comp cams lifters has killed my engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comp cams lifters has killed my engine

for the last 500 miles i have had a godawful ticking sound coming from the
ds bank of my 2000 ws-6,the motor was replaced witha jasper short block
& the heads/cam package is an mti(which by the way uses comp cams)
the cam is a g-1 grind.after running the motor with the stock valvetrain
i was convinced that the tick was the result of a big cam.other people
said that all ls-1 engines sound that way-i knew better all along.i changed the rockers & the sound persisted-i was finally concinced that i had a lifter that was bleeding down(i even knew which cylinder-#5)so i decided to pull the head-wow,wahata suprise.the # 5 intake lifter was mismanufactured.yeah,that 's right.the flat sides of the lifter that are against the plastic tray fit fine,however the roller ballgoes across the lobe-not up & down.they all fit in the cup fine,so they were installed with no problem.comp has been e-mailed the pictures & has seen them-their response was the same as mine.the lifters will be sent off tomorrow to comp for their review.i will post pictures of the lifters & keep all updated after my follow up conversation with comp cams.i can't describe how much of a setback this is-especially for my daily driver-feel free to e-mail me @ supap72@yahoo.com
Old 02-07-2005, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

not the first time comp lifters have fecked up
1 of my comp r lifters cam apart in my block and took my whole motor with it

call comp personaly and talk to red at the warrenty department and tell him your story

i got a new cam and new set of comp rs from them and im going to send them the bill for the shortblock and see what they can do for me

good luck man its not easy

if you have any questions pm me
Old 02-07-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying that it was mismanufactured and was installed that way? I don't see how that was not noticed at the time of installation. Sorry to hear about your troubles though.

Last edited by Steve H.; 02-07-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Geez that blows.... Sorry mate. Good luck on your rebuild.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Good luck on getting them to pay for the motor. There have been several threads debating this from several manufactures and for the most part the response has been we will replace the defective parts which are ours, but as for your motor we made no warranty on that. If a shop installed the parts you might have more luck with them, (maybe) being that should be an obvious problem if you make sense of it all. This is why unless you are running a real radical cam, stock lifters are the way to go. Very seldom do you hear of a stock lifter doing something stupid.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:36 AM

There is no way that would not have been seen when installing the lifters into the plastic retainer.You would have it upside down installing the lifters and looking at the wheels before you put the retainer back in the motor.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure you replace the plastic lifter guide that this lifter was in. The hole that lifter was in was probably looser than it should be now. I agree with the others; I don't know how someone would not notice a problem like this on installation.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

yeah,i have asked the same question how it was not noticed-but it was missed-never the less-that lifter was manufactured wrong,no one can argue that-i'll post the pics
tonite.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:48 PM

Are you sure It wasn't just the wrong lifter.Maybe It was a lifter for a big block chevy GEN VI.(these lifters are made this way) It was probably a packaging error but, it still would have been noticed before putting it into the motor.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

I Agree That It Should Have Been Noticed-however I Did Not Put The Motor
Together-i Will Put The New One Together But Saying That It Should Have
Been Noticed Is Like Preaching To The Choir-oh Well,i Can't Change The Past
I Can Only Alter The Future-any Thoughts From Any One About The Metal In
The Oil?i'm Wondering If This Will Be A Probelem Later In Life?
A New Motor Would Be The Way To Go-we'll See.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Add me to the busted Comp R club
Old 02-08-2005, 03:34 PM

This has NOTHING to do with a Comp R....This is the installers fault and needs to be taken care of through him.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it was me I wouldnt have sent them anything unless I had video,pictures and numerous credible witness with their own pics and videos! I hope you did so because what is stopping them from throwing away the bad lifter(s) and or saying you touched up the photos,etc... Im not calling Comp crooked but some companies are very much so!
Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
If it was me I wouldnt have sent them anything unless I had video,pictures and numerous credible witness with their own pics and videos! I hope you did so because what is stopping them from throwing away the bad lifter(s) and or saying you touched up the photos,etc... Im not calling Comp crooked but some companies are very much so!

I think this post was uncalled for. Granted you weren't saying that Comp would do this.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Packaging mistakes do happen. If the installer put these in and did not catch that one of them was a Gen VI lifter, then it is their fault, not comps. That is why you use a professional.

Chris
Old 02-08-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Packaging mistakes do happen. If the installer put these in and did not catch that one of them was a Gen VI lifter, then it is their fault, not comps. That is why you use a professional.
I don't think takes a professional to notice that there was a problem. If I stuck 4 lifters in the retainer cup and 3 pointed one direction and 1 pointed the other I think even my 6 year old would notice. This should have been noticed by the installer no doubt about it. I would take it up with the builder and let them take it up with Comp. I imagine the blame will tried to get passed back and forth. It is kind of like buying a big cam and the seller saying you should have no problem with PTV clearance if you install it straight up. You do that and don't check for clearance and a valve smacks a piston. If it was installed correctly and attention was paid to detail PTV clearance would have been checked.

Last edited by Steve H.; 02-08-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Steve,
I couldn't agree more.

Chris
Old 02-08-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cstraub

Chris
I agree 100%, I had a problem with some 918's that were mis-boxed, I noticed that they had no blue strip markings and called Comp. My contact in the tech department took the time to research my problem AND went out of his way to get it straitend out. I needed to get my car back together by this weekend and he shipped me a set of 918's out today before the ones I returned even got there, I think these guys are not just trying to sell cams & springs, I believe they are into this thing just like most of us on this board are. I have to give them props in the way they treated me.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
I think this post was uncalled for. Granted you weren't saying that Comp would do this.
How was that post uncalled for. I have personal experience with a situation like so. If anything your post was totally uncalled for! First you say it was uncalled for but then its not. I use Comp products with no faults so I am not bashing them. What I said was just from personal experience and it does go on. Good luck on a fix man! I just got done with some similar engine problems onmy daily driver!
Old 02-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

I Agree With Tigerfan187,they Could Get "lost" Or "mixed Up"
I Took Out Insurance Through Fed Ex For 5,000.00i Spoke With Them Earlier
& They Arrived Safely,but I Know What Your Saying.