Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

home ported throttle body = hole in header

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default home ported throttle body = hole in header

Hey guys, a buddie of mine has a head & cam car and a friend of ours ported his throtttle body. Well he was riding around yesterday and heard a loud noise under the hood. He thought it was a broken valve spring, he has the PP golds.His cam is a g5x3 so he calls up Patriot Performance and guess what they tell him. With that big of a cam he will KEEP breaking them! Those were rated at 650 lift right? Well come to find out it wasnt a valve spring which is good because patriot sounded like they were trying to get out of giving him a new spring. He was looking around and found a hole in the first header tube on the drivers side about the size of a quarter. After making a few phone calls he was told his motor was way to lean because of his throttle body was ported wrong. So guys be careful if you home port yours!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:27 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me start by saying that even the worst ported throttle body can in no way cause you to run that lean. Even if it did, it wouldn't cause you to blow a hole in the headers man. Don't know who you've been talking to but they were smokin' some good ****.

Those springs are fine for that cam. But they probably won't last more than 20k-30k miles at best.

Sounds like the AIR fitting that is welded to the header tube just broke off.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

He talked to Holley ( hooker headers ) and also to the guy that tuned his car and they told him the same thing.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

How bad was the port? Sucking air past the MAF?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

I dont see how in the hell a Ported throttle Body no matter How much it was ported could ever Flow enough to create the car to lean out, to the point where it even mattered.

im gonna say problem has nothing to do with the throttle body.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

that's 100% BS.....unless there is a path for air to get AROUND the MAF (a leak), the MAF will pickup the increased flow and will add fuel.......

a) Hooker has had A LOT of people's AIR tubes brake off like that.....
b) if it really is lean the guy the tuned it didn't tune the car right and is trying to cover his ***.....
Old 11-09-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its pretty hard to believe that both of these people would come up with the same complete and outright lie. A throttle body does not dictate the a:f in any way. Its like saying your shifter clogged your air filter. Like others already said, it was proably the air or EGR fitting that broke off.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

I agree, I have been around this stuff since I was 14 and if its anyones fault on running lean its the guy that tuned it to a point. If all he did was port the TB after the tune was done it was too lean to begin with.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

so basically what i'm expected to believe is if i put a bbk throtle body on my car after my tune i'm gunna run so lean i'm gunna melt headers?? i don't think so.. can some one raise the B.S. flag here
Old 11-09-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with the AIR tube riser breaking off. It happened to me.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

there ya go
Old 11-09-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

!
Old 11-09-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I port tb's(not just my own), and even when they're opened up nice and wide, they can't flow enough to lean up a car. Your tuner is covering his ***, so is Hooker. Those AIR fittings have snapped off a couple times for numerous different people. Your buddy just needs to get Hooker to replace that or have someone weld that up for him.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

well ill tell you guys what, call hooker headers and tell them that. thats what they told him. i told him i didnt think so either but after he called the guy that tuned it (Jeff at carolina auto masters) told him the throttle body was the problem. the hole is on the first tube on the drivers side near the head.i dont know what caused it but two people told him the same thing. the guy at hooker told him it has happened before. maybe they are trying to cover their ***.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah umm that is right where the riser tube is. They are being dumbasses. Just have the hole welded up. That is what i did. Unless you need the AIR connection which apparently he is not using.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No matter how big you make the through-hole,
if it's drawing it all through the MAF there is no
mixture error (aside from what's tuned in or comes
from the sensors). Only a side-leak (PCV, IAC,
shaft) can contribute unmetered air into the TB.
And given the gross size differences that is going
to be a nit, at wide open or even half throttle.

More likely is dumb construction (butt welded tube
to tube on thin-wall mild steel, temp-cycled all to
hell daily) that is born to fail. Even -if- there were
no exhaust gas oxygen, to chew on the mild steel
at yellow heat.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

He found a shop that will weld it up. I hope it didnt mess anything else up. They told him to check and see if the piston was messed up, so we will see.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq

I port tb's(not just my own), and even when they're opened up nice and wide, they can't flow enough to lean up a car. Your tuner is covering his ***, so is Hooker. Those AIR fittings have snapped off a couple times for numerous different people. Your buddy just needs to get Hooker to replace that or have someone weld that up for him.
Even in a worst case scenario the headers would get red hot literally from running too lean, but it would have to be the equilvalent of have the brake
booster hose off.This is going off the deep end ....has your car been tuned? If not headers typically make ls1 cars run rich.And to add to the post you would have to have a consistant ltft of above 30 positive!!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silverbeast
well ill tell you guys what, call hooker headers and tell them that. thats what they told him. i told him i didnt think so either but after he called the guy that tuned it (Jeff at carolina auto masters) told him the throttle body was the problem. the hole is on the first tube on the drivers side near the head.i dont know what caused it but two people told him the same thing. the guy at hooker told him it has happened before. maybe they are trying to cover their ***.
Tell you what, dont get back into you car before knocking the Bull **** off your shoes. Its obviously pileing up pretty high and you just walked right through it. I almost suspect your friend not bothering to actually call anyone, and just passing it off as the TB because he is otherwise uninformed and figures it to be the most likely cause. But I dont know him so I can not make such claims. If both hooker and the tuner both came to the same blatantly wrong conclusion, it would be a hell of a coincidence, no?

-T

Last edited by GuitsBoy; 11-09-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silverbeast
They told him to check and see if the piston was messed up, so we will see.
Which piston? Even if it was running lean, wouldnt it be all pistons? And what do they expect him to do, pull the heads because a weld broke on the AIR tube? No, No.... Nothing here adds up at all.

The easiest and cheapest fix for him is simply to find a place that will weld it up while its still on the car. Hopefully, theyll weld it up correctly and he wont have to worry about the crappy factory welds failing again. He's on the right track.