Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam installed. Now some problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam installed. Now some problems.

Well, I got my TSP 225 cam installed over the weekend. I took it easy on it for the first few days. I then went to the track tonight. Well, something is not right. I lost over 6 mph and .5 in the 1/8th from what I was running with the stock cam. Plus, there is a LOUD ticking coming from the drivers side valve cover. I will pull the valve cover tomorrow night after work to see if there is anything blatantly obvious that could be the problem. I installed PRC springs and hardened pushrods at the same time, as well as a rollermaster double and a ported ls6 with a new o-ring. Any help/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

OH yeah, and now I can't shift any higher than about 5000 RPMS because my clutch sticks to the floor. I have done the drill mod and bled, bled, and bled the system some more. Do I just need a new clutch? If so, what would you all suggest? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check for leaks concerning your clutch.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Ok, there are no leaks in the system for the clutch. I have the valvecover off right now, and all the rockers were torqued down good. My next thought was maybe I snapped a valve for some reason, so I pulled the rockers and all the valves seem fine. I really don't know where to go from here. Do I need to pull the head? I really would rather not if I don't have to, anybody have any ideas?
Old 05-13-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by camdavgar
Ok, there are no leaks in the system for the clutch. I have the valvecover off right now, and all the rockers were torqued down good. My next thought was maybe I snapped a valve for some reason, so I pulled the rockers and all the valves seem fine. I really don't know where to go from here. Do I need to pull the head? I really would rather not if I don't have to, anybody have any ideas?
Any flashing/steady SES light?
Old 05-13-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it might be a colaped lifter, My clutch did the same thing and i changed the master cylinder and slave cylinder with a new stock one and steal did the same thing, so i got the Mcloud ajustable master cylinder, and has never did it again and that been two years now and 7400 rpm shifts.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Teching In

There is nothing at all with the SES.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Teching In

The clutch is also squeeking from underneath the car when I push it in and let it out. Would this be the slave?
Old 05-13-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

it could be the slave or the pressure plate.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Teching In

How can I check to see if a lifter is collapsed? Can I do it with the head still on the car?
Old 05-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Teching In

I plan on replacing the clutch here shortly so I will replace the hydraulics along with it. Have you had any problems with your adjustable master?
Old 05-13-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you check the valvetrain geometry ? How about spring installed height ?
Just becasue you torqued it down to 22 lb-ft doesn't mean your valvetrain is good to go...
Old 05-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Teching In

no I didn't, I wasn't aware that I needed to with stock length pushrods. What should I do to make sure everything is right, then?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What pushrods did you use? You should have 7.40" which is slightly longer than stock. And assuming you're using stock (non-adjustable) rockers, you do just torque them to 22 ft lbs and you're good to go. There is no way to adjust lifter preload with out changing PR length. Any missed shifts? any possibility a PR is bent? Did you degree the cam or dot to dot?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Teching In

They are TSP 7.4s, no missed shifts. I put the cam in dot to dot. The thing that is weird is it was running nice and quiet, then all of a sudden a ticking came from no where. I am at a loss.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

About the Mcloud ajustable master cylender , the only thing i had to do to it was put a rebuild kit in it about a week ago. did'nt really need it but i have a Spec stageIII ceramic clutch kit in it .The master cylinder started filling a little spungy. But the pedle never stuck to the floor or was hard to go into gear .As the clutch wears you just ajust the master cylinder.

And on the lifter ticking it even might be the that one of the rockers may have lost some needle bearings There is one way you can check to see witch one it is but it messy remove the valve cover and hold it up enough to see the rockers, not much room because of the short plug wires and have some body start the car for a min. or less. I know this sound crazy but you will be able to see the slack on the rocker.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Did you have the master with the stock clutch? Did it fix the sticking to the floor? My clutch isn't slipping at all, and I don't want to replace it if I don't have to. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Ok, I just started it with the valve cover off and all the rockers look to be moving just fine and all seem to be moving alright. Now I am at a loss.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:43 PM
Teching In

I let it run a little longer this time, well smoke started pouring out from underneath the spring on the number 5 exhaust valve. That means it has a bad seal, right? There wasn't much oil up there either, I don't know what to make of that. I kind of figure it would be kind of squirting out of the rockers. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know if this is posible, but could some of your rockers be hitting your valve cover (or the baffel on the under side of it)? You said you have new springs and a new cam and new longer push rods. I had that problem, but I used aftermarket roller rockers. I had to get a set of 1" valve cover spacers.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Teching In

but would it only do it on one side? The noise only comes from the drivers side.