Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First timer. Need mod advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 06:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Need cam and mod advice?

Hi guys. This is my first thread as a brand new LS1 tech memeber so bear with me. Got an awesome 98 Z-28 with 44k mi (completly stock except Borla cat-back) and looking to make it fast. I have most of what I want to do figured out but the cam choice is murder!! I have almost decided to go with a Comp Cams 222/224, 566/568 on a 112 lobe center. I havent found any feedback on the cam but tons about the TR224 which guys seem to love. Anybody have experience with this cam? My plans are also to stick with the stock heads for now, LSX intake w/Fast 90mm throttle body, FAST fuel rails, 918 springs, titanium retainers, hardened pushrods, 13755 (comp cams) roller rockers. Headers are in the mix but one step at a time. My big questions at this point are which pushrod length to go with(I am guessing 7.4 so far)? Are the factory valve keepers OK? Are the factory lifters OK and do you have to remove the head to remove them? And last but not least, at what point do you need an injector upgrade(mine are stock 28's)? Want to keep it sane for the street but also want to rock. Neighbor just got an 04' Cobra and a guy has a GT across the street. Got to stay on top if you know what I mean. Any advice or help would be great and any other interesting info to help. Thanks, ssbodyman

Last edited by ssbodyman; 01-01-2005 at 06:41 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-01-2005, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

id do your headers and y-pipe frist. before thinking about a cam.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

M6 or A4?
If A4
Headers>Stall>ported TB/Ls6intake>cam
If M6
Headers>intake/TB>clutch>cam/gears/12 bolt
Old 01-01-2005, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
M6 or A4?
If A4
Headers>Stall>ported TB/Ls6intake>cam
If M6
Headers>intake/TB>clutch>cam/gears/12 bolt

thats a good order to go with, if nothing else you should atleast have headers/Y, otherwise your not going to see the full potential of the cam.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Its an M6. Sorry, forgot to mention that. I understand everyone saying to do the headers first and I realize that. Its a question of getting the work done first. I figure if I get that part of the job done first, the hardest part will be out of the way. I have another car and the Z is in the garage so I am trying to take it step by step. It wont be driven or tuned until it is all finished. Once that much is done I will see where to go next with the lid, MAF, Ram air, etc. Just trying to get some input on my parts selections for the time being. I am in the Arabian Gulf right now in the service and am giving myself something to look forward to when I get home and have all of the parts waiting for me there. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssbodyman
Its an M6. Sorry, forgot to mention that. I understand everyone saying to do the headers first and I realize that. Its a question of getting the work done first. I figure if I get that part of the job done first, the hardest part will be out of the way. I have another car and the Z is in the garage so I am trying to take it step by step. It wont be driven or tuned until it is all finished. Once that much is done I will see where to go next with the lid, MAF, Ram air, etc. Just trying to get some input on my parts selections for the time being. I am in the Arabian Gulf right now in the service and am giving myself something to look forward to when I get home and have all of the parts waiting for me there. Thanks for the input so far.
I would stick with the stock MAF, i guess if its not even going to be driven untill its fully finished then it wont matter what order the parts go in.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
I would stick with the stock MAF, i guess if its not even going to be driven untill its fully finished then it wont matter what order the parts go in.
I plan to do the project all at once. should have 30 days of leave to get it all done, or at least most. I am not quite to the point of figuring out MAF's yet since I have read so many pros and cons about them, so I will deal with that when I get there. I am going to get the tough stuff out of the way first.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silverZ98
id do your headers and y-pipe frist. before thinking about a cam.
Yea, I know but I have another camaro as a daily driver (90 RS) so the project can be completed or mostly complete before its driven or tuned. I have a good idea about headers so I am not worried about that. My first LS1 so I am collecting as much input as I can get, ecspecailly the cam. I think I read almost every post on LS1Tech and not much info on the one I am thinking about. Also looking for some answers for questions in my original post. Thanks