Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think my motor is toast..need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think my motor is toast..need help

Well i recieved some bad news today.im an idiot BTW..anyways i put a 233/239 in my car 2.5 weeks ago along with a fast 90 intake and a nw TB. I have been driving around on stock tune and running it pretty hard..it felt pretty strong, but not real good. anyway i drop it off to get it tuned today and we hook up the wide band and the a/f ratio was 18.1!!!!!!!****! we thought the wideban was messed up but it wasnt..we fattened it way up and it gained alot of power..then we start lookin around the engine and we noticed the intake wasnt sealed good to the block, come to find out i forgot to change the valley cover bolts and it wasnt sealed good at all. would this cause it to be so lean? and on top of that somehow my knock sensor wires got pinched in between the head and the intake so they werent workin...so basically i was drivin around for 2.5 weeks with a a/f ratio of 18 with no knock sensors...lol...so how the **** is my motor still running? how much longer do you think before she blows..i had planned on puttin nitrous on it within the next 2 months...hell i already ordered a kit..maybe i should put a 200 shot on it and when it blows just put a 408 in it lol..so how much does it have left in her before she blows? thanks..also i had them pull the plugs and they look perfect but i dont think that really matters does it?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:13 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably fine if you don't see anything right now you probably got lucky and it will be fine for now. If you add nitrous and it finally blows there will be no way of telling if it really caused it or it was just another failure due to the nitrous. So I would plan for the worst and then spray it like you want to. JMO! Good luck.
Jeff
Old 08-04-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think you stressed the hell out of the motor. I would check the oil for metal shavings. Lots of knock can spin bearings fast. Might want to send the oil off to be check by an oil company that can tell you what propertys are in the oil that should not be there. Just a thought. What are your new numbers that might help us to figure out if you are down on power. You might have gotten lucky and she could be all right.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goober35
I think you stressed the hell out of the motor. I would check the oil for metal shavings. Lots of knock can spin bearings fast. Might want to send the oil off to be check by an oil company that can tell you what propertys are in the oil that should not be there. Just a thought. What are your new numbers that might help us to figure out if you are down on power. You might have gotten lucky and she could be all right.
i cant remember the numbers..all i know is it gained 40rwhp and 72rwt when we fattened it up
Old 08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

40hp over your 340hp or 40hp when you added fuel.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear that, this is why I stress that cam swap should include a tune asap and be within the swap budget.
You can look at your plugs and see how much detonation you got.
And BTW, order the 408 now if you plan to spray 200 on a cammed stock shorblock.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Do a compression test to make sure you didn't burn the exhaust valve(s) out of it. If the compression test is good, change the oil, change the plugs (they're probably shot) and then consider yourself lucky.

If you want to be really **** about it, you can also fire it up (after you change the oil and plugs) and listen to the bottom end (for knocks) with a stethescope.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goober35
40hp over your 340hp or 40hp when you added fuel.
yes that is correct...it was somewhere in that range i cant remember though..we arent dont uning yet..and as far as the spark plugs, i pulled them and they looked perfect? i guess this is a good sign..and is doing a compression test really worth it? thanks!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Launching!

I really wouldnt bother with a compression test with how strong your motor is running. If anything I would do a leakdown test to check that you dont have any excessive blow-by. You said when you pulled the plugs they came out perfect then I really would just consider yourself lucky. Running that lean you really dont have to worry bout the bottomend, more the sealing of the heads to the block and the valves and plugs burning up. Again real lucky
Old 08-04-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my tuner said i should really be concerned about the pistons failing, and he also said you cant tell **** by lookin at the plugs..should i be worried about the pistons? thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Okie02
my tuner said i should really be concerned about the pistons failing, and he also said you cant tell **** by lookin at the plugs..should i be worried about the pistons? thanks
Sorry, but that is a funny statement
Old 08-04-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

who did your tuning?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Your tuner is correct about the pistons.. Especially these shitty LS1 pistons. Running that lean and beating on it cannot be a good thing for any part of the engine. But, the pistons could have gotten fried as well as the rings.. Dont be suprised if you put the spray on it and it busts a piston right off the bat..
Old 08-05-2005, 04:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you really think the motor is on borrowed time, I wouldnt risk anything and just do the 408. That way you could still make some of the money back by selling the block and crank.