Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

921 Valve Spring set issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 921 Valve Spring set issues

Well I got this 921 valve spring kit from a guy on ls1gto who said the kit was new.

Here is the issue with the hardened valve seat...

After I saw this, I decided I better check the springs out a little closer. To my dismay, it appeared that all of the springs had some minor wear on them. Nothing too serious with the springs though...

As a side note, all the retainers appear to be fine

So what should I do:
Replace the valve seat and use the springs after checking them out with a tester tool.

Sell the whole kit and purchase a new kit from a reputable vendor.

Any help would be great!
Old 12-16-2005, 06:47 AM
Teching In

So is this going to be a big deal?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It may just be a poor photo, but I don't see the damage to the spring. On the retainer, I would just replace the one although that one would likely work. Also, have you checked spring pressures, are they per specifications?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vettenuts
It may just be a poor photo, but I don't see the damage to the spring. On the retainer, I would just replace the one although that one would likely work. Also, have you checked spring pressures, are they per specifications?
Check the spring pressures and then you'll know if they're ok or not.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those marks on the bottom of the spring locator were not likely from the spring being used. Those should be hardened steel locators, and they sit on top of a soft aluminum head, no way the soft aluminum scratched the locator. The scratches look too irregular to be tooling marks, but i dont know what else it could be from. As long as the side that contact the spring dosnt look like that, im sure youll be okay.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good catch Guits. That's just plain weird? How deep are those marks? Unless it was on a head and had a shim under it, that's weird.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Teching In

they are not very deep, just a light scratching. I mean, if they were used they would most likely be discolored, etc ... It looks like a machining mark of some sort.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I posted this on another forum, but it almost looks like the seat was installed upside down and the spring was moving around on it. Not very logical, but that's what it looks like happened to it. Otherwise its really hard to explain.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I posted this on another forum, but it almost looks like the seat was installed upside down and the spring was moving around on it. Not very logical, but that's what it looks like happened to it. Otherwise its really hard to explain.
I dont think thats very likely at all. I wonder if this might have been the first piece turned out from a new bit of rod stock. Maybe when the material supplier cuts the rod stock down, they do it in a careless fashion. Then maybe when they made the spring locator out of the material, they just left the side as it was.