Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug not threading

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Spark plug not threading

we did a header install and getting close to finish when the driver side last plug didn't wanna go in. tried time and time again and it won't tighten down. my question is do i have to pull the head or is there another way to rethread the hole?
thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try using a spark plug thread cleaner from auto zone first, and if that doesn't work then you may have to pull the head and send it to a machine shop to have it repaired.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah spark plug cleaner or antiseize should help you thread it in.

If that doesnt work you will have to have it drilled and re threaded.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go about it while installed on the car, make sure you do your very best to get all the **** out of the combustion chamber.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would avoid using antisieze if possible, it causes you to misthread the plug holes without knowing it. Run the thread cleaner in the hole a couple of times and make sure that all of the gunk it is out of it and use a new spark plug. This will ensure you don't misthread again.
If that doesn't work then pull the head. Don't dare try to repair it while it still on the car, the flakes will ruin your cylinder walls.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SuperC1
I would avoid using antisieze if possible, it causes you to misthread the plug holes without knowing it. Run the thread cleaner in the hole a couple of times and make sure that all of the gunk it is out of it and use a new spark plug. This will ensure you don't misthread again.
If that doesn't work then pull the head. Don't dare try to repair it while it still on the car, the flakes will ruin your cylinder walls.
Are you saying that antiseize makes you crossthread bolts, sparkplugs etc??? If so you are 110% WRONG. How is that gonna happen? It actually makes them start and thread in easier, you can do it by hand which REDUCES the chance of damaging the threads. If what your saying is true, that would mean that antiseize makes the threads jump outta line.....uh, not happening.

I am a machinist, and whether you are just screwing a bolt or whatever in, or actually tappin a hole, cutting threads, some type of lubricant is ALWAYS better.....
Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Relax guys. i need help, not a fight. it's cool.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

No fight here, just trying to give you correct info....that's help right?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Are you saying that antiseize makes you crossthread bolts, sparkplugs etc??? If so you are 110% WRONG. How is that gonna happen? It actually makes them start and thread in easier, you can do it by hand which REDUCES the chance of damaging the threads. If what your saying is true, that would mean that antiseize makes the threads jump outta line.....uh, not happening.

I am a machinist, and whether you are just screwing a bolt or whatever in, or actually tappin a hole, cutting threads, some type of lubricant is ALWAYS
better.....
No, I'm not saying antiseize makes you crossthread bolts, but if you use it on your plugs be careful. This is what caused mine to misthread. Once I cleaned the plug hole and tried it wiyhout the anti-sieze I didn't have any problems with it anymore. I think antisieze is good product, i just don't like using it on aluminum heads.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SuperC1
No, I'm not saying antiseize makes you crossthread bolts, but if you use it on your plugs be careful. This is what caused mine to misthread. Once I cleaned the plug hole and tried it wiyhout the anti-sieze I didn't have any problems with it anymore. I think antisieze is good product, i just don't like using it on aluminum heads.
What do you mean by misthread?

Antiseize is especially good when used on aluminum material that has steel or other materials in them, it keeps them from possibly trashing the part when disassembling them later.

I have found it extremely easier to thread in header bolts and sparkplugs when using antiseize. And it makes removing them the next time sooo much easier.

I am NOT trying to be a dick or argue, just to help out the poster and understand someone elses different outlook on this topic
Old 11-01-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am assuming that you can't even get the spark plug in, not that it wont tighten down, or am I wrong?

Happened to me on the #7 cyl. Took a tap and GENTLY threaded it in and out of the sparkplug hole a couple times, then I used a thread cleaner to clean the threads.... spark plug went in fine after that.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
What do you mean by misthread?

Antiseize is especially good when used on aluminum material that has steel or other materials in them, it keeps them from possibly trashing the part when disassembling them later.

I have found it extremely easier to thread in header bolts and sparkplugs when using antiseize. And it makes removing them the next time sooo much easier.

I am NOT trying to be a dick or argue, just to help out the poster and understand someone elses different outlook on this topic
Do yours the way you like, nobody is saying its wrong to use antisieze, I'm giving my opinion, I don't use it on plugs, if you like it then use it, I don't. I have changed a lot of spark plugs in my time, and have only had one to misthread and it had antisieze on it, but you are entitled to your opinion, nobody will acuse you of being wrong for using it.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like anti-seize on my plugs. For the love of god, so this stops happening to people, screw the plug in by hand first. And i don't mean even with just the socket on. You get much better feel with just the plug in your hand. Also, to get the plug started (or any other threaded item) it helps to turn them counter-clockwise for a couple of turns, so you get some feel of the angle it's at! Good luck!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jermzz
Took a tap and GENTLY threaded it in and out of the sparkplug hole a couple times, then I used a thread cleaner to clean the threads.... spark plug went in fine after that.
Did you use antisieze on it after you cleaned the hole???
Old 11-02-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grimes
I like anti-seize on my plugs. For the love of god, so this stops happening to people, screw the plug in by hand first. And i don't mean even with just the socket on. You get much better feel with just the plug in your hand. Also, to get the plug started (or any other threaded item) it helps to turn them counter-clockwise for a couple of turns, so you get some feel of the angle it's at! Good luck!
I agree always start them by hand first and then torque them down to the correct setting, just don't over torque them. This is where your nightmare will begin if you do.

Quick Reply: Spark plug not threading