Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much does the LS1 like 4k - 5k RPM playtime?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much does the LS1 like 4k - 5k RPM playtime?

a house we might rent is down a few roads that have no access roads, they kind of just go through a bunch of fields.

well i've discovered they're perfect for 3ed gear fun, keeps it right at about 4k - 5k rpm's

then i realized that keeping the LS1 at such a high RPM for extended periods of load might not be such a great thing.

how well does the LS1 hold up to 4k - 5k RPM playtime? when will i start to spin bearings?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by anasazi
a house we might rent is down a few roads that have no access roads, they kind of just go through a bunch of fields.

well i've discovered they're perfect for 3ed gear fun, keeps it right at about 4k - 5k rpm's

then i realized that keeping the LS1 at such a high RPM for extended periods of load might not be such a great thing.

how well does the LS1 hold up to 4k - 5k RPM playtime? when will i start to spin bearings?
well as long as your not free reving all the time up there you'll be fine but don't expect the engine to last up to like 100k or 150k if you run it at speed avery day for extended times just holding that engine speed.
as a one time thing the ls1 will hold up to 6.5 even 7k if the valve train is set up wright, since you'll probably **** that up before u trow a bearing, or that will casue u to trow a bearing.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4k-5k rpm is nothing for an LS1. You won't start to spin bearings unless you do that at over 7000 rpm. The Open Road Racing guys run them at 6K+ for extended periods. As mentioned above, it's better if there is a load on the engine. At light load and higher revs LS1's go through oil like cool aid because the piston rings flutter. So keep an eye on the oil level while you're doing that. Don't worry about wearing out the engine, you will get tired of driving that way long before you wear it out.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cal
4k-5k rpm is nothing for an LS1. You won't start to spin bearings unless you do that at over 7000 rpm. The Open Road Racing guys run them at 6K+ for extended periods. As mentioned above, it's better if there is a load on the engine. At light load and higher revs LS1's go through oil like cool aid because the piston rings flutter. So keep an eye on the oil level while you're doing that. Don't worry about wearing out the engine, you will get tired of driving that way long before you wear it out.
umm yea this might be a dumn question but how many of those engines do you think have over 100k or 150k miles on them??? not rating on the ls1 casue i love em which is y i own one but no engine will last that long with extended daily reving like that. exept maibe a little high reving four banger but then the four banger would have to be reved to a prety high point so that it could be in a comparable place within its power band as the ls1 would be at 5k rpm. there for it to woudn't be around that long either.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

ORR engines don't last 100K miles, no question about that. Some of those guys change rod and crank bearings once every racing season. But that is what you get with any engine that is operated at close to full output for extended periods, unless the engine is tuned so it doesn't put out much power for it's displacement, like my '85 IROC. It had a 305 ci engine rated at 195 fwhp . . . and it still ran the same as new after 200,000+ miles, even with me driving it!

What he is talking about doing is not going to stress an LS1, though.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a v6 grand am i gave hell for a few year and it had 150000 miles on it, i think the ls1 it build a hell of a lot better and can stand this, after all these cars were made to have fun in
Old 04-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Besides, why would you want to waste a high output engine that can run at high rpm by driving it around like a grandma? Use it for what it was intended, or get a four-banger that gets 40 mpg.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cal
Besides, why would you want to waste a high output engine that can run at high rpm by driving it around like a grandma? Use it for what it was intended, or get a four-banger that gets 40 mpg.
i might have gotten his post wrong but it sounded to me like he was talking about getting an engine and holding it in gear for a few miles at that constant rpm over long periods of time. I mean god know i take my t/a to 6k rpm all teh time but i don't hold it there i upshift do it all over againg the upshift again till i run out of gears or deside to slow down. I probably read it wrong but to me it sounded like he was going to be getting on the road and mess around by holding those rpms over along period of time like a few miles non stop. That would be the same as running a car at full capasity lets say a car whose engien maxes out at 120 miles per hour, and holding the car at 110 miles an hour over along time non stop i know the ls1 is build to take a beating but not that much over along time. of curse he always could have meant that e was going to dump the clutch, and keep shifting to keep the engine around those speeds. In wich case i'll go ahead and and stp ranting on here lol

i do agree with u in that he wont be spinning any bearings anytime soon doing that but if he keeps at it every day the life of the engine will be significantly shortened.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

the car is stock, so it won't be seeing past 4k - 5k for extended periods of time and it certainly will never see above stock rev limit.

i'd say total time at the sustained higher rpm's is like a minuite or so, like a couple of miles, nothing like road racing or anything. sometimes i go autocross but thats only like once every 4 months or so.

i realize that i'm beating on the car, i'm just not sure if its "too much" beating or am i going to be just fine?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by anasazi
the car is stock, so it won't be seeing past 4k - 5k for extended periods of time and it certainly will never see above stock rev limit.

i'd say total time at the sustained higher rpm's is like a minuite or so, like a couple of miles, nothing like road racing or anything. sometimes i go autocross but thats only like once every 4 months or so.

i realize that i'm beating on the car, i'm just not sure if its "too much" beating or am i going to be just fine?
o ok then go with what Cal and WS6 said if thats all u doing don't worry in stock form the ls1 will go to 6k no problem the stock limiter is set at 6.2k so you'll be just fine but do avoid hitting the limiter. ignore all that mumbo jumbo i typed up there lol.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an idea....

shift...

save the high rpm driving for when you need too...

Old 04-27-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sierra5.3
I have an idea....

shift...

lol yea
Old 04-27-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sierra5.3
I have an idea....

shift...

he wants to do this for fun, you never have to drive high rpms, its just the fun factor and one of the perks of these cars, going on a curvy open road, keeping the revs up, and going through the gears if needed, but if you can stay in a gear and get on it off a corner.....ahhhhh there is nothing like it ....
Old 04-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yep fun stuff; I drive a twisty road to work and back every day, and autoX once or twice a month. When I tore down my engine to port the heads, the only problem I saw was carbon accumulation from burning oil. These engines do consume a lot of oil at high rpm and light load.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i notice mine burning off oil from high rpms when i back off teh gas

Quick Reply: how much does the LS1 like 4k - 5k RPM playtime?