Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head bolt snapped!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head bolt snapped!

The number 1 headbolt on the passenger side head snapped and the bottom of the bolt is stuck in the block. What is the best way to get this SOB out of there so I can use a new bolt? It is a GM bolt too not an ARP bolt. Search isn't working either, maybe somebody is trying to tell me something!

Old 06-12-2005, 07:23 PM
8 Second Club

get an ez out set and it will come rite out
Old 06-12-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1984camaroz28
Not true. I had to get mine drilled and a stud put in its place.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

These just sold at autozone or sears?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
Not true. I had to get mine drilled and a stud put in its place.
Did you have to take it somewhere to get drilled or did you do it yourself?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
Did you have to take it somewhere to get drilled or did you do it yourself?
yes , i took it to LME.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Crap!
Old 06-12-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try the ez out it works pretty well. But if u have any trouble take it somewhere you don't want to mess anything up.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

You did not reuse the old head bolts, did you??
Old 06-12-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

The number 1 headbolt on the passenger side head snapped and the bottom of the bolt is stuck in the block. What is the best way to get this SOB out of there so I can use a new bolt? It is a GM bolt too not an ARP bolt. Search isn't working either, maybe somebody is trying to tell me something!

make sure those holes are clean and dry of water/coolant.or else will happen again.good luck.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

These were brand new LS2 bolts and a brand new 04 LS6 block.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Also you might try a left-handed twist drill. It might loosen up the broken bolt
before using the "EZ OUT".
Old 06-12-2005, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Stupid question! Were do I buy the ez out and left handed twist drill? Can't find either.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Try Sears, if they don't have it they can probably find it. They are on sale in the Sears by my house.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

i'd take it to a machine shop/personally i've never had any luck out of the ez outs they always broke
Old 06-13-2005, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

Checked the sears website and still can't find the EZ outs, what the hell, this is a sign. Anyone have a link?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WildRon
i'd take it to a machine shop/personally i've never had any luck out of the ez outs they always broke
I agree.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

You didn't say how far down the bolt is broken off below the deck surface. I would use a sleeve as a guide for my drill bit. I would fabricate one if I had to, but I certainly would NOT try to do subterrainian drilling without using a sleeve to guide the drill bit to the center of the broken bolt. You were supposed to have thoroughly cleaned and dried those bolts holes and then lightly lubricated them before installing the NEW bolts which I'm sure you did, right? That's so you don't have this problem and don't end up having to ask this question. You can make a thread chaser by grinding flat one side of the old bolts (large and small, one each) so that the NEW bolts go into the block smoothly. That costs you nothing, but a few minutes on you bench grinder. Once you driilled a pilot hole into the broken bolt using the sleeve you fabricated you now have the problem of finding a screw extractor long enough to reach the bolt. You are going to have to get creative in order to come up with an extension long enough to reach that broken bolt. Good luck! Let's see if we can come up with an appropriate cliche here? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A stich in time saves nine. Get your ducks in a row, etc. If that bolt requires excessive torque to turn and you can clearly see that it has NOT bottomed out against the head, STOP TURNING! If it don't fit, force it is one cliche that does NOT belong in the mechanics toolbox.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
You didn't say how far down the bolt is broken off below the deck surface. I would use a sleeve as a guide for my drill bit. I would fabricate one if I had to, but I certainly would NOT try to do subterrainian drilling without using a sleeve to guide the drill bit to the center of the broken bolt. You were supposed to have thoroughly cleaned and dried those bolts holes and then lightly lubricated them before installing the NEW bolts which I'm sure you did, right? That's so you don't have this problem and don't end up having to ask this question. You can make a thread chaser by grinding flat one side of the old bolts (large and small, one each) so that the NEW bolts go into the block smoothly. That costs you nothing, but a few minutes on you bench grinder. Once you driilled a pilot hole into the broken bolt using the sleeve you fabricated you now have the problem of finding a screw extractor long enough to reach the bolt. You are going to have to get creative in order to come up with an extension long enough to reach that broken bolt. Good luck! Let's see if we can come up with an appropriate cliche here? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A stich in time saves nine. Get your ducks in a row, etc. If that bolt requires excessive torque to turn and you can clearly see that it has NOT bottomed out against the head, STOP TURNING! If it don't fit, force it is one cliche that does NOT belong in the mechanics toolbox.
Yes the holes were cleaned and all that was done. none of the other bolts had any problems. this one broke on the second pass in the sequence. There is no liquid or debris in the holes. Chased all the holes. It broke about an inch below the deck. All the cliches in the world aint gonna change that this damn bolt just snapped. All other bolts torqued up just fine. This one wasn't even close to the final torque, it just decided to break while trying to stretch the bolt.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the holes were cleaned and all that was done. none of the other bolts had any problems. this one broke on the second pass in the sequence. There is no liquid or debris in the holes. Chased all the holes. It broke about an inch below the deck. All the cliches in the world aint gonna change that this damn bolt just snapped. All other bolts torqued up just fine. This one wasn't even close to the final torque, it just decided to break while trying to stretch the bolt.

Everyone was giving me hell when i broke mine saying i overtorqued or didn't clean enough too. Luckily, your's broke in a much easier to get to spot than mine. Mine broke passenger side in the back under the header.

Good luck with getting it out. I know for sure i will never use GM head bolts again. ARP all the way