Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussion Time: Why does a forged shortblock make less HP than a stock one.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Discussion Time: Why does a forged shortblock make less HP than a stock one.

Having experienced my forged LS6 shortblock making less HP than a stock shortblock makes me wonder.....are the stock tolerances for piston to wall clearance able to make 10-15 HP more than a forged piston and an aftermarket ring?

My forged shortblock only has 2.9% leakdown yet seems to make less power than when it was stock at about the same compression ratio. When I consulted a couple of well respected tuners about this they said that you can't have a stock cube forged motor equal the power of a stock cubed factory motor. Is it just that simple?

I noticed that both Brent's (Cartek's 3X H/C) and Tommy3gun's (LG Motorsports G5X3/Absolute H/C) motors are stock LS6 shortblocks and appear to be the only mild motors at 500RWHP. I have yet to see a forged motor equal these numbers (with similar compression and camshaft size). Opinions?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:39 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reciprocating weight - I'm sure the forged stuff is heavier then stock.

Stock rings dont have much tension and just because they leak down a bit more then the better rings doesnt mean they make less power. Friction is a killer, look at the cylinder walls on a stock motor after 75K, the crosshatch still looks like a motor with 10k on it. I bet most aftermarket rings are higher tension then stock to control oil use/blowby.

That would be my opinion anyhow..
Old 09-14-2004, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wieght and friction.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forged alum pistons are LIGHTER than stock not heavier

I think alot has to do with how the pistons are positioned in the hole (Which is based both a combination of piston selection and decking of the block)

Ring gap is a factor as well.

If the piston is sitting .005-.008 out of the hole and a stock gasket is used it should make the same/more power.

If the rings are setup a little looser for spray then NA power will be very slightly down. Also low tension rings tend to make a little more power (at the expense of oil control) in comparision to regular/high tension rings.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:00 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I have never weighed them personally but the stock pistons are pretty light in these, they dont have the steel expansion plates like the old cast pistons so they are pretty light, same with the rods, they sure seem pretty light but I never weighed them compared to the aftermarkets. I'd be curious to see what the actual weights are.

Ring tension makes a pretty big difference in power, ring gap probably doesnt have much to do with it unless its extreme, huge gap = blowby, not enough = rings butting and wiping them out.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,222 Likes on 779 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Ring gap can make a difference, but usually tighter rings make more power.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:56 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Ring gap can make a difference, but usually tighter rings make more power.
describe 'tighter' rings

I have made the most power on an engine dyno with over 15% leakdown with back cut super light tension rings as opposed to medium tension gapless with 3% leak on the same combo. Ring end gap is not a power thing directly, its a clearance thing as far as I know. When the rings heat up they expand, idealy getting them just to the point of butting at peak temp. Big mistake is usually making the gap too small on a nitrous/supercharged engine and the rings will expand enough the butt - when they do that they will be trashed pretty quickly. Naturally way too big a gap will hurt power but its hard to say by how much, any decent motor will have the rings hand gapped anyhow and they will most likely be tighter then stock rings.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:40 AM
kp
8 Second Club

getting back to the original topic, there are a lot of factors involved and I wouldnt put to much stock in dynojet numbers from around the country but here are my thoughts as why a builder would tell you a forged motor wont make as much power as stock.

Piston ring tension/cylinder bore finish = friction. Add 8 pistons going up and down and that makes a pretty big difference at 6000rpm.

Weight, someone get some piston/rod/pin/ring weights between stock and commonly used 'street' forged stuff - I bet its heavier then stock (could be wrong but I doubt it).

Double roller chain = more friction.

Oil pump, most people shim the oil pump to get more pressure. More pressure = less power.

Neither one of the three by itself will make a huge difference, but start adding things up. Most people arent building all out drag race motors, lightened pistons, aluminum rods, big oil clearence, light tension rings etc and most build them for reliability while beating the crap out of them so you are going to pay a little price in power IMO. Sort of like putting a TH400 and a 9" ford in your car - 4L60 and a 10 bolt will be quicker, right? How much power who knows, you would think with hand gapped rings and better piston to bore clearance you would make up up for some of the loss of other things but until someone does it on an engine dyno and A/Bs stuff cant say for sure..
Old 09-14-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

If the piston is sitting .005-.008 out of the hole and a stock gasket is used it should make the same/more power.
Does the piston really know where it is? If the quench distance is say....0.040" at 0.005" out of the hole or 0.040" with the piston at -0.005" (due to a thinner head gasket) how can the power change? The piston is in the head gasket material at 0.005" out not in the combustion chamber.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
Weight, someone get some piston/rod/pin/ring weights between stock and commonly used 'street' forged stuff - I bet its heavier then stock (could be wrong but I doubt it).
I thought this too but as far as I remember the stock pistons are heavier than diamond forged.

Rods I am not sure about...

I am SURE Sled or Chris would be able to tell us for sure.

Old 09-14-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by John B
Does the piston really know where it is? If the quench distance is say....0.040" at 0.005" out of the hole or 0.040" with the piston at -0.005" (due to a thinner head gasket) how can the power change? The piston is in the head gasket material at 0.005" out not in the combustion chamber.
I think he meant that thicknesses in head gaskets would affect compression ration, which would affect power.

D
Old 09-14-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I think he meant that thicknesses in head gaskets would affect compression ration, which would affect power.

D
affects compression ratio, quench and squish