Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sea Foam Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sea Foam Question

K i'm gonna race in the drags tomorrow night but I need to get rid of some pinging bad (which I think is mostly due to bad gas :complain: ) First question: should I run it through the fuel tank or straight into the crank? If I do run it through the crank, where do I put it in? A detailed discription, or even better, picture would be appreciated. Is it safe to drag with Sea Foam running through your car? Oh yah... I just installed a new fuel filter if that has any bearing on the situation. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2005, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pull the brake booster line off the brake booster, and pour it in that line while the car is idling. You may need a friend to attend to the gas pedal so that you don't stall it putting the cleaner in.

I'd let it sit overnight if at all possible, or atleast for a few hours so it has a good chance to break everything up in your engine. But I would recomend changing your oil BEFORE you go to the dragstrip. I know it doesn't say it on the bottle, but w/ GM Top end cleaner your supposed to change your oil after running it, and seafoam does the same job, so if it did thin out your oil, I'd hate to run it a few passes at the track
Old 09-17-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28
Pull the brake booster line off the brake booster, and pour it in that line while the car is idling. You may need a friend to attend to the gas pedal so that you don't stall it putting the cleaner in.
K all I'm gonna do today is the gas tank part... run it through with it just in the gas to clean the injectors, etc, etc. I'm gonna put it through the brake booster line right before my next oil change.... my only question is - where's the brake booster line?!? I have no clue where it is. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-17-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

its the rubber hose that is connected to a big black hemisphere looking thing DIRECTLY behind your brake fluid resevoir. So in the back of the engine bay, on the drivers side.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:46 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like they said, the correct way to do it is add seafoam into your brake booster line. It is possible to keep the engine running by yourself, the throttle cable is right there next to you. Otherwise, have a buddy do it for you.

You want to add approx. half of the seafoam in while you keep the engine idling, then dump the rest in and let it die. Let it sit for awhile, ideally overnight. Change your oil after you add seafoam! It does have an added lubrication agent, but it's best to change your oil anyhow.

As FstBlkZ28 said, I wouldn't want to run on thinned out oil at the drags either!

Now on another note, Seafoam probably won't solve that pinging problem. It will help if there's a lot of carbon buildup in your engine, but thats about it. Bad gas may be your problem, do you run 93 octane? It says in your sig you were pinging at the dyno as well.

I'd guess that hypertech programmer the previous owner installed is causing it. You should be able to run fine on 93, no pinging at all. The tune they programmed is probably too radical.

Just a few things to look into

Rob

Last edited by BAD ASS TA WS6; 09-17-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would never let it sit over night, nor would I let it kill the engine by flooding it. On the bottle it says let sit for, what, like 5 minutes, and then it says only pour half the bottle in. I think you could end up with potential problems by doing it this way.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
I would never let it sit over night, nor would I let it kill the engine by flooding it. On the bottle it says let sit for, what, like 5 minutes, and then it says only pour half the bottle in. I think you could end up with potential problems by doing it this way.
I've done a full can of top end cleaner overnight w/o a problem. Have also done a full can of seafoam over night w/o a problem. Honestly, 5 minutes is nowhere near long enough to let the seafoam break down carbon build up.

My proof: When i had my head off, i had a HUGE amount of carbon build up on top of my pistons, so i poured some seafoam in the cylinders and let it sit for 20 minutes. Soaked it up, and then tryed rubbing the carbon .... barely even put a dent in the carbon build up. Whether or not a full night would do any better ... who knows
Old 09-18-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 777
GM accually recommends to kill the engine while running their top engine cleaner and let it sit overnight afterwards. then of course start it up drive it a little hard to blow the stuff out and change the oil.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

edit: don't drink and post

Last edited by Shooter_Jay; 09-18-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:03 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

OK, don't let it sit overnight. Let it sit for 5 minutes, and see what it solves. I'm a BMW technician but muscle cars are my hobby.

I've never used Seafoam before, and obviously have no idea what im talking about.

Rob
Old 09-18-2005, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

alot of the dakota guys pour it down the TB, add to oil, gastank, and down a vacuum line. anyone know if it's true that seafoam can break apart too much sludge and clog up the oil system? i hear some people remove the oil pan after seafoam and notice a ton of sludge that has settled down.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

That wouldn't be a half bad idea, to remove the oil pan and clean it out after the seafoam bit during the oil change.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:17 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

We built a 306ci heads/cam small block Ford for my buddy a couple of months ago. Previously we had run Seafoam through the motor after we tuned the car up.

The block was actually out of a '79, and we didn't notice any sludge in the motor at all when we tore it apart. Which was actually pretty surprising...

I don't know if sludge build up is common after using Seafoam. I didn't notice it, but people use that stuff so many different ways.

Just make sure you change your oil afterwards.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

WIll do and thanks for all the advice. I ran the car last night - it was still pinging - but not nearly as bad w/ the 100 in there... (only put 1/2 of the Sea Foam in the gas tank earlier that day... then it was off to get some 100 octane race fuel to even out the $hitty 91 - no 93 in cali or nevada). Car had minimal pinging after I gave it a few jumps to 5.5k RPMs and after it got the 100 mixing around in there.... once that 100 gets in there it starts purrin... then I get a lead foot...
Old 09-18-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

you ran the car at the track with seafoam in it?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:27 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

It's too bad you can't re tune that car with the hypertech. It must really **** you off that it pings like that because of the gas quality. I didn't realize you were in CA!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Pinging is the result of a serious problem. I would not run the car at a track with a pinging condition. Hell - I would not drive the car with a pinging condition!

You may have too much ignition timming in your tune up. Or your running **** gas. Either way, pinging will burn valves and pistons, so get it fixed.... before your motor goes POW!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
you ran the car at the track with seafoam in it?
Yah - about half the can in the gas tank... didn't run it through the crank yet cause i don't wanna thin out my oil. It ran ok... my r/t and 60' killed it. It's not knocking at all now... brought it up to 4k up the onramp today and nothin... maby it likes the California air better than Nevada's... who knows... I need to get some cash together to buy a new Thermo, get the fans tuned to come on earlier and maby just have someone tune the car - just drive around, log, and tune... don't have the cash for a 400-500 dollar dyno tune... wish I did...
Old 09-20-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

what would concern me about leaving it in the motor longer than recommended would be etching/contamination of the cylinder walls and other bearing surfaces.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Hello.

Just to pipe in here, I have used GM Top Engine Cleaner about a dozen times now on various cars, including my LS1.

I usually pour it in through the TB, slowly, and turn the car off myself after the can is empty. I have only let the Cleaner kill the engine once, and it was on a Cavalier... it started up just fine after 20min.

Also, I usually let the Cleaner sit for 15-20 minutes or so. I have never heard about leaving it overnight.

Quick Reply: Sea Foam Question