Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Production Eagle Cranks

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 06:26 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Current Production Eagle Cranks

I still read some posts where folks are bad-mouthing Eagle stroker cranks. I'd like to know if this is a throw-back to some of the issues that they had a year ago or are there still some problems.

I'd like to know:
1. Are the journals are consistently ground (mains and rod journals) regarding correct diameter, concentricity (roundness), lack of taper, etc.?

2. Do the counterweights clear the bottom side of the cam, pistons (assuming that the skirts are proper for the stroke and suitable rods are used), etc.

3. Can you balance the cranks without Mallory Metal in the vast majority of cases?

4. Are there other issues?

If not, I think that the Eagles are getting a bum rap. I want to know because these cranks appear to be the best value on the market at present and I will be buying one.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Old 02-01-2006, 10:41 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

TTT
Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve
Old 02-01-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a 402 with the eagle crank. the journals, clearances, and straightness of the crank were right on. I did run into trouble with the counterwts hitting the mahle pistons. this was with the 6.125 eagle rods. Make sure you mock it all up first. I did not and had to remove material from the throws and pay to rebalance crank. I am sure some pistons will clear. I notice that eagles kits use diamond pistons. I would use the crank again. I would also get ls1 specific rods so you get the correct offset and the right side clearance.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:31 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Thanks Chuck, I'm planning to use SCAT or Eagle 6.125" rods and Mahle -12 cc pistons (4.030"). How long ago did you build this stroker? The early Eagle cranks did have counterweight clearance problems. However, this is susposed to have been addresssed about 10 months back.

Steve
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM
I can shift faster than you.

I have used Eagle cranks in quite a few LS1 builds over the past few months. The biggest problem I have had with them is counterweight to piston skirt/pin-bore and journal consistency.

I have also had two cranks bent straight from Eagle that needed to be fixed.

The pilot bearing hole was drilled too big, causing not enough interference fit with the pilot bearing. This is not an issue for your truck though.

Also, the rear plug in the crank has been known to leak. A new freeze plug or some sealer works to fix this.

Jason
Old 02-01-2006, 04:55 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Thanks Jason. This is very helpful.

Steve
Old 02-01-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine in October. I got it balanced in late December. I am using Diamond custom pistons with inboard pin bosses, and Lunati Pro-mod rods 6.125". The counterbalances only had about .035" of clearance with the piston skirts. The skirts were machined down and the counterweights were machined down .020 on the lathe. Mallory metal was added in two places to balance it out. I am not sure if the journals are round or not. The engine builder did the clearancing on the bearings and didn't say anything about the journals. Main journals 1, 4, and 5 all needed 1-under bearings, journal 2 needed one standard and one 1-under, journal 3 needed two standards. Main clearances range from .0017 to .002. The rod journals all needed 1-under bearings for a consistent clearance of .0018.

I am not happy with the quality of the crank. For the price of the crank and all of the machining and balancing to get it to fit I could have gotten a Callies crank instead.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I got mine in October. I got it balanced in late December. I am using Diamond custom pistons with inboard pin bosses, and Lunati Pro-mod rods 6.125". The counterbalances only had about .035" of clearance with the piston skirts. The skirts were machined down and the counterweights were machined down .020 on the lathe. Mallory metal was added in two places to balance it out. I am not sure if the journals are round or not. The engine builder did the clearancing on the bearings and didn't say anything about the journals. Main journals 1, 4, and 5 all needed 1-under bearings, journal 2 needed one standard and one 1-under, journal 3 needed two standards. Main clearances range from .0017 to .002. The rod journals all needed 1-under bearings for a consistent clearance of .0018.

I am not happy with the quality of the crank. For the price of the crank and all of the machining and balancing to get it to fit I could have gotten a Callies crank instead.
DAMN.... I am glad I read that...

Old 02-01-2006, 05:59 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Guys, thanks to this information, Callies Racemaster is the direction that I'm planning to go. I called Callies in Ohio and got them to send me a catalog. I also asked some other questions as follows:

Q -What are the tolerances for the Journal Diameters?
A - Main: 2.5588 - 2.5594", Rod: 2.0990 - 2.0995"

Q - Are these cranks forged and machined in the USA?
A - Yes, Callies is owned by Norden or Norton or something like that. Their parent company is the OEM supplier of the LS series cranks including the LS7. Callies is their high performance division. The parent company makes the cranks at their foundry there in Ohio and the journals are heat-treated (see http://www.callies.com/manuf.html) at the main foundry and sent to the Callies facility for machining.

Take a look at the Callies website as they have some interesting information. I don't want to spend so much on a crank for my truck application, but I don't want to deal with balance, clearance, or tolerance problems either. I'm doing this for some more displacement and torque (normally aspirated) and for fun. I don't want a lot of problems.

It's great to get this high quality feedback from you guys.

All my best,

Steve

Last edited by Steve Bryant; 02-01-2006 at 07:16 PM.