Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weak lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weak lifters?

probably a stupid question lol but anyway to tell for sure ones bad?

But my car has a ticking that comes and goes outta know where. One of those ticks that sounds like a exhaust leak but its not.
The RR's are all still tq'ed to specs so its not one of those. The only other thing I can figure is the lifters getting weak. Ive had the 224 cam for about 2 years now with quite a few passes and etc on it so i'm thinking they might be wore out.

But one day the cars fine.. the next its a ticking. It will tick for awhile, then if I turn the car off and let it sit for 5-10 mins its gone. Then, it will come back outta no where. Could be 2-3 hours later, or 2-3 days later.

Sounds like its coming from the drivers side also but im not 100%.

Again, ive pulled the valve covers and all looks well so the heads are coming off within the next month. Just wondering what to check for
Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Mine has a ticking sound on the drivers side that get quieter as the car drives and i also wondered about it and found that some of the noise,if not all the noise,was coming from the idler pulley and power steering box. It would be a good idea to change the lifters if your pulling the heads.

IMO a bad lifter is a bad lifter and will make noise all the time and not come and go.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

would something cause one to stick?
i'd hate to pull the heads for nothing if you know what I mean lol
Old 01-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like how mine was acting; the sound would come and go. I just got the motor apart tonight and found a lifter turned sideways. Needless to say, the little wheel is all chewed up. Now I'm just trying to figure out how the hell to keep this from happening again. I have 2 years on a 224 cam also.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

sounds like mine then... im sure this happens after some years and miles with a cam.. one reason I really dont wanna go bigger if the lil cam causes this. But im sure any racing takes its toll

I drove the car today and all was well... just dont trust the thing WOT or any passes down the track.

motor's coming apart in a few weeks or in feb so

thanks for the info and im glad im not the only one that had the problem
Old 01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

I don't think it had anything to do with the aftermarket cam in my case. Looks like a manfacturing defect with one of the plastic lifter guides.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I guess ill find out in a few weeks hopefully... just hope I find something wrong.. cause its gonna blow to take all that apart and all looks fine.

ordering some comp OEM lifters as we speak though
Old 01-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98TAauto
just hope I find something wrong.. cause its gonna blow to take all that apart and all looks fine.
That was what I was saying to myself the whole time I was taking mine appart . . . I found nothing wrong when I took the first head off, but it jumped right out at me when I took the second one off. Looks like there were three other lifters that were going to do the same thing. Several other people with the same problem ended up with $4000 worth of repairs, so as in cancer, eairly detection is the key, not waiting for the problem to go away.

I should have my Comp lifters by Monday; they have been on backorder from Thunder for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

damn.. im waiting till tomorrow then to call tbyrne and get mine. Hopefully he has some in stock then

ive been afraid to drive the car much since the ticking... better safe than sorry

thanks for the help man, and ill post if I find they were the cause of my problems. I would love to swap cam swhile im in there, but my lil 224 has been to good to me for that lol.