Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP single plane..injection or carb??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMPP single plane..injection or carb??

hey guys, i want to use the new GMPP single plane on a GTO..before you all jump in and say why not use an LSx or whatever...as you know they have limited space in front of the motor for a straight shot intake like the f-bods, which has influenced my decision...and i like the way it looks

ill be running a modded hood on the street so clearance is not an issue, and another hood with a scoop for the track.

I am trying to decide between going with injection and a throttle body bolted straight on top (no elbow) and with a SD tune so no maf.

OR a 750 holley.

I am not asking about anything to do with the tune or electrics side of things with either option..i know whats involved..

Strictly from a performance point of view, what will be quicker on the track, a
old school carb or this style of single plane injection?? I know the LS1 rocks with the stock/LSx 'folds and injection, and ive had enough "old school" to know what a holley can do but ive never had experience with single planes and injection...

do these single planes go with injector rails and a t/b on top go?? has anyone had experience with similar setups like the holley ....I know some ppl dont like em, they prefer either a carb or the LS stye 'folds..

and which t/b would perform better, single butterfly or 4..it would be much easier to bolt an LS1 style single t/b as it has the correct throttle position sensor..but would it go like a 4 butterfly on a single plane..

sorry for the long winded post, but if anyone has any experience with 4 barrel injection any input will be appreciated, before i spend $$ on stuff that doesnt go and regret not using a carb..
Attached Thumbnails GMPP single plane..injection or carb??-ls1-intake.jpg  
Old 09-02-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with a DFI setup.Put a big 4 hole kinsler TB on it.It will be pricey,but would be nice as hell.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Just out of curiosity, what were you going to do for electronics if you were to go with the 750 carb? MSD set up with a crank fire, or a controller like what comes with the edelbrock performer intake?
Old 09-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Outlaw 10.5 Director

Accel makes a gorgeous EFI throttle body!

Tom
Old 09-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lesrace82
Just out of curiosity, what were you going to do for electronics if you were to go with the 750 carb? MSD set up with a crank fire, or a controller like what comes with the edelbrock performer intake?
putting a carb on a gto and getting stuff to work thats a whole other story

i would probably use the edelbrock unit, but unlike an ls1 retrofit id be left with a whole bunch of wiring leading to nothing..and lots of stuff wouldnt work..

If i went carb and couldnt run it with the pcm, the edelbrock unit would take care of the spark, then i would run a fuel cell, new pump, full autometer gauges, the car would need a few extras like aftermarket fan temp controller, central locking/alarm controller and a bunch of wiring..and id lose the abs.....sounds messy but i have wired plenty of cars from scratch.. and might lose a few pounds

that being said i would still prefer to keep injecton for obvious reasons.

or i could try getting it to run with the stock pcm by turning off all the right codes in the tune, so it runs everything but the fuel side of things..dont know if this is possible but if i went carb i would try it..
Old 09-02-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking to switch over to a carb also. I was looking at the edelbrock unit, and I was also thinking of doing the same thing as you. Let the PCM control the timing features. Just cant make up my mind on what I want to do on either staying with the efi or going carbed.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Terry@RacetechSpeed
Go with a DFI setup.Put a big 4 hole kinsler TB on it.It will be pricey,but would be nice as hell.
Originally Posted by FSTR-THANU
Tom

thank for the info guys. The throttle position sensor, do either of these have provisions for a stock/LS1 style TPS or do you adapt something to suit how they are standard...i assume they are not LS1 specific...time to do some research on these
Old 09-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FSTR-THANU

Tom

youve probably been asked this 100 times on here but could you help a newbie out, are you still using the stock PCM with that setup

I checked out accells website and you can download their catalogue. They have a range of 2 and 4 butterfly 4150 and 4500 throttle bodies, they come with their own built in Throttle position sensor and Idle air control. And they also have an adaptor to bolt GM throttle bodies to 4150 holley carb manifolds so maybe i can do it that way and use an LS1 t/b...but i would prefer the other type.

Now have to figure out if i can plug my wiring into it or if i have to mess around. It comes down to the compatibility of their TPS and IAC to the stock ones. I did find some stuff on the stock TPS voltage ranges and IAC if anyone is interested....

go to pages 51 and 105 in the service manual pdf .

damn im tired after all that downloading and reading

Last edited by chebby; 09-03-2004 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chebby
I checked out accels website and you can download their catalogue. They have a range of 2 and 4 butterfly 4150 and 4500 throttle bodies, they come with their own built in Throttle position sensor and Idle air control.Now have to figure out if i can plug my wiring into it or if i have to mess around. It comes down to the compatibility of their TPS and IAC to the stock ones.
does anyone know more about this, can i buy a 4 butterfly 4150 throttle body with a TPS that will plug and play with ls1. Has anyone run the accel t/b with the stock pcm.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Teching In

4 Barrel Throttle Body

For those of you wishing to switch from a carburetor intake to electronic fuel injection (EFI), Accufab has developed a "brand new" 4 barrel throttle body with progressive linkage which flows 1215 cfm. This system uses late model GM electronics and fits the 4150 style manifold. Anodized units are available in Blue, Red, and Black. Polished units require a $20 additional fee. All components are stainless steel with 1-3/4" brass blades.

I hope thats late model GM LS-1 electronics
Old 09-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Teching In

well i contacted accufab and this is what they told me

"I think that the TPS and IAC are compatible, don't know for sure, but I think that all the GM's are compatible. I wouldn't worry about the 1215 CFM. It's not like a carb where if it's too big it hurts bottom end or midrange."

i know this thread is drifting towards bolt-ons, but it is about getting the internals to work well

so it looks like we can use this t/b on a GMPP with the stock management..

where can i buy the manifold already drilled for injectors, any sponsors..
can anyone point me in the right direction========>

anyone selling accufab products..
Old 09-07-2004, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

The Edelbrock intake is a dual plane. Probably work nice on a mild street set up but for real *** kicking the single plane gets the nod.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hysteria
The Edelbrock intake is a dual plane. Probably work nice on a mild street set up but for real *** kicking the single plane gets the nod.
the edelbrock unit would more likely fit under the hood as well with no cutting but with a big verter and 240+ cam probably not very useful compared to the GMPP.

Last edited by chebby; 12-29-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Launching!

I have installed this intake with the accel TB, on stock electronics. I ran a custom speed density program without the MAF. Also, it WILL fit under a stock hood with NO cutting, but there is no room for a air filter. If you need any more info, ask away.

Chris
Old 09-08-2004, 11:47 AM
AMS
On The Tree

Default alittle eye candy

Chris
CMarsh93z
Old 09-08-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

little more candy

Old 09-08-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Matt, you don't have enough stuff in that engine compartment! It just looks way too empty...
Old 09-08-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Chris Marsh,
Where did you put the MAP sensor, if you even used one?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:55 PM
SSU Moderator

with a little trim (judging by CMarsh's pic) you may be able to fit a carb hat and use a cold-air type setup.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
I have installed this intake with the accel TB, on stock electronics. I ran a custom speed density program without the MAF. Also, it WILL fit under a stock hood with NO cutting, but there is no room for a air filter. If you need any more info, ask away.

Chris

Thats EXACTLY what i wanted to know, thankyou Just one question...

If its not too much of a PITA is there anyway you could give me a vertical measurement from the top of the valley cover to the top of the TB..i would like to compare it to my LS6 and stock hood as this is for a GTO and i think there is less room to move...i already know it probably aint gunna fit under there...just to figure out how much of it will fit under the hood line.....

Quick Reply: GMPP single plane..injection or carb??