Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this shady or what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this shady or what?

Yeah i took my car to a mechanic to get it put on a scanner because it was tapping. We had already replaced the rocker arms and pushrods, so everyone said it was probably the lifters. I didn't want to just throw more money away so we scanned it and the guy said it was indeed a weak lifter. So i payed to have lifters put in it and we did the valve springs too. Well that didn't fix the problem. Now after throwing $2,000 down the drain I am wondering if he even hooked the damn car up. So i have another guy i know hook it up again, well he finds two codes : po327 which is the number 1 knock sensor, and po405 which is the egr side a. So now i am debating on calling the first guy back and telling him i don't think he even hooked it up and thanking him for taking another $75 from me. Should i even bother, because i don't think i will be able to prove he didn't hook it up. But it really pisses me off. What should i do??
Old 01-19-2006, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:

Sounds like the first guy screwed you.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do what I have done 5 or 6 times....just blow up the speed shop...LMAO
Old 01-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Teching In

I would like to. This guy is a real errogant son of a bitch too. Granted he might be a good mechanic, but why have the attitude? Anyway i think i will give him a call just to see what he says. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had too many experiences like that so I've been pretty motivated to work on my car myself.

I just wish I had a lift!!
Old 01-19-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious as to how he was going to detect a bad lifter with a scan.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didnt you make this same post a few days ago?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/437874-2-000-later-still-tapping.html

Instead of looking for continuous simpathy, do something about it.

You got taken for a ride. If you didnt know you cant tell a lifter is bad by looking at a scan then you need to do some learning to keep from getting screwed again
Old 01-19-2006, 07:27 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-19-2006, 07:30 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
I just wish I had a lift!!
That is the only thing I need.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

same kind of thing happened to me. I took my car to a shop, to have them check the code. They told me that it was a random misfire (which i already knew), but the smoke was from bad rings, and that i would have to buy a new crate motor from GM ($9k) and have them install it for another $1000. It ended up being a broken pushrod.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't trust any shops around here with my car. Most of them try to blow smoke up your *** so they can charge you a nut. That's the #1 reason I work on my car on my own. You can't trust many people these days and the people you can trust are hard to find... Sucks to hear you got screwed. I don't know if you can do anything about it though. I guess you could take it as a very expensive learing experience.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by a3ill
Yeah i took my car to a mechanic to get it put on a scanner because it was tapping. We had already replaced the rocker arms and pushrods, so everyone said it was probably the lifters. I didn't want to just throw more money away so we scanned it and the guy said it was indeed a weak lifter. So i payed to have lifters put in it and we did the valve springs too. Well that didn't fix the problem. Now after throwing $2,000 down the drain I am wondering if he even hooked the damn car up. So i have another guy i know hook it up again, well he finds two codes : po327 which is the number 1 knock sensor, and po405 which is the egr side a. So now i am debating on calling the first guy back and telling him i don't think he even hooked it up and thanking him for taking another $75 from me. Should i even bother, because i don't think i will be able to prove he didn't hook it up. But it really pisses me off. What should i do??
I hate you feel like you were ripped off Most shops will readily show or print out what codes showed up in a diagnostic. IF the first tech said that the scan tool "said" that a lifter was week that is complete BS,there is no code for "bad lifter". I am on the repair side of this delima and have been for years,I wont go into the "discussion" I have with people that have had there car scanned at the "free" places like autozone,etc that have told them that well you have a egr code so you need a egr valve So they sell them the egr valve and guess what.....yeah they come to us and say I KNOW I NEED A EGR VALVE so and so said so,I and tell them OK we can install a EGR valve but please dont blame us if this doesn't fix your problem.....so they say ok just install the valve well of course this doesn't fix the problem and guess who the phuckin bad guy is....yeah us On a LOT of cars you can get a P0400/401 etc that say egr problem but a lot of the time its the DPFE sensor or a stopped up EGR port etc. but the phuckin cheapskates dont want to pay for a true diagnostics,they want the free autozone etc scan then want to bitch when the money they spent on the part doesn't fix their problem,I know this doesn't relate to your exact problem but I just need to vent,FIND a tech and treat him like a trusted doctor and PAY HIM FOR his time you will win in the long run,rant off
Old 01-19-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

to all the above

Our Tech IIs were just updated like a week or two ago, but they still dont show lifter trouble. i'd go back to the first guy and call on him.