Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any testing done on the vic jr vs gm per?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 07:13 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any testing done on the vic jr vs gm per?

I know theres are alot of people kicking around the idea of going to the carb style intake victor jr or gm single plane intake.I don't know of any other ones out there as of now.I know guys with serious setups are looking at this but i would like to know what are the power bands on these intakes?How much more air do these intakes move vs our old 90mm fast intakes.Im hoping somone has track tested or dyno tested with good results.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

W2W tested the Darts on a 402 with the Single Plane.

Bret
Old 12-28-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

I'm a little unclear how a carb with venturies and jets could match an EFI setup in any possible way.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

he's referring to running a carb intake...not running a carb. use an EFI throttle body and retain the port injectors. Like this (notice the fuel rails)

Old 12-28-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Popular Hot Rodding built a turbo'd 408 sometime this summer. Buildup was split over 2 or 3 issues, don't have them with me, so I can't quote which issues. It was a turbo application, so it may not be applicable to a NA setup.

They tested with both a modified GMPP manifold (setup with injectors & big throttle body) vs the 90mm FAST. They made more power with the FAST. Don't remember the exact differences, but they were pushing over 1000hp.

I'll see if I can look up the magazine references.

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-28-2005, 05:48 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

I think etp is doing some testing with these intakes vs fast on there heads.I guess time will tell.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:58 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I'm a little unclear how a carb with venturies and jets could match an EFI setup in any possible way.
Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails Any testing done on the vic jr vs gm per?-intake.jpg  
Old 12-28-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

The carb manifolds are compromises around the carburetors nuances. In the old days multiple carbs (Ford even build an inline 4v carb) were ways around that problem. EFI manifolds don't have does issues.

A real EFI manifold should be better. Unless the EFI manifold is so bad even a carb manifold is better.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuff
I know theres are alot of people kicking around the idea of going to the carb style intake victor jr or gm single plane intake.I don't know of any other ones out there as of now.I know guys with serious setups are looking at this but i would like to know what are the power bands on these intakes?How much more air do these intakes move vs our old 90mm fast intakes.Im hoping somone has track tested or dyno tested with good results.
A while ago when I was kicking around many different ideas I got mixed signals from people but then again this was when the victor single plain had just come out. If I remember correctly the victor looked like it had a bigger plenum and was a little taller with more equal length runners then that of the gmpp manifold. The gmpp manifold is fairly flat. In forced induction they are great as they don't seem to limit flow to the head. However, the short runner of these intakes may not offer any of the ram tuning in n/a applications in the range you intend to use them unless your range is 8000+ plus. The stockish lsx manifolds are pretty good for this ram tuning in the effective rpm range I believe as their runners are a good bit longer. If you do some research you can find an thread in which heads were flowed with an intake in place and the difference in the upper lift areas was fairly significant (the lsx dropped flow by around 15% while the carb manifold only dropped around 4-6%). Plus, I think it's mat346..... or someone like that that runs one of these single plains on a real nasty 408 n/a and has put up some real real strong numbers.

I'm trying a modified sb2.2 intake (same kind of deal but much much bigger and taller and fully ported) that has been custom modifed by ESP with my c5-r heads. Should be pretty interesting when things finally come together.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Second Club

LOnSLO had the GMPP carb intake on his 408.. Might want to shoot him a PM about it.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
Popular Hot Rodding built a turbo'd 408 sometime this summer. Buildup was split over 2 or 3 issues, don't have them with me, so I can't quote which issues. It was a turbo application, so it may not be applicable to a NA setup.

They tested with both a modified GMPP manifold (setup with injectors & big throttle body) vs the 90mm FAST. They made more power with the FAST. Don't remember the exact differences, but they were pushing over 1000hp.

I'll see if I can look up the magazine references.

'JustDreamin'
First buildup issue was September '05. The 2nd issue (which had dyno test results) was October '05. They only made 1,138 hp... ...408, AFR heads, big turbo, 90mm FAST, bunch of other good parts.

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-29-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

I have a carb setup on my 402 and it makes crazy torque and hps. still have to make it to the dyno very soon but definetly over 500
Old 12-29-2005, 09:45 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

What do you guys think of this bad boy.It flows 2000cfm
Attached Thumbnails Any testing done on the vic jr vs gm per?-holley-throttle-body.jpg  
Old 12-30-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

This stuff is interesting, however it still reflects the poor selection of aftermarket intakes. Adapting a carb intake because it flows better, importing individual TBs from downunder, and only one intake being mentioned here (the FAST), is really a oiir state of affairs.

For a carb SBC, their are literally dozens of manifolds. Why isn't there the same choice for the LSx?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Why isn't there the same choice for the LSx?
Two big reasons spring to mind.

1.) The SBC has been around since 1955. That's 50 years. Since the LSx series didn't show up until 1997 (that's 9 model years ago), I'd expect that by 2047, there ought to be plenty of choices. Basically, the aftermarket support for the LSx series engines is nowhere near the SBC, but it is getting better every month.

2.) The factory offerings (LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7, truck manifolds) are pretty darned good. Add to that the FAST setup and there is a ready made manifold for "most" setups. Its not until you get fairly radical that the available manifolds come up short, and at that point, in the market's current state of development, you'll need to invest in something tuned for your specific application (like a sheetmetal intake).

Just my opinions.....

'JustDreamin'

Last edited by 'JustDreamin'; 12-30-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know it is expensive, but isn't the Beck Mechanical sheetmetal intake, what you hardcore guy really need?

Or am I way off base?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Banned

The single plane ain't a bad idea if you have enough stall. Most guys aren't even close to enough though.

Bret
Old 12-31-2005, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I hear that single plans have better fuel distribution over a sheetmetal intake, but for most folks running a single plan and cutting the cowl is problematic.

I have a Beck sheetmetal intake, and I have been trying to get an Edelbrock intake. I was going to dyno both with my new 2006 turbo setup.