Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What rockers and springs to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What rockers and springs to get?

Well yesterday just broke one of my Crane Dual spring in Cylinder8. Put a stock Z06 valvespring in there temporarily for now. The springs got well over 25k miles on them. Someone was telling me to replace them.

Should I just go with the Crane Duals again?

Also should I change the stock Z06 rocker? A couple friends of mine put in the Crane Gold 1.8s, but that to me is too rich for my blood. Plus Im thinking the 1.8 might be too much for my cam at .600" lift on the 228/232 112lsa cam. I was searching around and now im utterly confused on what springs to get if I dont decide to get the Crane Duals, all this spring pressure and shims stuff is making my brain hurt.

I really dont want to spend $700 on a set of rockers. If yall think I can keep the stock Z06rockers, Im game. But if someone tells me for $300-400 I can get a better set of rockers and make a bit more HP, then Im game there as well.

Dixit

PS, heres the pics of the valve spring that I broke, yeap broke both of them and the main one looks like its shattered.
http://turbofedmax.com/Z06vette/engi...lvespring1.jpg
http://turbofedmax.com/Z06vette/engi...lvespring2.jpg
Old 06-18-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

I have to say, I've never seen a spring shatter into pieces like that in my life!

I'd be looking into the reasons why both springs broke before replacing anything.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a new set of crane 832's. you can shim them .030 to 1.77 installed height, approx. 122# on the seat and still have .725 before coil bind
Old 06-18-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Crane's were recently updated according to Vinci's web site, was this due a failure problem as seen here or for other reasons?
Old 06-18-2005, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

bought all my crane stuff from VHP, but I thought Crane changed the alloy of the spring to reduce the amount of seat pressure springs were losing over time
Old 06-18-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm going with the Harland sharp retrofit through Nate @ Nasty Performane. Maybe if enough of us are inteerested they can do a GP Seriously though, by doing that mod, it gets rid of the only weak point of the stock rockers.

D
Old 06-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Adrenaline_Z
I have to say, I've never seen a spring shatter into pieces like that in my life!

I'd be looking into the reasons why both springs broke before replacing anything.

I would say you haven't seen much. Go with a set of 921 and Jessel SS rockers.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Call Terry at Racetech and get a set of PRC duals along with seals, machined spring seats and titanium retainers for like $260. Why get ripped off when great products are available at a reasonable price, from a sponsor never the less.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

I don't know why no one else has mentioned this, but you should not be running the motor with that much lift with LS6 springs. You are asking to break another spring and possibly kiss a piston. I'd go with PRC duals, I have them and think they are top notch.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

The rockers arent really that big of an issue. For me though im looking to go with a set of shaft mounts because ive busted 3 stock rocker arms.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
I don't know why no one else has mentioned this, but you should not be running the motor with that much lift with LS6 springs. You are asking to break another spring and possibly kiss a piston. I'd go with PRC duals, I have them and think they are top notch.
Im only running the LS6 spring on one valve temporarily until I get the new set of springs. I wanted to crank it up and make sure the valve wasnt bent and it ran right without having to take the head off, and it ran fine.

I dont think the spring going to fail in a matter of 3days.

Call Terry at Racetech and get a set of PRC duals along with seals, machined spring seats and titanium retainers for like $260. Why get ripped off when great products are available at a reasonable price, from a sponsor never the less.
Will these work fine with my cam spec? Also please tell me I dont have to measuring with a caliper to find out what shims to put in and all that jazz. I really want a simple swap (even though that sounds stupid). I dont feel confident in doing spring height measurement and figuring out what shims to get and all that jazz.

Dixit
Old 06-19-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by QuickSilverTA
Too rich for my blood, I cant justify spending almost $800 on a set of rockers when I havent had much problems with the LS6 rockers.

Dixit
Old 06-19-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

I apologize but since we're on the rockers and springs subject what would be a good set to put in my stock T/A. I was thinking some 1.85s by Crane but I believe they had posted that I need taller valve covers. What would you guys suggets?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by QuickSilverTA
Maybe, maybe not. I'd like to see a head count of those who have seen
both springs snap, and the outer spring break into 4 or 5 pieces.

How long do you have to drive before you notice a cylinder has dropped out?

Last edited by Adrenaline_Z; 06-19-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would yank those heads and do a proper inspection on cylinders, valves, guides the works. Still cheaper than a block down the road.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dixit I'm running a 228/230. The PRC's would be an easy drop in, however I for safety sake always put a valve spring micrometer on at least a few of the valves to check height, when going to a different brand spring. The PRC springs are good for .660. Call Terry at Racetech he will spend as much time as necessary to explain everything.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Whats a valve spring micrometer look like? I have a normal digital micrometer but not sure how I would accurately measure the distance, I could probably do it with the outside jaws on the caliper.

Now what exactly am I doing when I measure this height? What am I looking for and going to do with that measurement? Sorry for the newb questions on that. I thought I knew everything about engines but I was wrong on that. Never realized you can actually increase lift with rockers and change other things with simple valvesprings.

Dixit
Old 06-19-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

A valve spring micrometer looks like a telescopic cylinder.

It would fit around the valve where the valve spring normally installs.

The mic. reads the distance from the valve seat to the under side of the
retainer which gives you the install height of the spring.

IE:

If the mic. reads 1.810"

The spring data might be 130# @ 1.800"

You would need a 0.010" shim to get the correct install height.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

A valve spring micrometer is an adjustable tube with markings on it that allow you to check your valve spring install height. I actually fits in exactly where the spring sits. Chances are after youcheck the install height you will be able to go on your merry way and just drop the springs in and not have to use shims or different height retainers. The reason you in particular need to check is because of the broken springs that is suggesting something is wrong.I don't know the details but you may have coil bind if your spring is maxed out at .600 and you are running .600+ lift.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Im going to look into getting a valve micrometer. I see exactly what yall are talking about. I dont think the Crane duals are in a coil bind situation because its max lift is .625" and the cam does .600" lift. Just odd how that one spring shattered like that.

But I may be calling it a day on these heads, I just ran into a nice set of used AFR 205cc heads which I been wanting for awhile.

Dixit