Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounds like gravel in my engine???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sounds like gravel in my engine???

I started getting a tick in my car that wasn't too loud, but was still noticeable inside the car. Increases frequency, but doesn't get louder with RPMS. Doesn't go away when the car warms up either.

I did the screwdriver to the ear thing and with the exception of normal stuff like the EVAP solenoid and the fuel rails, couldn't find anything ticking up on the top of the engine. I checked the 6 spark plug wires I could reach from up top, and they seemed clicked all the way on.

Anyways, I didn't think too much of it, but the next day my SES light comes on. I go to Autozone to get the codes pulled, but I find out my OBDII port isn't getting power (I guess I messed it up somehow) so I can't pull the code.

The next day my engine starts to get a vibration in it, almost like there's gravel in it. It started only when I was going around a corner, but now I get it anytime I'm accelerating between 1500-2500RPM. It seems to smooth out completely by 4000RPM. It doesn't happen on deceleration with my foot off the throttle. I can actually feel the vibration in my throttle pedal and my clutch pedal. Oil pressure is just fine.

Any ideas what it might be?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Simple stuff first... Check the plug wires and the plugs. It would be nice to see the code though...
Old 11-22-2005, 06:33 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I believe the cig lighter and port share a fuse. If the fuse is blown the port isn't powered.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Ya, I thought it was odd that the port didn't get any power, so I checked both cig lighters with a multi and they didn't have power either. I checked the fuse and it didnn't seem to be bad, but I'm going to replace it today anyways.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

check relays too.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you may have a pitted lifter, or possily turned sideways. Check your oil and filter for metal as this is a serious issue. I just replaced 4 lifters last month.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

OK, found the fault in my OBDII port wiring and pulled the code. I got "Random Missfires" and "Clutch Sensor". Does this help?

Also, I'm also almost positive the grinding has to do with my clutch. I know this isn't the manual transmission forum (maybe a mod can move it), but does anyone have any clue what would cause it to grind? I'm going to change the oil tomorrow to check for anything that shouldn't be there, and I'm going to pull the plugs while I'm at it.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be the through out bearing. they tend to sound noisy. not sure it would give you random misfires though...
Old 11-22-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

this is much much more than noise. This is vibration that can be felt in the floor board, pedals, and shifter. Honestly the best description of it is if someone poured gravel in your engine.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

oh, and my throw out bearing is brand new... forgot to mention that one.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure the sound isn't coming from your shifter? I replaced my stock shifter-handle with a lou's short stick, and realized that the hurst shifter had a rubber boot on the bottom to help with noise...Anyhow, when I'm in first gear only, and hit 5K+ rpms, it sounds like there is gravel in my shifter. Is this the sound you're hearing? The code might be something completely unrelated. Or vice-versa, the sound could be completely related to the code, and you're getting a collision with the p/v's and this would result in misfire or bad idle. Its really hard to gauge until you can completely narrow down where the noise is coming from. Does the ticking sound get faster as you rev the engine even if you're out of gear? If it does, then I would think its something with the internal engine, and I would tear some heads off and see whats up in there.

Good luck to you! Keep us updated,
Adrian
Old 11-23-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A really bad transmission input shaft bearing could make the noise you describe, or even failure of the clutch disc hub. If the vibration is severe enough, it will be picked up by the sensors and interpreted as a "random misfire". I had an F-body in our shop last year that had a loose flywheel that was causing a "random missfire, P0300".
Old 11-23-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

OK guys, checked the plugs and they were all on tight, but I R&R'ed the plug wires just in case. I checked the oil and I can't find anything in it, but I didn't totally drain it, just a little.

I've come to the conclusion that the problem is definatley coming from somewhere inbetween my tranny and my engine. Whether it's metal on metal contact between my flywheel/pressure plate, or a loose bolt, or a bad input shaft, i don't know.

It is a metal on metal grinding though that gets better (but doesn't completely go away) when the clutch is disengaged. When I tap the throttle quickly to rev my engine, instead of the RPMS smoothly shooting up they get hung up on something and only go up ~50RPM. Whats weird is that while driving, after about ~3000 RPM it really seems to smooth out. The vibration and grinding seem to go away.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At this point, I would drop the trans and check everything out, sounds like something is up inside there. Good luck!

Adrian
Old 11-23-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop the tranny and inspect the clutch for problems/abnormal wear. Or you could just have someone look at it.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

I know it's going to come to that eventually, but I'd rather prolong the inevitable. I've already had to pay someone to R&R the tranny twice this last week alone ($750 total) because I broke my thumb and can't work on it. I don't particularly feel like spending another $300, especially since I'm most likely going to have to install a new clutch (another $1000).

Damn this car

Quick Reply: Sounds like gravel in my engine???