Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRC 2.5's with stock exhaust manifold???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRC 2.5's with stock exhaust manifold???

I'm wondering what ya guys think about PRC 5.3L 2.5's with a very mild cam (I live in Ca.) if I'm running stock exhaust manifold? I have bassani high flow cats, y, and exhaust.

I was thinking about porting the exhaust manifold? And may upgrade to headers in the distant future.

Just looking for some opinions.... should I stick with 1.5's???

Thanks
Old 07-02-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

99-CHEATR-CAM Thunder Racing Custom "CheaTR" Camshaft - 214/230 .601/.578 117 LSA. Off Idle-6800 RPM Power Band. Broad power range. Works well with stock exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Stock like idle. Minor tuning required on automatic transmission cars. Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended.

That is the cam I recommend with those heads, The difference from 1.5 and 2.5 is the exhaust valve. I would get the 2.5
As for headers in Cali, I understand that you can't move cat locations, so the Hooker shorties is the way to go with a 2.5 y-pipe.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Pretator-Z! Anyone else?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh... headers aren't in the budget for this project. Someday hopefully!
Old 07-02-2005, 03:48 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

copy PatrickG's setup.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Copying that set up would be a great idea, however if Headers arent in the budget i doubt AFR's are! People will argue against me, but i prefer doing it right the first time. I would save your money, get the CheaTR cam with all the valve train components, im running 918 springs but only because i had a set local. Id do a set of dual springs and retainers, 7.4 hardened pushrods, get a cam swap gasket kit, some TR 55 plugs with taylor wires, do the hooker shorty headers with ypipe, a set of sticky tires and a good clutch and go beat up on the unexpecting.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:57 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobie
Copying that set up would be a great idea, however if Headers arent in the budget i doubt AFR's are! People will argue against me, but i prefer doing it right the first time. I would save your money, get the CheaTR cam with all the valve train components, im running 918 springs but only because i had a set local. Id do a set of dual springs and retainers, 7.4 hardened pushrods, get a cam swap gasket kit, some TR 55 plugs with taylor wires, do the hooker shorty headers with ypipe, a set of sticky tires and a good clutch and go beat up on the unexpecting.
headers arent in the budget due to emissions, he didnt expresss a monitary budget. a big part of Patricks power comes from the efficiency of the AFR head.

however is sacrifices are willing to be made the PRC's would be fine.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys. There is def. a monitary budget, sorry if the first post wasn't clear. I'm prob. going to go with a set of shorties (for emissions reasons) but unfortunatley AFR's aren't in the budget.

I wasn't even going to do the heads, just a cam and valvetrain. Then I saw the deal TSP has on the PCR's and decided that'd be a better route.

Wasn't planning on doing headers, but can't see bolting those old exhaust manifolds to the new heads. Wife's about to kill me, as the cost of this project keeps going up.

As of now my list includes:

-PRC 5.3L 2.5 package w/ cam (not sure yet, something pretty mild) pushrods, double roller, ported ls6 oil pump, gaskets, etc.
-ARP head bolts
-Comp stock replacement lifters
-Slp 25% underdrive pulley
-Set of shorties (dunno which ones yet)

I'm going to attempt the install myself, for the first time. I just want to take care of everything while i'm in there. I figure it'll be easy to add new rockers, and an ls6 style lid, along with tuning, a little down the road. Just so I can stay married.

I've had my Exedy hyper single a year now and only put a couple thousand miles (if that) on it. It should be up to the task!
Old 07-03-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.tbyrne.com/ You'll find the Hooker shorties under exhaust.
And http://www.ls1howto.com/ for the install info.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My setup is smog legal here in Ca and I am making more power than patrick G Car idles like stock almost and has tons of torque down low. Also has the option of running cats or no cats depending on the sound you want.