Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PARANOID!: Possibly Bent Pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PARANOID!: Possibly Bent Pushrods

I know this stuff has been beat to death, and I searched for possible symptoms, effects, fixes, etc, but couldn't find anything to really calm me down.

Tonight headin' over to my g/f's house, I decide to get into it a bit since my LS6 manifold install (plus the car's been sittin' a week so I've been itchin' to drive it).

Comin' outta the onramp, I'm at the top of 3rd and go to slam 4th, but bang the **** outta 2nd... It's almost like I got in a wreck as to the fact that I don't really "recall" what I did, but I'm pretty sure I popped in the clutch and put it outta gear as soon as the revs flew up and the rear hopped (and low-trac light came on).

I have no idea how the previous owner drove it (was stock when I bought it in great shape, so I imagine easily), but I've regretfully done this once before.

I don't think I've heard any ticking, tapping, clicking, etc tonight so far afterwards, but all the paranoia I have over bent pushrods made it "feel" like my top end power was slightly down (I'm not too sure though).

Basically, I know there's no way for a "for sure" answer from you guys, but especially with Thunder in the North coming up this weekend, do any of you think I f-ed something up? What should I REALLY listen for incase I did bend some? Also, I know the only real way of finding out is if my ET's are slower and speed is down, but that won't be known until Sunday the 19th at Dragway 42 in front of everyone.

How can I drive around town and tell if I bent something or not? I'm so sick to my stomach thinking about it I dunno what to think. Any advice/reassurance is more than welcome.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:07 AM
Teching In

Dude,

If you bent a pushrod then you will certainly haer it there will be slack in the valvetrain and it will be noisier than usual. I had a similar problem, we thought that the noise was from a bent pushrod but it turned out to be a missing pushrod cup in the YT roller rocker
Old 06-14-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

i did the same thing and i didnt hear anything from the valvetrain.....when i pulled the valve covers to check everything just to be sure, there were 2 bent pushrods. 2 weeks later a third pushrod broke and i ended up gettin new heads. so i would say go into the valve covers and check just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id just pull the valve covers and rockers and check

better safe than sorry
Old 06-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
id just pull the valve covers and rockers and check

better safe than sorry
i bent a pushrod and didn't realize it. then i was getting on it one day and it broke in half... massive valve float, and all other pushrods bents... intake valves bent, and put into pistons........... new motor. thousands of dollars. just be safe and check 'em out.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

mine were bent and made no noise either 2 were bent at least 1/4-1/8" with no indication
Old 06-14-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dude it should take you about an hour to have all the pushrods out on the ground. get a straight edge and check 'em.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01350ss
dude it should take you about an hour to have all the pushrods out on the ground. get a straight edge and check 'em.
Yea, I was suprised how easy it was to pull the pushrods, you could easily do it in a evening. Its best to check and make sure.

Kevin