Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam/Head setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam/Head setup

Well, I've been searching these forums for weeks, and though it has answered many questions, I still have a few that I can't figure.

I have a 99 z28 as a daily driver, ~87k miles, with a lid and muffler (possibly a catback, I bought the car used and it had this stuff on it). I'd like to make somewhere in the 375-400 hp/tq range, and am trying to find the best way to do it. Oh, and any more hp/tq for the same price is just fine, of course.

I was looking at cams, and, since I'm in California, am most interested in the tr224. It seems to have a great reputation, and it should be smog-able. I'd like to get a set of heads to compliment the cam, but I know nothing about them. I am quite interested in the patriot ls6 "Stage III 1020 Superflow Bench 4.125 Bore" heads. They're in the middle of this page here: http://sites.reachtheworld.tv/waterN...03567&DID=1225

But, like I said before, I don't know anything about cylinder heads, so I don't even know if those would work for my application. I also would like my powerband to be from around 2-6k, since I won't be moving the rev limiter up any, and the fact that this is my daily driver. Would the Stage II heads be better for more low-midrange power? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After adding the heads and cam, I would like to add some headers (I like the bassani shorty headers, but I don't know if they are CARB certified. If not, then the only two that I know of are the Edelbrocks and the JBAs.). I *might* y-pipe, if there are any smog legal ones out there. LS6 intake, ported TB, and maybe 3.73 gears for some extra oomph. And I might get it tuned (conservatively, since it is my daily driver, and I live in the desert). That should be it. I'd like any comments or suggestions for parts, and I'd also really appreciate it if anyone could give me an approx. hp/tq amount.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MrDomino
Well, I've been searching these forums for weeks, and though it has answered many questions, I still have a few that I can't figure.

I have a 99 z28 as a daily driver, ~87k miles, with a lid and muffler (possibly a catback, I bought the car used and it had this stuff on it). I'd like to make somewhere in the 375-400 hp/tq range, and am trying to find the best way to do it. Oh, and any more hp/tq for the same price is just fine, of course.

I was looking at cams, and, since I'm in California, am most interested in the tr224. It seems to have a great reputation, and it should be smog-able. I'd like to get a set of heads to compliment the cam, but I know nothing about them. I am quite interested in the patriot ls6 "Stage III 1020 Superflow Bench 4.125 Bore" heads. They're in the middle of this page here: http://sites.reachtheworld.tv/waterN...03567&DID=1225

But, like I said before, I don't know anything about cylinder heads, so I don't even know if those would work for my application. I also would like my powerband to be from around 2-6k, since I won't be moving the rev limiter up any, and the fact that this is my daily driver. Would the Stage II heads be better for more low-midrange power? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After adding the heads and cam, I would like to add some headers (I like the bassani shorty headers, but I don't know if they are CARB certified. If not, then the only two that I know of are the Edelbrocks and the JBAs.). I *might* y-pipe, if there are any smog legal ones out there. LS6 intake, ported TB, and maybe 3.73 gears for some extra oomph. And I might get it tuned (conservatively, since it is my daily driver, and I live in the desert). That should be it. I'd like any comments or suggestions for parts, and I'd also really appreciate it if anyone could give me an approx. hp/tq amount.

I'm in the same boat with you man, except I live in TX so the inspections are different. But other than that we have the same delima. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 11-10-2005, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hold off on the heads and cam until you get the headers. You will be dissapointed with the results if you get the heads and cam first. Also, look into other heads. Stage 3's are usually used for non-stock cubed motors. Look into AFR's 205's, or if cost is a factor, look to Txeas Speed, TEA or patriot for some lower stages.
The tuning will only help the set up. Being in the desert, I would go for an all-out tune. It's only going to help with everything, including how it behaves on the road. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know if anybody else will say this, but a set of the patriot 5.3 heads may do you good too. They will increase the compression ratio, and flow enough for your stock motor, and that cam.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Well, price definetly is a factor, that's why I was interested in the patriot heads. Like I said, though, I don't really know anything about heads. People seem to get the highest gains with stage III's, which seem to have the largest amount of flow, and at patriot, stage II and stage III are the same price. So would anyone suggest I get the 5.3/ls1 style heads over the ls6 style heads? Even though I'll be getting an ls6 intake plenum?

Oh, and I'll be buying all these parts at the same time, and all will be put on (hopefully) in the same install.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, AFR's are costly, but are unmatched in flow in most cases. Patriot, TEA, and the PRC heads from Texas Speed would all run about the same cost I believe. In my opinion, I like the 5.3 heads better than LS6 style because you get that extra bump in compression.
The patriot stage 2's are a good choice. However, the 5.3 Stage 1.5 from TEA seem to have better flow data. And I've been told that the PRC Stage 2.5 from Texas Speed flow even better than that. Either way, you can't go wrong. You'll see good power gains from each of them, all for around the same prices.
Since you're planning on buying all at once, look into the package deals that TSP and Speed inc. offer.

http://www.texas-speed.com/
http://www.ls1speed.com

Texas Speed has head and cam packages that can heave either PRC or TEA heads and Speed Inc has Patriot packages with either a patriot cam or one of their grinds. TSP has a package with everything you need, even the oil pump and timing chain for a pretty good price.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would suggest getting headers first, and you could get a catted Y pipe from somewhere such as TSP and still be emission legal I believe. I think quite a few people are seeing HP #'s around 375 w/ the TR 224 cam, ls6 intake, and full exhaust w/ stock heads. I would also suggest getting a good stall and good tune after you have everything done. Good luck w/ your decision
Old 11-10-2005, 05:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers with cats is definately a good mod! We picked up 17rwhp with headers & our cat y pipe about a month ago! As far as h/c setups are concerned, what's your power goals for the car? We have heads in stock & ready to go! You might checkout the dyno section for recent results with PRC cylinder heads & TSP cams
Old 11-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Hopefully this helps, I dyno'ed 376 at the rear wheels with my TR224 before I added a SLP crank pulley. I'm finally getting around to my heads install and I'm going with some new PRC 2.5s from Texas Speed. I have full bolt ons and Kook's headers w/cats, I'm hoping for another 40 hp. I'll post results as soon as I bolt them up and get tuned/dyno'ed again.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone. I really like the package that TSP has, I think I might go with that when the time comes. And I think a catted y would be good, as well. No need for a stall, since I've got an M6. And thanks for the dyno numbers gadzookss. Sent you a pm, Jon.

Anyone heard anything good about the bassani optimum length shorty headers? They help with the whole scavenger effect because of the lengths of the pipes, but are still emissions legal (according to them, at least). Although I don't know if I want to spend near $700 for a pair of shorties
Old 11-12-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might be selling my AFR 205's milled to 61 CC
brand new in the box $2050 with MLS GM gasket
Old 11-12-2005, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
I might be selling my AFR 205's milled to 61 CC
brand new in the box $2050 with MLS GM gasket
I'm sure that's a good deal for those quality heads, but I'm on a tighter budget =/. I don't need the best of the best, it's just my daily driver that I want to have some nice power, so I can't spend on it like it's just my weekend car. Thank you, but I'm looking to spend 2500 for the whole head/cam/etc. package from TSP. They seem to have some nice stuff. Thanks though =].
Old 11-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Teching In

It may not apply but!!! Technically if you move the cats then it will not only void your emissions warranty but will also fail an emission visual inspection! (at least here in Nv.) But who's really gonna know I guess? as long as the cats are there. Good luck I went with patriot ls6 stg II and comp cam and really like the increase on my m6.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDomino
Anyone heard anything good about the bassani optimum length shorty headers? They help with the whole scavenger effect because of the lengths of the pipes, but are still emissions legal (according to them, at least). Although I don't know if I want to spend near $700 for a pair of shorties
i have them on the wife's car. great fit. they'll never be cali legal as they move the location of the cats from the stock position. only JBA, that i know of, are cali legal. as they bolt directly to the stock cats.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Def go with the 5.3's (patriot, prc, etc) and the tr 224 cam, you will def see 375-400 rwhp with that combo. An ls6 intake is a must, along with some type of headers (shorty or otherwise). Do you know any inspection stations that could pass you? If so go with a set of basanni or mac mids. I have the macs and honestly its really hard to tell if you look under the car that they are any different from the stock manifolds. If the shop owner doesnt know camaros then just BS them and tell them its factory and your def gonna need a full tune to take full advantage of the H/C setup. Let us know what route you go though and good luck!
Old 11-12-2005, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

As much as I would love to have mid-lengths, I just don't want to risk it. I don't know of any shops out here that would be willing to pass me...in fact, out here, I think most of the smog station guys are a-holes. At least, that was my parents' last experience with them (yeah, I'm only 18, btw.) Anyway, I was hoping the JBA's were shorty, but I guess they're mid's. I think I'm going to look into the edelbrock shorties, then, since they're only around $400, and I've had nothing but good experiences with their products in the past.

Now, another cam question. I think I want to get the TSP 224/224 cam on a 114 LSA, but they have another version of it, with slightly more lift, and a more aggressive ramp rate, I believe, like the extreme energy cams, it's the TSP 224/224R. Would it still be possible to pass smog with that cam (and a tune, of course) on a 114 LSA? Or, could I even consider a 112 LSA? Or...should I look for a cam with some timing advance ground into it, like a 114+2 or +4...something along those lines? Keep in mind this is my daily driver, and I'm in CA, the most performance-car-hating-state ever D:.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

TTT, please.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

We can do a set of our 5.3 stage II heads or a set of our LS6 style heads for you. Both of these heads begin as new GM castings, they are 100% CNC ported, assembled with REV valves, ti retainers, the Orginal Patriot Gold dual springs, Machined super 7 locks, custom honed bronze guides, machined spring bases and viton rubber seals. These heads are an excellent value and provide great performance !!

The 5.3 stage II heads are $1,095.00 assembled and the LS6 style heads are only $1,195.00. We also offer a great street cam that is a 226/226 .585"/.585" on a 112 LSA. You can get the 5.3 heads and cams for $1,374.50 or the LS6 style heads and cam for $1,474.50 !! If you have any questions, please give us a call or PM us.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM'd ya back!

We've had several customers run the 224R along with the Pacesetter LT headers and our Catted-Y that have passed Cali. emissions testing.

Jon
Old 11-15-2005, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
PM'd ya back!

We've had several customers run the 224R along with the Pacesetter LT headers and our Catted-Y that have passed Cali. emissions testing.

Jon
It's impossible to pass CA emissions with LT's, though. Sniffer and OBDII, yes, but you will fail the visual.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

EDIT: Jon, do the PRC stage 2.5 heads come assembled, or bare?