Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warping an LS1 Aluminum Head

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warping an LS1 Aluminum Head

What are the chances of warping an LS1 Aluminum head. The reason why I ask is because I recently blew a head gasket and replaced it yesterday only to find out that water is still leaking out the side of my head. I have ARP head studs and torqued them 50, 60 , and then 70. HAs any one warped a head before? I am leaning towards this since the gaskets were brand new. Anyone?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Restricted User

Ttt....
Old 07-29-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what was the cause of the head gasket blowing? did you overheat?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Restricted User

It did over heat, only because it was low in water. The gasket blew from using nitrous.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Restricted User

Ttt...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Teching In

It blew because you were low on water? How sure are you that you already were low on water before it happened. Check your water pump (takes 5 minutes), make sure it isnt leaking and it is working right and the bearing isnt shot. If not your water pump, make sure all cooling system hoses are connected properly, and are not cracked. If none of those things, then check to make sure you didnt crack your block. Use a flashlight and look all over it, even a tiny crack will leak alot of water, you have to look very closely. Another very big possibily is you didnt install the gasket correctly, or the head warped when it over heated. Check the things in the order I listed, although from your vague description of what happened and your vague details I'd say you have a warped head, but usually the other things are more likely.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you dowels are ok..if the heads are sitting on them just right it will leak like a siv
Old 07-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by stope
It blew because you were low on water? How sure are you that you already were low on water before it happened. Check your water pump (takes 5 minutes), make sure it isnt leaking and it is working right and the bearing isnt shot. If not your water pump, make sure all cooling system hoses are connected properly, and are not cracked. If none of those things, then check to make sure you didnt crack your block. Use a flashlight and look all over it, even a tiny crack will leak alot of water, you have to look very closely. Another very big possibily is you didnt install the gasket correctly, or the head warped when it over heated. Check the things in the order I listed, although from your vague description of what happened and your vague details I'd say you have a warped head, but usually the other things are more likely.
If a water pump has signs of water leaking from the bottom of it does this usually mean it is shot?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by redbandit98
make sure you dowels are ok..if the heads are sitting on them just right it will leak like a siv

Are you talking about the two round guides that sit in between the block and the head?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1fstGM
It did over heat, only because it was low in water. The gasket blew from using nitrous.
The reason why it overheated has nothing to do with the end result. Depending on how hot it got, you could have had several things happen. One of which is that the heads warped, the next would be the seats shifted or became misaligned. Neither would be a problem if you took the heads and had them resurfaced and a good valve job. If you never had the heads off and they began to leak after the overheat, then you probably did warp the deck. Maybe only .003-.005 but thats still enough to leak. Overtorqing your heads to compensate for warp is a bad idea. You actually can cause the heads more damage by forcing them to take a shape that isnt flat, and most times it will not cure the leaking anyways.

Brandon

Last edited by xfactor_pitbulls; 07-30-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you did remove the head and install/torque it in sequence right?
Old 07-30-2005, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

If a water pump has signs of water leaking from the bottom of it does this usually mean it is shot?
yeah.. that means it is 100% toast..
Old 07-30-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you talking about the two round guides that sit in between the block and the head?
yes those are the ones...they can cause problems if they dont seat right..
Old 07-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Stroker 1500
you did remove the head and install/torque it in sequence right?

Yes, I have done my heads and others several times now.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by redbandit98
yes those are the ones...they can cause problems if they dont seat right..

We don't even needs these do we?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Aluminum heads in general are prone to warpage when overheated, not just LS1 heads. If your head is warped so badly that it is no longer seated squarely on the locator dowels your way past what is considered normal warpage after an engine gets overheated. If it had gotten that bad the head is shot and you probably lost all your water and oil not to mention that you wouldn't have compression at that point which means your engine isn't running anyway. I doubt you overheated your engine to that point. If you can peak between the block/head deck surfaces and see the locator dowels your in big trouble. It's time to dig out the credit card.

Quick Reply: Warping an LS1 Aluminum Head