Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help..busted bolt in head during cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help..busted bolt in head during cam swap

Got in a hurry during cam swap and when bolting down spring compressor on #8 cylinder rear spring , I busted factory rocker arm bolt in the head. I can't seem to drill a hole in it with an angle drill to try to pull it out. Has anyone succesfully drilled these bolts out of the head...or am I just doomed to have to pull the head ,(passenger side)? While I am posting can I use my stock rods on a 04 Z06 cam and springs//seems base circle is a little smaller but the lifters should even this out or.. Any other advice would be welcomed.

2000SS camaro
Old 12-11-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the bolt broken down deep, or can you get some meat to grab? You can also get someone with a welder to try and attach a small rod to it, and back it off that way. Rocker bolts aren't that big though - may be tough.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would pull the head, and then try welding a rod to the end of it like Grimes said. That would be the best option if there is still some of it sticking above. Otherwise you'll have a hell of a time trying to get that **** out of there with a pair of vice-gripes.

Good luck to you!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:05 AM
11 Second Club

This happen to me before. I used a snake attachment on the drill and used some craftsman bolt extractors. I center punched it first then made a slight drill with tiny bit then used the extractor. I had my buddy pull the trigger for the drill while i handled the snake attachment with the bolt extractor and drilled it in and then put it in reverse and out it came. I had a shop vac in the process as well. It took allot of concertration. If you cant see back there use a mirror. Might be eaiser to take off the head if you want. Good luck hope you get everthing worked out.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for your help/replies...I will try to drill it again today but it sounds like I will have to pull the head because the bolt is so deep and on last cylinder..

Thanks,

James
Old 12-12-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

I broke one off and after trying for a couple hours I just pulled the head again. Once the head was on the bench it took all of 5 minutes to get out.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Exactly...I took the head off and ittook 5 minutes to get out ///thanks for all the replies//

jAMES
Old 12-12-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! happy ending!