Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all aftermarket LS1 cams have smaller base circle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do all aftermarket LS1 cams have smaller base circle?

May be a stupid question, but I have tried search and not gotten much info. Are all aftermarket cams .03" smaller base circle than stock?
Gotta cam going in, need to know what lenght pushrods to get
Old 05-03-2005, 08:13 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the info i have on the stock cam is 1.553", my custom cam lobes are 1.47 int. and 1.45 exh.

are you just running stock unmilled heads?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by T/A rocker
May be a stupid question, but I have tried search and not gotten much info. Are all aftermarket cams .03" smaller base circle than stock?
Gotta cam going in, need to know what lenght pushrods to get
No, they are not. I have two here, one is a Comp XER that measures .040" smaller than the stock LS1 cam, and an LPE grind that's also ground by Comp, but it's .050" smaller.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
the info i have on the stock cam is 1.553", my custom cam lobes are 1.47 int. and 1.45 exh.

are you just running stock unmilled heads?
Yep, unmilled heads
Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

As you increase lift the basecircle must get smaller. The lobe can't get bigger or you couldn't put the cam through the bearings. Generally speaking, the nose of most lobes is .005" below the height of the cam bearing. If cam lift (not lobe lift) increases by .060", the basecircle has to get .060" smaller in diameter. That means the radius from the center of the cam to the edge of the basecircle (at any point) is .030" shorter. Therefore, your pushrod length would have to be increased by .030" to achieve the same geometry. Make your self a drawing and it will become very obvious.
The important thing to remember is that on a pushrod engine the basecircle must get smaller as lift increases. That is not true on many OHC designs. Cam designers want to keep the lobe as large as possible because it provides better lifter motion, lift dynamics,etc. If you check cams with different lifts on the intake and exhaust, you will find that the basecircle on the two lobes differs by a few thousandths. Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you mean if you increase cam lobe lift (not valve lift) by .030, then you need to decrease the base circle radius by .030. This would make the diameter .060 smaller. The added lift = the decreased radius, not the decreased diameter.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I think you mean if you increase cam lobe lift (not valve lift) by .030, then you need to decrease the base circle radius by .030. This would make the diameter .060 smaller. The added lift = the decreased radius, not the decreased diameter.
I said and mean cam lift as that is the same as cam lobe lift. Since the center of the basecircle is in the center of the cam bore centerline, only the radius component vectoring toward the rocker arm affects pushrod length. The decrease in cam lift affects the basecircle dimension which is measured by its diameter, but only a radius length affects pushrod length!
Old 05-05-2005, 04:32 AM
TECH Regular

So, to help the original poster, how do know when to get the stock 7.40" push rod with unmilled cyl heads?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Aha well there is a tool for that:

Old 05-05-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Campbell
If cam lift (not lobe lift) increases by .060", the basecircle has to get .060" smaller in diameter.
You just replied that cam lift = lobe lift.

Also, lift increase of .060 results in a .060 smaller radius (or .120 smaller diameter)

Just wanted to clarify some milseading information in your post that you may not have caught. Sorry, not trying to bust your *****. Its damn good info you gave!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an actual look at a 2002 F-body intake lobe versus a Comp XER 230 lobe. Both full lift at the lobe measurements in relation to the cam journals will be approx the same as Mark pointed out. Each lobe is at its max height in relation to the cam bearing journal to help keep the base circle as large as possible. The stock intake lobe has .281" of lift at the cam. The Comp XER 230 has .354" lift at the cam. The difference is .073" which is approx the extra length of pushrod need to have the same preload as long as the heads used are the same, not milled and have the same gasket. You can look at it as a radius change more so a diameter change if this helps. Most folks would use a 7.450" pushrod and have slightly less pre-load, but well within specs.

Basicaly, the lift is gained by making the base circle smaller, not the actual height of the lobe in relation to the cam journal. Look at a stock cam and how close the top of the lobes are in relation to the cam journals.

Now from that equation above and figure in heads milled .025" and .040" thick head gaskets you now have an approx pushrod requirement of 7.434", so maybe a 7.40 or 7.425" puushrod would be best. In the end, the preload determines the pushrod length. But knowing the cam lobe lift numbers as well as milling and gasket thickness will get you in the ball park.

Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Old 05-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Good explanation Mike. Yesterday was one of those days and my explanation ability left something to be desired. If I was talking " I would have explained that my tongue was in front of my eye tooth and I couldn't see what I was saying!!" Apologies to Guits Boy! I looked at what I was writing and kept reading it wrong. Thanks for sticking with me and forgive the tone of my reply--One of those days! Sorry!

Mark Campbell
Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem Mark and did not want to step on your toes. I just figured I would give it a shot and go through it a little different. One of these days I will get over and see ya. Say hi to Tony for me. Later.

Mike Norris

Quick Reply: Do all aftermarket LS1 cams have smaller base circle?