Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woooooooot, cam is in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woooooooot, cam is in!

My buddy installed my cam over the last two days. Started Friday, finished today at like 5 PM. He finished pretty much everything last night, the only thing left to do was the valve springs on the passenger side plus of course the rest of the buttoning up process.

Once we had it all together, we cranked it with the fuel pump fuse taken out until it build oil pressure, then we fired her up. She idled real rough at first and wouldn't stay alive without him giving it some gas. After about 5 mins of this, it finally found idle and it idles like a champ now. (Specs are in my sig).

Initial driving impressions are great, just like stock basically, just gotta watch the rpm when driving around parking lots, or you're going for that bucking bronco ride.

I am really happy how it sounds at idle....nice and mean. Car is gonna get tuned on Wednesday morning....anyone wanna venture out and make some wild guesses based on what's listed in my signature?

So far we let it idle for quite a bit to get it warmed up. It has not hot start issues which of course I am very happy about. I drove it around the block initially, then let her sit for 20 mins, then drove it home. I am gonna let her sit now for a bit, then wash the car and drive it some more. By tuesday, I am gonna change the oil in it again (put new oil and filter on during the cam install), and on wednesday, it's dyno/tune time. Does that sound like the correct plan?

I never reved past 3k either...just taking it nice and easy.

Manny
Old 07-23-2005, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Get it tuned. I did 399 to the rear wheels with that cam
Old 07-23-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow...nice numbers! But you have a 01 with the better heads. In a way, were you pissed that you didn't pull 400? LOL

Manny
Old 07-23-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say ~380.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
Wow...nice numbers! But you have a 01 with the better heads. In a way, were you pissed that you didn't pull 400? LOL

Manny
Na. I did 388 and went with the ASP pulley and a better TB. I was just amazed on what it did. If you get a better intake and the supportting mods you can get close. I think the heads will be the limiting factor. Youll like the way it pulls up high
Old 07-23-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am scared to rev past 3k yet....
Old 07-23-2005, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

I am scared to rev past 3k yet....
3 heat cycles and your good to go
Old 07-23-2005, 05:35 PM
9 Second Club

I have that cam and basically the same mods mius the throttle body and I put 391 to the rw.I love this cam glad i went with it.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just started it up to take it out of the garage to wash it. As I was looking at the dashboard I was thinking to myself "hmm....surprising the SES light hasn't come on yet" And then it came on.

Ah well, Wednesday is tuning day. I am guessing it's the random misfire coat?

Did you guess get a SES too after your cam swap?

Manny
Old 07-23-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL @ the bucking bronco comment. I have the same problem if im not carefull when my torque converter locks up. If i'm not paying attention your in for a ride when it locks, i think i need up the lockup point
Old 07-23-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where are you getting the car tuned at?
Old 07-23-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

At a place called Pro Auto Tech in Fort Myers Florida.

They tuned it before when I had just the headers and LS6 intake on, we also ported the TB while it was there.

The reason I had it tuned before the cam was that after the headers the car was misfiring and was low on power. It would idle perfectly fine, it would rev fine too, it threw no codes, it was only under load that it did this. So I figured lets have it tuned. It turned out to be a burnt up spark plug wire. I had gotten MSD 8.5mm wires, and covered them with Taylor fire sleeves. I didn't notice that the fire sleeves were touching the head on the driver side on the middle two plugs, the fire sleeves held up great, but the wires did not, one of them burnt through the entire boot. The MSD have long and very unflexible boots, hence the problem. Since then I got myself the Taylor Thundervolt 10.8mm wires, I took the middle two that caused problems and zip tied them out of the way with stainless steel zip ties, works great.

I am curious what the SES light might be, it did it while just ideling, so I am guessing it's the random misfire code that they mention on LS1howto. Either way, it will get tuned Wednesday.

Manny
Old 07-23-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

manny, do you wish you went bigger??
anyways, my h.p guess for you is 385-390
Old 07-24-2005, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4mula
manny, do you wish you went bigger??
anyways, my h.p guess for you is 385-390
Lets see, you're from Chicago, you have a Forumla....you ask about whether I wish I would have gone bigger....you must be.....ding ding ding!! nhraformula!

What's up buddy! As you can see, I made the move

And no...I am happy the way it is. I mean....I still haven't gotten on it yet at all, I just heat cylced it for the third time. I'll drive it again tomorrow and drive it a bit harder when it's warmed up. I have no idea what the powerband is like yet coz I just babied it from my friends place back to my house. I love the idle, and love how it sounds.

I'll let you know after it's tuned what I really think of it. I still say I am not the right candidate for a bigger cam.

Did yours throw a SES light too after the cam went in?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lets see, you're from Chicago, you have a Forumla....you ask about whether I wish I would have gone bigger....you must be.....ding ding ding!! nhraformula!

What's up buddy! As you can see, I made the move

And no...I am happy the way it is. I mean....I still haven't gotten on it yet at all, I just heat cylced it for the third time. I'll drive it again tomorrow and drive it a bit harder when it's warmed up. I have no idea what the powerband is like yet coz I just babied it from my friends place back to my house. I love the idle, and love how it sounds.

I'll let you know after it's tuned what I really think of it. I still say I am not the right candidate for a bigger cam.

Did yours throw a SES light too after the cam went in?
whats up manny i didnt throw any codes. i wouldnt worry about it. it will get tuned in 3 days and ses will be gone. its good that youre liking the lope.
the cam you got is a good cam. i ran a cobra the other nite off a roll and he couldnt pull me. before the cam he would of.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I heat cycled mine for like 5 times now, gonna take it for a ride later today and put some miles on it. Oh the joys of having a mean souding car!

Manny
Old 07-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=MannyZ28]At a place called Pro Auto Tech in Fort Myers Florida./QUOTE]

Do they do a lot of LS-1 tuning?
Old 07-24-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...they are actually a Callaway dealer as well. They do LS1s and up, and also the older L98 and LT1 engines.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Yeah...they are actually a Callaway dealer as well. They do LS1s and up, and also the older L98 and LT1 engines.
Could you PM me their number?

I have a SES light on, and the car has started to hang idle. My dad doesn't have time to take the car back to Norris in Orlando, so I might have to see if he can check these guys out.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where do you live....West Africa seems sorta far?

But yeah, I'll PM you a link to their website.

Manny