....no........HPTuners is a program like LS1Edit....

go to the tuning section and ask THIS question:

"I want to tune my car. Where in Texas do I take it?"
Old 08-27-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The crank may have been balanced in expectation of certain known weight components being added to the package. If you have any doubt that your 'package' may be different have it balanced again with your components.