Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Developing weird symptoms of possible blown head gasket?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Developing weird symptoms of possible blown head gasket?!?

Well, as some of you may know. I just finished my F14 installed and removed and reinstalled the heads to change the lifters. This is whats going on...

My car on cold start-ups puts out the ever so slightest white puffs of smoke. There small and dissapate really fast, once beyond 6inches from tailpipes there gone. I been thinking its just condensation or whatnot burning off out of the exhaust. Well, tonight I go out there and check under the oil cap. Good to go. I changed the oil yesterday and it looked good. So I pull the radiator cap. Good to go also, radiator full and no oily looking stuff. Then I start the car, with the cap off still. Watching for bubbles or steam or something to exit the radiator. Its dark outside and have to use a flashlight mind you. Car is still cold at this time too. I check the tailpipes and with the flashlight I can use it to look and see the smoke "puff" out the exhaust. Wait a couple minutes more and the car is finally up to Op. Temp and coolant is flowing. Well, since the cam is in I really cant see if its "pulsing" to the engine. I'm watching it and I physically watch the coolant go down a bit, to expose the top of the tranny cooler in the tranny. Which is right under the fill cap. So, I pour more coolant in to the very top. Wait, it doesnt push it out, it eats it again. WTF? I'm watching with the flashlight and notice steam coming out of the radiator cap area. Still running the car with the cap off at 180* Op. Temp. No bubbles coming up and cant quite tell what exhaust smells like. The car is running really rich. At that point I could still watch the car "eat" the coolant but decided to come inside and deal with it more tommorow.

I know it was long. But I tried to be as descriptive as possible. I dont want to spend the money to go 250miles, get it tuned and then have to pull the damn heads off again. I'd rather pull them now, replace the gaskets and put in ARP studs than deal with factory headbolts again. Thank you guys for your time and patience.

BTW: I do NOT run hot or ever overheat.

Ski

Last edited by Rebelord; 01-04-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I have blown gaskets too, and I get the little faint, white puffs of smoke that also dissipate fast. Thats actually exactly how I described it in my thread about "dropped sleeves". Do what "sled" said, rev it in "park" and see if the coolant goes down-then back up, as you rev it. I guess thats a tell tale of blown gasket(s).
Old 01-04-2006, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

Quicken: sent you a pm.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Realize that it will take a while to keep getting the air worked out of the system, and that you will need to keep adding coolant while that takes place... Did you burp air out the TB coolant passage (highest point in the cooling system) ?

If it were burning that much coolant it would be a big white plume coming out of the exhaust, or your oil would be full of it...

Is there still white smoke after the car is fully up to temp ? It should only occur during warmup if it's normal condensation.

Good luck,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-05-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
Do what "sled" said, rev it in "park" and see if the coolant goes down-then back up, as you rev it. I guess thats a tell tale of blown gasket(s).
Careful here. On the older C4 Corvettes, because of the radiator setup you had to do what was termed "Pack the Radiator". What this was in effect was to rev the motor so the level would drop and then fill and get the cap on to ensure it was full. I don't think this is a good indication.

If you have a head gasket leaking, there is a sniffer that will pick up the combustion products in the coolant. Its a matter of removing the cap and using the tool, takes about 2 minutes if you have the tool. If you don't, see if a local garage does and you can get a better indication. If the coolant continues to go down, I would pull all the plugs. Look for the really clean one, that will be the one burning the coolant.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Realize that it will take a while to keep getting the air worked out of the system, and that you will need to keep adding coolant while that takes place... Did you burp air out the TB coolant passage (highest point in the cooling system) ?

If it were burning that much coolant it would be a big white plume coming out of the exhaust, or your oil would be full of it...

Is there still white smoke after the car is fully up to temp ? It should only occur during warmup if it's normal condensation.

Good luck,
Rob (Bad30th)
Well, after I refilled it last night it hasnt gone down any. I got up this morning, drove to work. When I went to chow, I checked it cold and its sitting at where I filled it up to. Tonight I'm gonna get the HydroCarbon tester and run that. I'm starting to think that I'm just crazy and whatnot. Because durning the day you cant even see the 'smoke' that comes out. You really have to focus to see it. Its just that i noticed it more at night from the way the light catches it. I'll check it with the Hydrocarbon tester and if its good to go then I'll stop my worrying.

Ski
Old 01-05-2006, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rebelord
Well, after I refilled it last night it hasnt gone down any.
when you are checking the radiator, you have to heater on high right? b/c youre supposed to do that. if you dont then its more difficult to get air out of the heater core, and that would explain you having to add fluid over time, as it takes longer for the air to escape the 'core.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Well, as some of you know, I've been racking my head about this crap for the past few days. I had to get the Hydrocarbon test done for $30 because no one will sell the kit to the public. They all rant an rave about gotta be certified for hazmat and what not? Please, I deal with 30million dollar jets, JP8, probally the BEST Mobil 1 oil we use for the jets, 1826, etc.. Most of that stuff is high end Hazmat crap. Anywho, NO hydrocarbons present. Come to find out..I guess I have a pretty rich mixture of Dexcool to water ratio and whats happening is with the cap off it evaporating pretty quickly. Since its a closed system. Its from the dealership mind you. I'm kinda taking it with care, still watching out.

Ski

Quick Reply: Developing weird symptoms of possible blown head gasket?!?