Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Listen to this crap...can't believe my eyes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Listen to this crap...can't believe my eyes

I'm driving home about an hour ago and I start to here my belt squealing. I also feel my power steering making it harder to turn the steering wheel.

So I pull over and the first thing I do is grab the belt near the power steering pump. The belt is loose enough where I can take the belt right off if I pulled it forward. So I figure my Katech tensioner came loose...NOPE. The friggin pulley that is (or was) on the Katech tensioner is GONE

I don't mean the entire round thing with the tracks in it. The bolt is there, the front part of the pulley is there, the part that the belt sits on with the tracks in it is GONE. How could that depart the assembly? It would have had to split in half and than fall off. Its metal isn't it?

I drove 9 miles home very slow, when I was about 1 mile away from home my check gauges light came on because my volts were draining and the temp started to rise because the water pump wasn't getting spun its normal rotations. The power steering was sluggish the whole time.

I get the wierdest **** happening to me, oh well

I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Holy crap. WTF? That is really weird. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Ski
Old 01-04-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rebelord
Holy crap. WTF? That is really weird. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Ski
Well its a stock pulley, you have to use the stock pulley with the Katech tensioner. So maybe they're hard plastic and it just gave out and broke off.

Do you know if they're metal or hard plastic?

Old 01-04-2006, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

yep stock pullies can break...it happened on my wifes grand prix gtp.....on the idler pulley that was routed as a seperate system for her supercharger...just go pick up a new pulley. it should be less han 10 bucks
Old 01-04-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SgtB
yep stock pullies can break...it happened on my wifes grand prix gtp.....on the idler pulley that was routed as a seperate system for her supercharger...just go pick up a new pulley. it should be less han 10 bucks
$10, thats it? At the dealer?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:35 AM
11 Second Club

You may be able to find it at the auto parts store too.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Veteran

yeah, I'm gonna check around I guess. I do get parts at near cost from the Pontiac dealer. My buddy is the parts manager
Old 01-05-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

One of those damn things that happens that you would never experience, sometimes everyday seems like something new can happen to these cars haha.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quickin
$10, thats it? At the dealer?
I would try a local part store first of course....you should be able to get it there as pullies should not be a dealer only item...good luck
Old 01-05-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

$12.99...Pep Boys
Old 01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SgtB
Lol, same thing happened to my ex's GP a couple weeks ago!

$10 or $15 bucks and you'll be rolling again...
Old 01-05-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen on my old GTP. I got a metal pulley from Advance Auto for about 12 bucks. Made me happy since I didn't have to worry about the plastic breaking. I also bought one for the wife's GTP at the same time.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you set the belt tension as described in the instructions? I can see if the tensioner was very tight causing extreme load on the bearing, heating it up and melting the composite pulley.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Katech
Did you set the belt tension as described in the instructions? I can see if the tensioner was very tight causing extreme load on the bearing, heating it up and melting the composite pulley.
Well, the pulley was my factory pulley from 1998, so I just think its old and broke. I had a shop install the tensioner so I don't have those instructions. Can you copy/paste them somehow?

I just made the belt pretty snug each time I had the belt off over the past couple years, which was off maybe 10 times.

How tight should it be?

Old 01-06-2006, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
Well, the pulley was my factory pulley from 1998, so I just think its old and broke. I had a shop install the tensioner so I don't have those instructions. Can you copy/paste them somehow?

I just made the belt pretty snug each time I had the belt off over the past couple years, which was off maybe 10 times.

How tight should it be?

Use a torque wrench to apply 25 ft/lbs of tension to the belt. Tighten the shoulder bolt to 40 ft/lbs. Re-check periodically.

From my experience at working at dealerships I seem to remember L67 (3800SC) engines having problems with tensioner pulleys. They would break in exactly the same way. The pulley would come off the bearing and all that was left on the tensioner was a bolt and a bearing. I don't know if it was from too much tension, but I would guess that bearing was overheating and melting the pulley.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Probably after a given number of years/miles the stock plastic pullies should be replaced anyway (at least when they start making noise). The bearings are sealed, non-replaceable deals and this is a wear and tear, non lifetime item after all.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Katech
Use a torque wrench to apply 25 ft/lbs of tension to the belt. Tighten the shoulder bolt to 40 ft/lbs. Re-check periodically.

From my experience at working at dealerships I seem to remember L67 (3800SC) engines having problems with tensioner pulleys. They would break in exactly the same way. The pulley would come off the bearing and all that was left on the tensioner was a bolt and a bearing. I don't know if it was from too much tension, but I would guess that bearing was overheating and melting the pulley.
You're right. Because when I took the bolt and bearing off to replace it with the new pulley yesterday, the metal plate that acts as the washer for the front side of the pulley had melted, hardened plastic all over the inside. I had to chizel it off with a flat head screwdriver to clean it up. The bearing was totally locked up.

Thanks for the torque specs, I'll do it right now.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats nuts...at least the motor wasnt hurt....good thing you checked it right away
Old 01-06-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Probably after a given number of years/miles the stock plastic pullies should be replaced anyway (at least when they start making noise). The bearings are sealed, non-replaceable deals and this is a wear and tear, non lifetime item after all.
Yeah, it would have been 8 years old this April. Never made a sound though, no warning at all it was gonna fail.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
thats nuts...at least the motor wasnt hurt....good thing you checked it right away

Yeah, I immediately checked because my steering was sluggish, I first thought my power steering pump failed.