Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spitting Oil From Tail Pipe????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spitting Oil From Tail Pipe????

After I did heads, cam and shorty headers I've noticed what looks almost like oil spitting out of my tailpipes after a cold start. I don't see how it could be oil because my car doesn't blow smoke. It only seems to do it on a cold start. At first I almost thought it was gas because of the smell, but I've had it tuned and it's not running rich. It's leaving little speckled circles in my driveway that look like oil spots. I thought condensation could be mixing with the carbon in the exhaust and turning it black, but there's too much of it for that too be the case. Does anybody have any ideas?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

Nobody has a clue? No wonder I couldn't find anything with a search.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Resident

Not very likely to be oil. Reason being, for oil to collect like that it would have to be smokin like a SOB. Also, the hot exhaust would burn up any oil that was in there. It's probiably just condensation like you said. Think of it like a glass full of cold water in a warm room, it will condensate. Well, when you first start the car, the hot gasses from the exhaust hit the cool pipe and cause it it condensate. It goes away after it warms up past the condensation point. That is what I would suspect, but you can always use a paper towel to catch the crap and see what it is. If after 5 minutes it's still wet and slimmy it's probiably oil, if it's dry and powder like it's probiably condensation
Old 08-19-2005, 04:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup condensation, nothing to worry about.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:45 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Condensation. I've seen the same thing, usually only in the morning.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

My stock short block spit oil out the tailpipe.......but then again it smoked like James Bond's car and every piston had CHUNKS of ring land gone....

like they said.....condensation...........might look black because there is carbon being "washed" out with the water......
Old 08-19-2005, 10:54 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
After I did heads, cam and shorty headers I've noticed what looks almost like oil spitting out of my tailpipes after a cold start. I don't see how it could be oil because my car doesn't blow smoke. It only seems to do it on a cold start. At first I almost thought it was gas because of the smell, but I've had it tuned and it's not running rich. It's leaving little speckled circles in my driveway that look like oil spots. I thought condensation could be mixing with the carbon in the exhaust and turning it black, but there's too much of it for that too be the case. Does anybody have any ideas?

i know what your talking about.... i had the same thing...

go back and check your valve stem seals.... some of mine were not sealed properly.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

you say you had the car "tuned". What kind of tooning [sic] did you get? If it was just a dyno tune, it's not likely they tuned for part throttle. You could be running rich as hell under part throttle caking up your exhaust pipes, then, when you cold start the car, the condensation is carrying out the excess carbon build up.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I hope it's condensation. It makes me feel better to know others have experienced this. It doesn't just happen in the morning like it did with my mustang, it happens any time I start the car after sitting a little while. I'm not blowing smoke so I wouldn't think it would be oil. I sure hope its not the valve seals, I don't really feel like checking them. I put brand new valve seals on and hope they're doing their job.

QUOTE:you say you had the car "tuned". What kind of tooning [sic] did you get? If it was just a dyno tune, it's not likely they tuned for part throttle. You could be running rich as hell under part throttle caking up your exhaust pipes, then, when you cold start the car, the condensation is carrying out the excess carbon build up.

I had my car tuned with HP tuners as I drove around and part throttle is tuned. The car seems to be running great. My exhaust pipes are caked with carbon, but I would expect a little more carbon with heads and cam, right?

Quick Reply: Spitting Oil From Tail Pipe????