Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain to Oil pump clearance???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain to Oil pump clearance???

How much clearance is there supposed to be between the timing chain and the oil pump? I'm installing a double roller and a ported TSP pump with the rollmaster aluminum spacers.

Any other clearance problems? It's a 98 Z-28. I've heard of timing cover problems.... on Vett's??
Old 01-30-2006, 09:59 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I seriously have damn near none...its very close.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine's pretty damn close probably, .05 if I'm lucky!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the more important question is how how off are the crank gear and cam gear from each other? IIRC, the difference should be less than .010". I'm really interested to find out if those that have broken double rollers have actually checked this "run out" before running the motor.

The double roller should have came with shims to shim out the pump.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do you check or adjust the crank to cam gear alignment? I seated the crank pulley all the way... by hand, then I put the old gear on the snout and gave it a few taps to be sure it was seated.

If it came out any farther than the chain would hit the pump, and it can't go back any farther!

I did use the spacers provided by rollmaster for the pump.

Did you modify the pickup in any way?
Thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

You got it right. Everything should line up. Just take a look from the side with the chain on. It should be straight top to bottom. Make sure that your cam gear is fully seated on the end of the cam. Sometimes they get stuck, and don't go on straight.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ashade98
How do you check or adjust the crank to cam gear alignment? I seated the crank pulley all the way... by hand, then I put the old gear on the snout and gave it a few taps to be sure it was seated.

If it came out any farther than the chain would hit the pump, and it can't go back any farther!

I did use the spacers provided by rollmaster for the pump.

Did you modify the pickup in any way?
Thanks
Get the cam gear on all the way, since there is no adjustment. Get a machined straightedge and place it across both the cam gear and crank gear. You can place a feeler gauge under the straight edge to see the difference.

I didn't have to modify the pick up at all like others have had to, but I did purchase a new pick up as I pieced my motor together.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you have any clearance issues with the timing cover?

I realized that I was having clearance issues with the timing cover, on an F-body (don't know if that makes a dif.). I did as SpeedyZ (from Corvette forum) suggested, and put on the cover w/hand and moved it around, then ground off the part that looked like it was rubbing, I MOSTLY did the grinding on the pump though.

I used a sharpie and marked the THREE touching areas (on the pump and the cover) then rubbed and then ground. Took quite a while, I removed alot of material. I hope the double roller is worth it. Kinda wish I'd just went with the LS2 chain. O-well, hope it all works out!