Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same story, different guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Same story, different guy

OK, as most have probably figured by now, I'm doing a H/C swap on my 02 LS1.

First the car:
02 SS with 345hp package, SLP long tubes, ORPs and Blackwing airlid with Airaid filter. NGK TR55 plugs. Non motor mods are Bilstein susp with STB, SFCs, boxed tunnel brace.

The H/C package:
I bought a set of 5.3 heads which will be custom ported and the chambers will be worked. Valves...It' smy understanding the factory seats can be opened up to 2.04" Can I buy 2.04" valves anywhere? Are 2.02" better or (if I can't get 2.04" valves) is it worth going to 2.05"? I can get the work done and new seats installed fairly inexpensively. I'll going for 11:1CR when complete.

Springs, will match the cam. Likely Comp 918s or PPGold duals, with titanium retainers new seats and locks.

Cam:
Traded a few emails with Alan Futral and he's suggesting the f13 so far. I really want a nasty idle so maybe I'll see if he'll go F14 or maybe an F13 with a 110lsa??? I'm no cam expert so at the end of the day I will go with what an expert says.

Tune:
I've got a Diablo Sport Predator and will need help with custom tuning, rear O2 delete, rev limiter change etc.

So far,what am I missing?

I've printed the LS1howto H/C swap and am using it to gather up tools and such, but while I'm going for this is there any advoce out there that I may not have thought of?

TIA.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

i dunno about ur tune.... especially since ur gonna be on a 110 lsa i doubt the diablo pred. will be able to make it idle....
Old 03-03-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greekss
i dunno about ur tune.... especially since ur gonna be on a 110 lsa i doubt the diablo pred. will be able to make it idle....
I was kidding about the 110 LSA, I don't thin FMS makes the F13 in a 110 LSA?

The Tune will have to be done by a custom programmer. The mods I'm doing are way beyond the basic + 10% of the user modifications available to the DSP end user, but I understand the DSP shop tuners can pretty much tune unlimited parameter changes.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

i think the diablo is worthless once you put a cam in. sell it and put that money towards a good tune or your own copy of HPTuners.

you can go to 2.05 valves no problem unless you mill the **** out of the heads.

f13 won't lope hard, the lowest lsa they shelve it on is 112+4 AFAIK. ask him for a 112+0, that will give you a nicer power band as well as give it a little more lope to it.

springs, if you're gonna run the f13, run prc's or PP gold duals. its good insurance, imho. unless you need an unltralight valvetrain, like Predator-Z, dual springs are a safe bet. i'll be running PRC's on my fms cam fwiw.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

2.05s are a waste of money on stock bore....stick with 2.02 BUT get a good port job...not one by a wanna be..
Old 03-03-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
2.05s are a waste of money on stock bore....stick with 2.02 BUT get a good port job...not one by a wanna be..
The guy doing my heads is not a wanna be, I can't say his name because he's doing me a favor and does not want his name thrown around, he's a good friend I've known for over 30 years.
Let me just say, he still olds one of the class land speed records, He used to own Howard's Cams (some of you older hot rodders may remember) and he's done work for people like Nick Arias Nick was just at his shop last week. Nick has stepped away from the helm of Arias Racing and has know handed the riens over to his daughter Carmen.

I'm pretty comfortable with his ability

And thanks for the valve size advice, I think I might stick with 2.02" if I can use the stock 5.3 seat?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Get the cam that suits your needs/car. Don't buy a cam just because it lopes because it probably won't be very useful with your stock gears.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by technical
Get the cam that suits your needs/car. Don't buy a cam just because it lopes because it probably won't be very useful with your stock gears.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. One of the tings I want is a nice sound, but the sound id 2nd to performance.

I've talked (emailed) a few times with Allan Futral and he's still saying an F13. I was thinking an F14, but I will follow someone like Alan's advice.

That being said, it's like I told my friend;

I want a car that'll make dads jealous and moms nervous, I want a car that'll make ricers roll up their window and pretend they're on their cell phone, I want a care that brings terror to young children, but makes young boys feel like young men...and maybe an old man feel like a young man.

Oh yeah, gears will be going soon. 3.73 or 4.10 will be in this summer.