Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help in a Serious Way!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help in a Serious Way!!

Let me try to explain this the best I can.

I was driving my car yesterday. I went WOT and everything seemed to be fine. At the exact moment that I let off the gas the car started stumbling like it had a bad misfire. It would barely accelerate at all. It was poping and had little to no power to even get it up to speed.

I was about 1 minute away from my house so I limped it back and started checking some things. The first and most obvious thing I noticed was that my ASP crank pulley had come off of the crank snout. It was just being held on by the belts and it was resting on the end of the crank. I removed the belts and the pulley simply fell off. The inside of the pulley is all pitted and covered with shavings. I had the old style pulley.

The next morning I put on a new pulley, problem solved right? Wrong...the car is acting the EXACT same way. Stumbling, poping, and absolutly no power. And it has no power and stumbles in all RPM ranges. I decide to check the plugs and everyone of them is fouled out. They are covered in fuel. So I swap them out along with the o2 sensors. After all this the car still acts the exact same way. No improvement at all. The smell of unburnt fuel is very strong and the car is smoking horribly from it.

I have checked everything I can with HP tuners. The car is throwing no codes what so ever. The only thing I can come up with is that the car possible skipped a tooth on the timing chain. Is this even possible? It's a new chain (rollermaster single). I ask this because it seems like the timing is off. Like it is firing and then dumping in the fuel too late and causing the fouled plugs and strong fuel smell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have exhaust all my resources.

Car has oil pressure and never overheated.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:16 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Get someone to ATAP your car and see if you are getting random misfires from a specific cylinder. Sounds like you may have broken a valve spring. Not sure if that has anything to do with the balancer coming off, it just might be a coincidence.

If you don't have ATAP, start to pull the valve covers and check all of the springs.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Launching!

I have HP tuners and I am throwing no codes and I see missfires on all cylinders due to the unburnt fuel fouling out the plugs.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Timing chain busted? Which one did you use?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Launching!

my 5.0 did that when i ate up in intake valve..

could be a pushrod believe it or not as well.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Try doing a case learn (basically CKP relearn). With the pulley coming off, it is possible that the PCM's indicated Crank Position was thrown off. Case learn is on the scanner portion of HPTuners. Start the scanner, up near the top you will see 0% 100% 0% (these are your bi-directional controls). Click it and goto the special tab. You will see case learn on the lower left. This gets the PCM properly retimed with the crank and it must be done when replacing the CKP sensor. It is also recommended to be performed after balancer removal and installation. Basically when you start it, it will ask you to rev it up quickly (just start pushing the gas as if to floor it but do not go WOT) untill it cuts off (usually 4-5K RPM's) then let off. The PCM has now resynced itself. Its worth a shot and let us know.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Launching!

didn't know that was recommended after a harmonic balancer install. I know when I did mine the crank moved quite a bit, but I haven't noticed any problems. Is there any benefit for the average guy doing this that hasn't experienced any major problems?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Launching!

I am going to give this a shot. I will let you know what I come up with. This was suggested before and I thought you could only do it with a Tech 2. I will try it with tuners.

Thanks guys
Old 06-08-2005, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

I had a slight miss at idle after a pulley install. I did a case learn as recomended in the service manual for crank pulley removal and install. After performing case learn, the idle was smooth with no missing. I was impressed.

Back to the issue at hand, I would only do case learn if you feel motor can handle it (rev to 4-5k RPM's). If the engine is knocking you have bigger problems.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

I did the exact same thing I hit every intake valve to the pistons check your leak down