Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start after gauges install

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car won't start after gauges install

I just reinstalled my gauges and I put everything back together, now the car won't start. It won't even turn over! I hope I just missed something stupid! I didn't disconnect the battery and the lights work, the stereo works, and everything electrical works. WTF?! I don't think the battery died. Please help! Any ideas!? I just went back in and double checked all the connections, and everything is fine! HELP.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm...that's an odd one. Did you check the fuses? If you did or if they are good, you might try disconnecting the battery to reset the BCM and then try it.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Hmm...that's an odd one. Did you check the fuses? If you did or if they are good, you might try disconnecting the battery to reset the BCM and then try it.
I actually pulled the starter fuse while the battery was disconnected then put everything back in and it still wouldn't start

It just seems wierd that the engine isn't even turning over!
Old 05-29-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is the Security light on the dash on or flashing?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Is the Security light on the dash on or flashing?
I believe it was flashing. Where is the starter btw? I should check that too. I just don't know where it is...
Old 05-29-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

If it's flashing then the VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) is taking over. It thinks you are trying to steal the car so it won't let you start it. This seems to be a common problem. The key cylinder is worn out and needs to be replaced by the dealer. Keep trying to start it and it will eventually work. If not, tap and jiggle the cylinder a little bit or just wait longer.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
The key cylinder is worn out and needs to be replaced by the dealer. Keep trying to start it and it will eventually work. If not, tap and jiggle the cylinder a little bit or just wait longer.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean? What's the key cylinder and where is it? Are you just talking about where I put the key into the steering column? The car only has about 24k miles on it, I would hope that that sort of thing hasn't gone south yet.

I just checked the light and it's only flashing when the door is open. It'll go off when the key is in the on position. I've actually tried using my spare key to make sure my normal key isn't just worn or something. Any ideas?!

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 05-29-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well in that case im not sure. My Security light turns on when I turn the key to the 'On' position, but then goes off with the rest of the lights. If it doesnt turn off at this point, but flashes, it means the VATS wont let you start the car. If the security light is 100% off when trying to start the car this this isn't your problem. The key cylinder is where you put your key into the steering column.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really have no idea but never touch to gauges that's what I learned from changing gauges. Mine are stock again
Old 05-29-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have any ideas? The car is still dead in the driveway. How can I check to see if the starter is dead?

I just did the overlays btw. I didn't really change out the gauges.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

did any of the electrical connectors coem loose? I know you just did overlays, but you might have jiggled them around enough for them to loose contact. Otherwise I would bet that a wire just came loose off the back of the tumbler(where you stick your key into the ignition) I had this happen to me on another one of my cars, and finally figured out that a wire had coem loose. Check all connections in or around the dash area, shoudl find one of them loose
Old 05-29-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
did any of the electrical connectors coem loose? I know you just did overlays, but you might have jiggled them around enough for them to loose contact. Otherwise I would bet that a wire just came loose off the back of the tumbler(where you stick your key into the ignition) I had this happen to me on another one of my cars, and finally figured out that a wire had coem loose. Check all connections in or around the dash area, shoudl find one of them loose
I've looked over all of the wires and I can't find anything that's loose. How can I check the starter though? I don't even know where it is on my car.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Too much of a coincidence that the starter goes bad. It's under the pass side of the engine near the trans. I would open it back up and recheck - did you lower the column to remove the cluster? Any wire loose from that? Did knock something out of place with the switch that hits the clutch pedal? Are any of the pins on the cluster bent?
Old 05-29-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just read this, I had a similar problem, Check the guage cluster fuse(10a red fuse) in the fuse panel on the driver side of dash by driver door. My fuse had blown while taking the dash out to remove HVAC and the car whould do nothing, replaced fuse started no problem.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Too much of a coincidence that the starter goes bad. It's under the pass side of the engine near the trans. I would open it back up and recheck - did you lower the column to remove the cluster? Any wire loose from that? Did knock something out of place with the switch that hits the clutch pedal? Are any of the pins on the cluster bent?
I'm gonna get back in there and make sure that when the gauges went back in they went in correctly and nothing got bent. That's almost impossible though because all the gauges light up and work fine. I did lower the steering column, just with the lever though.

Where is the switch that hits the clutch pedal? That's a possibility!

I pulled the gauges fuse and replaced it, and nothing. The manual says that you can temporarily replace it with something that's not needed like the radio. I didn't get that to work though so it's not the gauges fuse because the radio works fine.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I bring my car into Pontiac...I should probably take the white gauge overlays out huh?

By the way...I just tried to start it again and NOW I hear a loud rapid clicking noise. The battery intermittently will seem week too! WTF is going on here?

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 05-29-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
If I bring my car into Pontiac...I should probably take the white gauge overlays out huh?

By the way...I just tried to start it again and NOW I hear a loud rapid clicking noise. The battery intermittently will seem week too! WTF is going on here?

hmmm you need to get it back up in the air and start with the basics, how many volts does your battery have? if you here a clicking the starter may not be getting enough juice, The starter is held in by only 2 bolts and is pretty easy to take out, once out any auto store can test it for you as well.

when my starter when I just heard a loud whizzing sound fwiw.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the car started!!!! I think racer8102 had the same problem as I did. Thanks man! I tried pulling the fuses for the gauges (10a) and nothing happened. I guess the battery was disconnected at that point though. I think what cured the problem was having the battery connected and pulling the gauge fuse. I also pulled the starter and ignition fuse in the engine compartment at the same time so I'm not sure which one really fixed the problem. Thank you very much everyone for your help! I'd have been pretty pissed if I had to take it to the dealer just so they could rape me at 90$ per hour and however much it is to get towed 20miles!
Old 05-30-2005, 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
I got the car started!!!! I think racer8102 had the same problem as I did. Thanks man! I tried pulling the fuses for the gauges (10a) and nothing happened. I guess the battery was disconnected at that point though. I think what cured the problem was having the battery connected and pulling the gauge fuse. I also pulled the starter and ignition fuse in the engine compartment at the same time so I'm not sure which one really fixed the problem. Thank you very much everyone for your help! I'd have been pretty pissed if I had to take it to the dealer just so they could rape me at 90$ per hour and however much it is to get towed 20miles!
Glad you got it sorted out. Lesson learned:
Disconnect the battery whenever you're working on the car - the added few minutes is well worth the security factor!