Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to clean this out? (H/C install)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how to clean this out? (H/C install)

I got overzealous and forgot to do a final once-over cleaning before removing the passenger side head. Some dirt fell in the lifter trays, in the lifter opening, and on the old cam.

I want to clean this up before I start removing the cam. Since the lifter trays are out of the engine I was going to rinse them off with some WD-40. I'm thinking it would be a bad idea to rinse the grime in the picture into the engine. But how else would I get the cam clean before taking it out? (I'm worried about the grime getting on the cam bearings.)
Attached Thumbnails how to clean this out? (H/C install)-grime.jpg  
Old 12-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Teching In

That is a really hard one to tell you the truth. You could put a squeegie down there and run the cam along it. No matter what you do it is going to be very hard to not get the dirt in the engine... Especially if it is on the cam. Flush the oil when you are done just in case.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

i wouldn't worry about it, just flush it down to the oil pan, and drain the oil. u have a oil filter on there. theres not much else u can do
Old 12-12-2004, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Try a vacuum with an extension.., Qtips and needle noise pliers if you can get down there with them..
Old 12-12-2004, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

I just looked at the driver's side and it's worse than the picture; and I THOUGHT I did enough to keep it clean!

I'm leaning toward flushing it into the oil pan and putting some dino oil in for a couple hundred miles or so.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I poured some motor flush followed by several qts of dino oil with the drain plug removed. Then I changed the oil once it got to operating temps.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FroDaddy
I got overzealous and forgot to do a final once-over cleaning before removing the passenger side head. Some dirt fell in the lifter trays, in the lifter opening, and on the old cam.

I want to clean this up before I start removing the cam. Since the lifter trays are out of the engine I was going to rinse them off with some WD-40. I'm thinking it would be a bad idea to rinse the grime in the picture into the engine. But how else would I get the cam clean before taking it out? (I'm worried about the grime getting on the cam bearings.)
I rinsed the debris into the engine. I think I'll follow that up with some dino oil and then drain that out before I crank it up.

Inbetween the cylinder walls and the pistons is some grit from when I took the heads off. Is this something I should worry about or not? I'm between a rock and hard place on this one because I DONT want to touch the top of the pistons.

Thanks for the help already fellas!
Old 12-13-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

just get some compressed air and blow out the debris in the cyl, make sure u cover the lifter area with rags so nothing else gets in the engine
Old 12-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Default vac engine before taking apart, vac inside of it also

every time I'm taking the intake off a car, I get out the trusty old shop vac. I get most of the wiring and injector harnesses of car, then get a small flat blade screwdriver, then a small stiff paintbrush and scrape right along the head/intake joint to break loose the dirt and grime. Then vacuum it up. I usually vac the whole top of the motor at the same time. Sometimes I'll use compressed air. I never have any problems with dirt after that. For you, I think I'd just go ahead and flush the engine out, spray down the lifter bores with a good oil squirter and some cheap 5qt or 1 gallon jugs of wal-mart oil..........
Old 12-13-2004, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks everyone for the help! This board is great!