Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do YOU think is happening

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do YOU think is happening

What do you think is not allowing this to start?

1998 Camaro Z28, Custom cam, LT's only, ASP Pulley, Spark Plugs n Wires, No O2 extensions. All plugs seem to be in, new clutch kit installedtranny is up, everything seems ready to go.

At first i tried to get the Starter to turn the Motor w/o the tranny. Diddnt work at all. Then i tried it with the tranny in, no such luck. The battery I have is pretty weak @ aroudn 10 volts or so When i tiried w/o the trans i also tried w/ my T/A's red Optima. I believe all the connections are good and all the groudns as well (any idea of how many there are? I think its three on the drivers head.)

What would this most likely be? a Fuse?, A Sensor? the Battery? The starter (worked fine when i bought the car)? Ground? Relay?

I have a ton of weight reduction including removal of the EGR AIR and entire Heating and cooling HVAC system. How do you check the starter fuse/relay? Let me know waht yall think!! Need to know ASAP firing up 2morrow
Old 02-10-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check and see how much voltage you are getting to the started adn then see how much amp draw there is if its alot its a starter. and i think we need more info. does it click or do anything does it. did it just go out after you did a mod.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

More info, no problem.

The car was down to the blockl and rotating assembly for around a month. it is making the reqdiness sound like everything turning on (just like when you put the car on but do not ignite it) It is not doing ANYTHING just making all those readiness sounds.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Still no luck. New battery w/ charger on it to goive an extra kick. Car is going ON but not cranking at all. I hear some sound fromt he throttle body like a dlicking/winding kind of sound. Everything is in Trans plugs, clutch etc.

Help me out guys!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

try cleaning battery terminals. I know it sound wierd but give it a try and clean all elecrical connections that you removed w/ electronics cleaner. can be bought at your local electronics store. .02

fuerzaws6
Old 02-11-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check your starter wires over again... Make sure your purple wire is on the right terminal, some starters have more than one small terminal and if you swap them it won't start.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

turn the motor over by hand,do two complete rotations on the crank pully.this will insure its not your engine.Just be sure its not really hard to turn and is smooth with no feeling of valves contacting the pistons.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

does the starter even engauge. like can you hear it click. if not they i agree check the purple wire, (it goes on the selinoid stud, must are marked with a samll S next to the stud if theres two) is the securty light on? try and make sure you didnt pinch that purple wire and check all your fuses.
have someone help you, 1 turn the key to where it shoudl start, 2 take a test light and ground one end then put the outher on the purlpe wire if it doesnt light up then you know theres a problem in that system. check any relays there should be a starter on if so switch it with the fuel pump one. this will tellya if its a relay
check and the red battery wire on the starter too.
but i would check the purple wire first this to me is where you problems gonna be.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

The starter does not seem to be engaging at all. So I should just check on the purple wire and make sure its not loose or anything? if it's not take a test light to it? How would i check the relays? I have little knowledge about these electrical setups with the fuses and relays etc so any help would be great

The motor turns over perfectly by hand- done that a good 1000 times lol so i know thats not the problem. It's just not cranking at all. it just sounds like putting the car in the ON position. no strain on the battery or anything cranking the starter over.

I never disconnected the starter cables, so this is what makes me wonder if its the starter itself or any relays which i dont know how to check.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

check the clutch safety switch,its on the clutch pedal,make sure its adjusted properly,if its an auto then check the safety switch for that,which will be on the shifter itself.If these are out of adjustement or got messed up then it wont do anything,just like your describing.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

where on the clutch pedal is it located? Picture!!?!?!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Launching!

I was thinking maybe neutral safety switch.
Doug
Old 02-11-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

i was going to ask if you could cross the starter with a screwdriver or something and get it to start. if so, i would check the safty switch on the clutch and everything associated with it....

you could also use a test light to see if you're getting juice to the starter.

it sounds like something simple, as the majority of my problems are like this:
frustrating as hell, simple to fix.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

You said you tried to start it with out the tranny. We all are assuming you are pushing the clutch pedal. It is not going to hurt if the clutch line is not hooked up but you have to push the clutch for it to turn the starter, to trigger the switch.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah the neutral safety switch,clutch safety switch,what ever its called for the m6,if you get down and look up on the bar that holds the clutch pedal,you will see a button switch that the bar contacts when its in the resting position,and as you push down the clutch pedal,the bar releases this button switch and allows the car to start,thats why you cant start a m6 without pushing in the clutch.Be sure this switch is plugged in and working properly,you cant miss it.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

did you check all the wires under the dash after you ripped it up. it's in the wiring you took apart.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

Update:

Still Nothing! I checked under the dash Everything is connected but one plug, it has a black wire and a gray wire, but nothing seems to be missing anything. There is power going down to the starter, put a testlight on both, I tried jumping the starter, started to work but it wont hold long enough to keep it going. I blew out the stock starter so i would prefer not having to do that again w/ the new one. Brand new battery, even givving it a little extra juice by hoooking up a plug-in charger. nothing. For some reason this is NOT doing SOMETHING and i can not figure out what? If I had my trans am i could pop under the dash and see what up down there, but I still can not figure out why it is not starting to crank over. Do any of the little boxes under the dash (ones like the "integrated body control module") have anything to do w/ the ignition?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, you are saying that the car started fine before you took it apart and when you pulled it apart you lef the starter bolted up and all of the wires connected (you didn't pull the motor). It would be a pretty huge coincedence if the starter failed between then and now but it could have happened.

Did you switch out the hydraulics for the clutch? If yes then you may have left something unhooked under the dash. If not then I wouldn't spend too much time under there.

Is the security light coming on? It could be the kill switch not allowing the car to come on.

When you put everything back together, did you short anything when you connceted the battery? When I put my car back together, I routed the front drivers side ground strap too close to the alternator and did not put the rubber boot up all of the way on the red (hot) wire going into the back of the alternator. I did not realize that that ground strap can't touch anything hot at any point in the strap as the entire thing is a ground. When I hooked up the battery I got a fireworks show. Lucky for me I didn't pop any fuses or hurt the PCM.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Banned

check the ignition switch on the steering colum if its not bolted upp right or if it slides its not starting the car other than that take the time to go over all your wires and tace all your steps ......try another starter
Old 02-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

still no luck huh