Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L in a '99 Camaro???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L in a '99 Camaro???

Has anyone done or tried this? I have a customer thats wanting to do this because his 5.7 blew and he is wanting a "quick fix" until he gets the money up for something different, this is the only car he has right now and he is getting another truck in a couple of months he says so he wants it long enough to get him by. He wants to put this motor in since he can buy them all day long for 500 instead of the usual 2-3k for the 5.7, too bad the 6.0's aren't going for 500 too!!! I told him about this site and he is hell bent to do this.

What if any problems could I expect to come across in this process? I know the covers and intake/induction but any other problems? Should I tell him to get the ECU as well or will the lsx ecu work with out any/mild adjustments? What about a 4.8? He says he can get one of those for 400...cheap if you ask me. I told him you get what you pay for and he is hell bent. I just hope it doesn't go into it and then he trades it off for the truck in a few weeks/months then I have that responsibilty on my shoulders.

So the front cover
Rear Cover
Valve Cover
Intake
TB
Air Box
I am pretty sure would have to change out

What about the knok sensors
coil packs
ecu
accesories, ie ac, altenator, ps. etc.
Is the 5.3 any wider/taller other than the valve covers
Any other problem areas??

Also what can I tell him top expect as far as performance?
Significant drop?? I would assume, lower hp maybe a pickup in tq???
What are the 5.3 cam spes? Redline? 5500-6000?

??????alot of help would be graetly appreciated!!!

surely someone has this before to save the money or get their ride back up and going for a quick fix?!?!?

BTW his motor is screwed, another n2o car without safety equip...needs it all and don't want to pay...he is in college so I guess I understand....to an extent.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-30-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oil pan as well
Old 09-30-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will work, but he might want to have the PCM redone for fuel and timing tables to match up. Compression is gonna be down from a 5.7, and so is obvious (displacement). Cams are similar enough. You would need to use the oil pan off the 5.7 and the pickup. Everything else should be a direct crossover. The only problem that I might think of is that maybe the AC compressor bracket won't bolt on because a bolt might not be drilled and tapped in the block but I'm not certain about that.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok thanks, I know the 60 ac brackets have to be drilled but I am not sure about the 53's, we'll see and I will let you all know.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Well,
It can be done........but....... why spend all the other time to change everything like the intake,the coils,the water pump,the oil pan,not to mention the balancer with new bolt (because your not supposed to re-use the old one) because you better go get your torque angle gauge and eat your Tiger Woods Wheaties cause at almost 300FT lbs of torque your gonna wish you just rebuilt yours or got you another camaro engine especially when you go paying to have the computer reprogrammed.(Oh yea and one of your alternator bracket bolts that's on your Camaro engine is gonna be missing on the truck motor. (OUCH!)
Just trying to help
Old 10-02-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's not mine, it's a custoimers, he is very very persistant to have this done. On that altenator bolt, can it be tapped? What else wil need to be done?

So far Intake, TB, Airbox, Valve Covers, Oil Pan, ?Front Cover?,

What would be the deal with the alternator, ac, ps, and all the other stuff up front?
Old 10-02-2005, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

It is understandable that he is persistant with the cost difference, but since he is your "Customer" I assume he is paying you......I think he could get another 5.7 reasonably cheap if he consider's the cost of your time to modify the 5.3 and swap over all the necessary parts along with that always in-expensive job of tuning. Changing displacement will yield lees then desirable results if the timing and fuel curves are not changed as pointed out previously. Just my .02
Old 10-03-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

well he can get the ecu for an extra 50 bucks but i dont know if that would even work with the intake oil pan valve covers and front drives being changed...will probably try to find him a block for cheap to get him by until he sells or trades it in...we'll see.